James Spader Cast as Ultron in Avengers Sequel

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
James Spader Cast as Ultron in Avengers Sequel

Best known for his role in legal drama Boston Legal, James Spader adds on another role in an entirely different universe.

A few days after news from DC about the new Batman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127114-Ben-Affleck-is-The-New-Batman], Marvel has announced the casting for the villain to next gather the Avengers together. Emmy award-winner James Spader, known for other roles in The Practice, The Office, and Lincoln, will play the titular villain in Avengers: Age of Ultron. The specifics of the role are unknown. The sequel will hit theaters May 1, 2015.

Writer and director Joss Whedon has already stated that Ultron, the mechanical villain of Marvel lore, will differ from the comics. Whether Spader will be providing motion-capture or a voice-over is unknown. Previous speculation had suggested Tony Stark's artificially intelligent computer JARVIS, voiced by Paul Bettany, could be a possible link to Ultron for the movie sequel, therefore changing his origin story in the comics. Footage at Comic-Con also seemed to hint at a connection between Tony Stark and Ultron as his Iron Man helmet becomes Ultron's metallic skull at the end of the video.

"As a character I love [Ultron] because he's so pissed off," Whedon said to Entertainment Weekly. "He's always trying to destroy the Avengers, goddamn it, he's got a bee in his bonnet."

Spader stars in NBC's new drama The Blacklist beginning Sept. 23. Characterized on IMDb as having a trademark smooth voice and a tendency to play "sleazy, sneaky villains," Spader may prove to be an engaging force for Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://marvel.com/news/story/21099/exclusive_avengers_age_of_ultron_casts_james_spader_as_the_films_legendary_villain?LSID=6148872|10859501|tqq2wc0azg1j]

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I actually only know Spader as Daniel Jackson from the 1994 Stargate movie. If he no longer has that ridiculously floppy hair to get in the way, his acting chops aren't bad at all. He fits in to SciFi/Fantasy rather well.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I see this as a subtle way of softening for the fact they cast him as Dr. Pym as well.

TiberiusEsuriens said:
I actually only know Spader as Daniel Jackson from the 1994 Stargate movie. If he no longer has that ridiculously floppy hair to get in the way, his acting chops aren't bad at all. He fits in to SciFi/Fantasy rather well.
He is not too bad, I liked him in the Cronenberg films and thought he played a decent enough Danial Jackson.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I enjoyed Spader alongside Shatner in Boston Legal, he was great in that, so I'm perfectly fine with this.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Good choices all around here I think. Ultron is a good second movie villain, and James Spader's a good choice. I liked him most in Star Gate, but I think his Robert California persona in 'The Office' already came off as a kind of creepy, insane, sentient robot sometimes. :)

mrpollio

Oct 18, 2012
I would like him play Ultron as E. Edward Grey from "Secretary." It would definitely spice up the series.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
You couldn't buy her, though, that's what's killing you, isn't it? Ultron? That's it, Ultron. She thinks you're shit. And deep down, you know she's right.

I really hope they don't cut Pym out of this, but that's what looks like happening.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Ahh, a film I wanna see has the man from Stargate in it, so I'm definitely looking forward to this now.

Might have to go watch Stargate tonight now.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Honestly, I had no clue who Spader was until I hit IMDB. Almost forgot he did Stargate. Still, its an interesting choice and I like to see what he can bring to the party.

laraghboy

Jul 14, 2010
Oh thank god!! I always get him confused with David Spade, the little blond twat from Rules of Engagement. "What the fuck were they thinking!?"

But Spader is a pretty decent actor, so I suppose I'm on board with that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Well I enjoyed Spader alongside Shatner in Boston Legal, he was great in that, so I'm perfectly fine with this.
It's actually his time opposite Shatner that turned him evil

Spader is pretty awesome, though. Boston Legal especially.