James Stephanie Sterling YouTube Account Suspended

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Jim has this exaggerated, indignant view of how much a billion dollars actually is, and how much it could help. They say Bobby Kottick, net worth $600 million not a billion, could pay all the medical bills of the entire nation. And that's now how math works. Lets give him a billion, just round up to the nearest billion. There are 330 million Americans, which means Bobby Kottick has enough money to give everyone....$3.
Now granted sure not everyone has active medical expensive, but well Jim...have you ever had a serious medical bill? My cousin gave birth last month, and for her day and a half stay in the hospital, no complications, no surgery, no serious issues, just giving birth, cost $48,000.
Billionaires are a problem sure, but they're not the reason people die from lack of medical care because of price. People die because a hospital thinks they can charge $3000 for skin-on-skin contact to a new mother who just wants to hold her baby. And for all the shit Bobby Kottick deserves, he didn't create for-profit healthcare, and certainly doesn't have enough money to pay the medical bills of the entire nation.

I mean fuck's sake Jim, do some math before you bark about the evils of capitalism next time.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Jim has this exaggerated, indignant view of how much a billion dollars actually is, and how much it could help. They say Bobby Kottick, net worth $600 million not a billion, could pay all the medical bills of the entire nation. And that's now how math works. Lets give him a billion, just round up to the nearest billion. There are 330 million Americans, which means Bobby Kottick has enough money to give everyone....$3.
Now granted sure not everyone has active medical expensive, but well Jim...have you ever had a serious medical bill? My cousin gave birth last month, and for her day and a half stay in the hospital, no complications, no surgery, no serious issues, just giving birth, cost $48,000.
Billionaires are a problem sure, but they're not the reason people die from lack of medical care because of price. People die because a hospital thinks they can charge $3000 for skin-on-skin contact to a new mother who just wants to hold her baby. And for all the shit Bobby Kottick deserves, he didn't create for-profit healthcare, and certainly doesn't have enough money to pay the medical bills of the entire nation.

I mean fuck's sake Jim, do some math before you bark about the evils of capitalism next time.
Wasn't Sanders M4A costed at 40 Billion a year? I cant remember if that was the Conservative estimate or his.

That information came out not to long ago and should probably be a good guide for how much you need

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wasn't Sanders M4A costed at 40 Billion a year? I cant remember if that was the Conservative estimate or his.

That information came out not to long ago and should probably be a good guide for how much you need
I thought it was something like $13 trillion over 10 years. But either way Jim's little soapbox tirade loses a lot of its hitting power when you realize they're talking out of their ass.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Holding Bobby responsible for every ill in the country is a bit much.

However Kottick taking a bonus far larger then the measly sum that's required to keep people employed does seem deeply immoral. They don't need to fire those people, they can afford to keep them around and there's likely plenty of projects to put them on. The only real reason to fire those people and render them unemployed during a pandemic is because Kottick and his crew....think its funny perhaps? There doesn't seem to be any real reason for it otherwise. Sure the numbers look better to the investors but those investors are already shown a record amount of profit. No need to torture people just to show the investors some pocket change.

That bonus probably being several times higher then the salaries of all those people combined especially just rubs salt in the wound.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The thing is, CEOs used to be rewarded for running a company well. Now they're rewarded for running a company profitably. These two things are not identical.
Running well meaning everyone who is working for the company is content and happy working for the company

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

$48,000? What the fuck is that? What were they providing that they can charge over a thousand dollars an hour?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think this is a common problem in games media in general...a lot of people just...write about games and that's it. They don't expand their skillset to be viable at other jobs and thus get stuck just making the same thing over and over again because it's what sells, even to the detriment of their own creative mind.

This is something I learned really early because I didn't get the same opportunities that a lot of people get living on the coasts and having easy access to the "right" people. I ran my own websites and I hoped I'd get somewhere with it, but by the end of college I was pretty sure I was never gonna make it.

So over the years I've become extremely fluent in SEO, analytics, UX design, event planning, community management, etc. If I ever get burnt out doing this stuff, then I have fallback options to move into that I equally enjoy.

