Jake Gyllenhaal is the Prince of Persia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jake Gyllenhaal is the Prince of Persia

Jake Gyllenhaal [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0350453/]has been tapped to take the lead role in the upcoming Disney movie Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

Despite originally reporting the role had gone to Gemma Arterton [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265086/], a "feisty and exotic princess" who will help him prevent the Sands of Time from falling into the hands of an evil nobleman with dastardly plans to rule the world.

Pirates of the Caribbean [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000988/]]."

Bruckheimer would not comment on the movie's budget, although he did say, "It's not one of our smaller productions." Filming is set to begin in July in England and Morocco, with release currently slated for summer 2009.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
I think Jake Gyllenhaal's a very talented actor, however I think he has been mis-cast to epic proportions in some roles. Like, for instance, Jarhead, where our boy takes on the role of a guy who can bench-press over 200lbs before he even enlists in the USMC (check the book out, it's awesome). Although to be frank, that whole film was horribly cast (Jamie Bloody Foxx Grrr..) so I'm not blaming him personally.

I just think it might be better to have someone even remotely Persian-looking in the role. Hell, even a mediterranean-looking actor would do.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Benny Blanco said:
I just think it might be better to have someone even remotely Persian-looking in the role. Hell, even a mediterranean-looking actor would do.
While I do agree, a good make-up artist can do amazing things. Unfortunately, I can't give an opinion on the actor himself, 'cause I've never seen any of his movies. And wasn't there a thread on this saying that an actual decendent of Persian Princes was playing the role? I guess that was just a "He might be," not a "He is."

PBatemanJr

May 15, 2008
I really don't give a dam (Gable...GABLE COULD HAVE BEEN PRINCE OF PERSIA) about game-into-film adaptations.....Film staff(including ALL the actors,producers...)should PLAY THE FUCKING GAME,not relly on their WAYOFEXPRESSINGART shit(that comes second).
Honestly do you think that unquestionably talented and foremost gifted UWE BOLL played all the games....before turning them into masterpieces we saw and liked.
It's gonna flop,like the others...of course

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Did I misread that or did they change Farah's name?

And if so, why? Was it offensive or something?

- J

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Well, its somewhat appropriate considering his previous cult hits, too. I mean, Donnie Darko was all about time travel and saving the day too, right?

TheGrue

Mar 26, 2008
Surely they need someone vaguely acrobatic to play the eponymous prince? What about that british thesp that plays Sayhid in Lost? He's already believable as an Iraqi (Persian), he already has a decent accent, and has the right build.

Plus he's like.. not a white American..

TheGrue

Mar 26, 2008
Surely they need someone vaguely acrobatic to play the eponymous prince? What about that british thesp that plays Sayhid in Lost? He's already believable as an Iraqi (Persian), he already has a decent accent, and has the right build.

TheGrue

Mar 26, 2008

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Gyllenhaal will team up with Tamina, played by Gemma Arterton, a "feisty and exotic princess"
That right there tells me all I need to know: this movie will be crap. The choice of words suggest something along the lines of King Arthur, only with less grit : P

'Course, that doesn't mean it can't be half entertaining...

herodg

May 21, 2008
Sayid in Lost is played by Naveen Andrews and he's Indian and does not not look like the prince of persia....plus he looks too old....good actor though.
Oh and also Iraqi's are Arabs and not Persians...Persians are from Iran (side note: Persians are not Arabs...big difference).

I think Orlando Bloom would be much more suitable for the role, he has a very noble look and comes across as a prince while Jake looks more like an emo kid.
And i can bet you that the only reason why Jerry Bruckeheimer did not choose Orlando is because he already did the pirated trilogy.

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
oh man :/ I had hopes for this. JG doesn't bother me, not a bad choice and could surprise us, ever since Robert Downey Jr and Daniel Craig I've learned to be optimistic about unusual choices (not that I was ever a Craig hater). But changing Farah's name? GIVING the nameless Prince a name? What is the point? Why change it? It has no impact on story. *sigh*

TheGrue

Mar 26, 2008
herodg said:
Sayid in Lost is played by Naveen Andrews and he's Indian and does not not look like the prince of persia....plus he looks too old....good actor though.
Oh and also Iraqi's are Arabs and not Persians...Persians are from Iran (side note: Persians are not Arabs...big difference).
He looks more middle eastern than a white American, which was my point, and is already believable as a middle eastern character in an established, popular television show.

Orlando Bloom!? Surely a prince of "Persia" should look Persian? I mean this isn't in the style of 300, and it is live action ... and as far as we know it isn't be reset in LA.. I just naively thought the days of white actors being chosen for every role of any ethnicity were over.

And Southern Iraq was once part of the Persian Empire during the Sassanid Dynasty - Talking about the difference between Arabs and Persians is a little rich when you're suggesting a white British actor would be better suited for the role! Middle Eastern was my point, and Iranians and Iraqis both can pass for Persian, and apparently so can Indians.

Being too old? I can dig that, but I haven't seen him in much recently, and the first season of lost - and other older UK drama's he's been in he
looked young enough.

Sorry for the er.. post in triplicate too.. have no idea how that happened.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Hey, weren't they slated to get an actual Persian Prince a while back. I remember reading 'bout this athletic Iranian guy who had some Persian royal blood in him. Why pick this guy over him?