Jake Lloyd (Anakin Skywalker) Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Pluvia said:
albino boo said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Nah, gonna avoid the obvious joke here. Instead, does anyone else but me find the tendency of child actors to go bad kinda... depressing?
I suspect its the realisation that whatever you do for the next 65 years of your life its the film that you made at aged 10 is what you will be remembered for. In the words of F Scott Fitzgerald, there are no second acts in American lives, your greatest achievement was done when you were 10
You think? I don't really think it would be that hard to just sort of fade back into a semi-normal life. I mean look at all the child actors from Harry Potter, who are far bigger stars than this guy, and they're fine. They went and got degrees or they do things they want to do, like stage shows or more films.

I think it's less to do than some realisation, more to do with the parents.
The kid from Harry Potter were in an acclaimed series for quite a long time and grew into teens/young adults by the end. They weren't in a movie that bombed hard and then got a lot of hate from that movie. It's one thing to fade out from successful movies after you've aged over the years, it's another when you're a little kid and getting shit on by everyone.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Pluvia said:
albino boo said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Nah, gonna avoid the obvious joke here. Instead, does anyone else but me find the tendency of child actors to go bad kinda... depressing?
I suspect its the realisation that whatever you do for the next 65 years of your life its the film that you made at aged 10 is what you will be remembered for. In the words of F Scott Fitzgerald, there are no second acts in American lives, your greatest achievement was done when you were 10
You think? I don't really think it would be that hard to just sort of fade back into a semi-normal life. I mean look at all the child actors from Harry Potter, who are far bigger stars than this guy, and they're fine. They went and got degrees or they do things they want to do, like stage shows or more films.

In case you missed it Daniel Radcliffe was in Rehab last year.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
thaluikhain said:
There is a lot of that, yeah. OTOH, lots of adult actors lose the plot as well, and parenting isn't usually said to be an issue.
Adults have no recourse to blame their parents for their actions, the line is fuzzy but I'd say that about mid-teen is where parenting begins to be less prevalent than the idea of personal responsibility. Its kind of an incomparable situation. Not all poor adults are a product of bad parenting, but a good chunk of child actors becoming poor adults can be traced back to shitty parents.
Its a weird dichotomy yes... but again also two incomparable situations.
Here's the idea I've had: Child actors never really get to be children so they grow up wanting to be irresponsible brats... I can honestly look back and say that I had many moments of stupidity and irresponsibility as a child but I grew up into a responsible adult because of the experiences of being a kid. If I didn't have those I probably would have been a much shittier person than I've turned out to be.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Most of the child actors who lose their shit also had horrible parents. See Macauley Culkin and Lindsay Lohan for starters, also Britney and Jami Lynn Spears. Also, the biggest exampple, Michael Jackson.
Not all of them go stupid, Hilary Duff apparently turned out ok as did the chick from Alex Mack and the girl from My Girl. And Natalie Portman. But mostly they go stupid because of poor parenting.
I can also think of Jodie Foster. Though I wouldn't blame her if she went crazy. Having a nutjob try and kill the leader of your country just to impress you can fuck with your head. Also one of the twins that played Uncle Jesses kids from Full House went on to be a sound editor for Game of Thrones. The other ones a firefighter.

I blame the parents. Have you seen Dina Lohan? And Michael Jacksons dad should be punished for fucking up Michael like that.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Eh, he's been messed up for a long time. He needs to drop the victim complex and move on with his life.

I'm not saying he hasn't experienced a rough childhood. I'm just saying it's not the fault of a movie he was in at age ten.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
LeathermanKick25 said:
Rednog said:
Pluvia said:
albino boo said:
CrazyGirl17 said:

The kid from Harry Potter were in an acclaimed series for quite a long time and grew into teens/young adults by the end. They weren't in a movie that bombed hard and then got a lot of hate from that movie. It's one thing to fade out from successful movies after you've aged over the years, it's another when you're a little kid and getting shit on by everyone.
Episode I bombed hard? The fuck?
I think in terms of reception. The general consensus is that episode one sucked.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
LeathermanKick25 said:
Didn't really stop the likes of Christian Bale. With with Lloyd it's just always seem like nothing more than whining. He got the role in the comeback of one of the biggest franchises in movie history, not to mention it wasn't even his first acting job so he knew what was required. Ever since he's just gone to conventions and bitched about it, being a complete antisocial prick in a lot of the interviews where people are obviously going to ask him about Star Wars.

He could of put time and effort into being an actor and made something of himself like Christian Bale or Leo Dicaprio and be remembered for other acting achievements.
I think part of the issue here is the environment growing up, and Hollywood, especially regarding the film sectors of town, is a cesspool beyond repute. In the case of Christian Bale, along with the cast of the Harry Potter movies, there's an important factor: Being British. For the most part older British actors and actresses try to be good influences on the kids, they also try to make the work of acting fun, especially for the kids. Robbie Coltane for example had fun with the kids, by telling them dirty jokes and being a bit irresponsible. On the other hand Michael Gambon, Warwick Davis, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, and their like amongst the older actors and actresses will try to be positive role-models, and impart wisdom. While American actors and actresses sometimes do this, there is more of a culture of passing on the art and responsibility to younger generations amongst European acting professionals.[footnote]One of the few good things I can say about any part of European culture.[/footnote] American acting professionals have a culture, at least any more, of grooming their image, not giving a shit about anyone else, preaching in a self satisfied way, and running around being entitled. The latter rubs off on the kids, especially if their parents are irresponsible, especially when the parents either let them use their movie money, or use their money on them selves and ignore the kids. The good parents on the other hand are involved, keep trying to mold their kids, and save the movie money for important things later, like education.

Leonardo DiCaprio on the other hand is a shit stain in his own right. Though in his case he put his energy into continuing his career, self promotion, grooming his ego, and preaching from a smug self superior position. This is in contrast to many child stars, especially American ones who spin out in to self destruction.

Not everyone has the strength of character to handle fame responsibly, this is especially true with children, and it does happen even when they're surrounded with positive role-models. Though in that last point they generally get a clue before they completely destroy their entire lives, because of the positive upbringing. The problem with American child stars is they tend to get surrounded with self promoting, self centered, asshats of celebrities, then generally have self serving parents who don't give a shit about them.[footnote]Parents in this case who are more interested in fame and money, than they are in the welfare and development of their children.[/footnote] It's partially a crappy culture that turns child celebrities into aresholes, it's part bad parenting, and it's part they let the fame go to their heads. While quite a few actually can rise above it, many more succumb to the lure of fame, which kind of gives a free pass to people, where the worst consequences are a slap on the wrist. When it comes to becoming famous as a child it's very perilous path, especially without good guidance from parents and other adults, while a few can over come it, not letting the fame go to their heads... Those ones are the exception, not the rule, because fame tends be a corrupting force, even among adults, but especially with children. So in part you can blame their shitty grown behavior on the shitty examples they get as kids, the absent, or neglectful parents, and the way society tends to treat celebrity status.

Essentially while some can overcome a bad upbringing that comes with fame, money, and praise, it will corrupt most. So it's better if they have some positive role-models growing up. Some are better than most and can handle the fame, most just can't...

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Could be worse ... he could have gone all former Power Ranger on the cop. What is it about that show that breeds murderers?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
One of the few good things I can say about any part of European culture.
Oi! I'll have you know we have great culture over here in the Olde Worlde.

*puts on bowler hat, tucks baguette under arm and goes to eat some pizza*