Also creating content that's just constantly...angry...I'll never get it. It just seems like a quick way to screw up your own mental health and become so jaded that you can't enjoy the work or daily life. Maybe that's exaggerating a bit, but based on how people act on social media, I don't really know.
I've grown a huge amount of respect for James Rolfe over the last few years because of that. He was one of the earliest big personalities in the online video reviewer space yet when I look back on his stuff he seems to have understood this burnout aspect of what he did and made sure to separate the Angry Video-Game Nerd as a character he plays and also looked into other things he could do besides it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
$48,000? What the fuck is that? What were they providing that they can charge over a thousand dollars an hour?
They were providing a hospital bed in San Francisco. And that's it. No complications, no surgeries or emergency procedures. Just goes into labor in the morning, goes to the hospital, gives birth in the middle of the night, leaves mid afternoon the next day.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Welcome to capitalism in medical insurance. I'm sure that USD48000 is in addition to whatever insurance premiums the family coughs up every month. Shit like that is what causes people half-crushed by a metro train to beg rescuers not to call an ambulance because they can't afford it.

Further, and admittedly this is a very simplistic take on it, but considering the very fundamental concept of medical insurance, when you apply capitalism to it: what in the name of hell is the logic behind selling an insurance policy to someone with pre-existing chronic conditions? This isn't necessarily for you to answer, but I'm yet to get a sensible explanation, so I'm sure we can wait together.

Reactions: tippy2k2

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Welcome to capitalism in medical insurance. I'm sure that USD48000 is in addition to whatever insurance premiums the family coughs up every month. Shit like that is what causes people half-crushed by a metro train to beg rescuers not to call an ambulance because they can't afford it.
I read that the average cost of an Ambulance is like $500 per mile. Truly it is cheaper to get a premium limo at $270 per hour than an ambulance to drive you 1 mile to the Hospital.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I read that the average cost of an Ambulance is like $500 per mile. Truly it is cheaper to get a premium limo at $270 per hour than an ambulance to drive you 1 mile to the Hospital.
I wasn't aware that a limo was kitted out with things like defibrillators or staffed by trained medical personnel.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Yup, this is true. Lived in a small town for college, took the ambulance once which was literally less than 5 minutes down the road, $250 out of pocket.

Utterly ridiculous.

Heck, for my heart condition, I have to get some scans done like once year and that's over $1000 each time I do it for them to tell me everything looks right, see you later.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I wasn't aware that a limo was kitted out with things like defibrillators or staffed by trained medical personnel.
They're not, but it doesn't do anyone any good to get to the hospital with a $4000+ bill already, and then all the medical attention afterward. The average cost of treatment for a heart attack is $40,000, and that's without the ambulance. Less than giving birth in the bay area, sure, but still enough to give you a second heart attack.

But this all goes back to my earlier point Jim made that Bobby Kottick or others like him have enough to pay the medical bills of the entire nation, and that's just not true. I don't think Jim has had a serious medical bill. They've thrown their back out, sure, and got a steroid injection, but they've never gotten a $30,000 bill for a broken leg.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Not to mention that people will often be sent to the hospital in an ambulance, for conditions that aren't severe enough to need a defibrillator or any number of things. It's the default method to get someone to the hospital in any medical situation, whether it's life threatening or not. One reason people refuse the transportation.

Fear of medical debt is a huge problem in the US. My own wife had a situation years ago, when he gall bladder was loaded with stones, and was basically dead. She was bedridden she was in so much pain, and was in a near panic about having to go to the hospital, because she was afraid she might need surgery, and we had no insurance at the time. She was in agony, and I had to basically DRAG her to the car to take her to the hospital. I mean I even said to her "You could die from whatever is wrong with you right now, and you'd rather that than have a medical bill? I don't give a fuck about a bill, get in the car." and she was STILL reluctant.

And yes, we ended up with a bill of like...40-50k if I recall correctly? And she's hardly unique in that mindset. It's a stupid aspect of human reasoning, but "if I just ignore it, then it won't be a bad condition (because I don't KNOW it's a bad condition), then it will be ok, and I can avoid a bill." Is a common mental rationale people use, and it's how people die from preventable conditions in this country. They would literally rather die than be in debt....but often end up in debt anyway, when the condition worsens, and the bills become more extensive. Plus burial costs, now all dumped on their surviving family.

So yeah, a "for profit" medical industry, is, surprisingly, not really designed to provide maximum care, but is instead, designed for maximum profit. What a shock.