James Vega Voice Actor Revealed!

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
TBH if there was a stereotypical soldier chaarcter in Mass Effect that would ironically be diverse in comparison to most of the cast. But he's not, he has a background, motivations and views. However, simply because he has a faux hawk and has some elements people don't like he therefore must be an idiot : /

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
I just hope he has a better personality then Jacob. Don't get me wrong, I still like Jake, but I didn't go out of my way to converse with the guy. Nonetheless, I look forward to meeting James and think that it's unfair that some people are dismissing him as a generic soldier type. Wait until you play the game, then dismiss him as a generic soldier type!

On a completely different note, is it weird that when I saw the Rachni Queen I wanted to cuddle her? She's so cute.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Phlakes said:
Screw the new guy, did you see that gameplay footage? That shit looks amazing. I was kinda expecting the third installment curse to strike again here, but this game looks better than the second and first in every way.
I liked the space battle stuff, but Shepard sparring with Vega looked bad. Shep just looked bored the entire time, and his face didn't change.

Sep 14, 2009
DustyDrB said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
He was Fred Jones in the Scooby Doo movie. That's not a very good background, actually. Even though I did like that movie, but mostly for reasons not having to do with its actual quality.
just curious (as i did enjoy that movie myself also) what do you exactly mean by this? why is it not "a very good background" ?
He hasn't been in many good movies. Though I haven't been paying much attention to films the last 2 or 3 years, so he could have snuck something in.
ah i get your point.

and you are right, he's mostly stuck to tv/voice roles in the past 5ish years

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005327/

(honestly, with as hot of wife as he's got, i'd be spending more time with her and less with movies in his position)

still, from the short bit i liked his passion for it so hopefully it shows up a bit better in the game.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Phlakes said:
Screw the new guy, did you see that gameplay footage? That shit looks amazing. I was kinda expecting the third installment curse to strike again here, but this game looks better than the second and first in every way.
I liked the space battle stuff, but Shepard sparring with Vega looked bad. Shep just looked bored the entire time, and his face didn't change.
Default Shepard looks a lot more derpy this time to me. Hopefully mine [http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/DustyDrB/Photoon2011-04-07at19242.jpg] will look about the same.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
scnj said:
Oh no, a marine who looks like he's actually done some physical training! He clearly can't be a well written or defined character!
isn't the concern(when it's actually written in proper English and contains arguments) that writing for this kind of character tends to be really poor and basically be just "dude is a soldier", or if we are getting fancy "dude used to be in super special forces"?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
teebeeohh said:
scnj said:
Oh no, a marine who looks like he's actually done some physical training! He clearly can't be a well written or defined character!
isn't the concern(when it's actually written in proper English and contains arguments) that writing for this kind of character tends to be really poor and basically be just "dude is a soldier", or if we are getting fancy "dude used to be in super special forces"?
I guess, yeah. But the writing in the Mass Effect series has been excellent so far, so I don't see any reason why this will be any different.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
When he was first spoilered, I dispised Vega. I thought he was going to be a dumb character, and I hated his model. But now I'm actually starting to like Vega.

We'll see for sure once the game comes out. I can't wait!

Jan 18, 2012
Pardon my ignorance but, who is this guy? The character I mean, not the voice actor. I can gather that he's supposed to be a new party member (maybe to replace Kaiden/Ashley that you killed off) but who is he in context to the overarching story?

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I have two things to say:

1. I'm glad that he is actually a fan of Mass Effect and knows what he is talking about instead of just a random voice actor.

2. I'm like 99% sure I saw the rachni queen like halfway through the video. If I'm right then my excitement for the game just went up quite a bit.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Oh, hey, looks like the Rachni Queen is showing up after all.

I kind of like him. Sometimes it's nice to just have a character whose there to do business and nothing more.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Sorry, I'm just going to do this now and get it out of my system.

RACHNI QUEEN SQUEE!!!!!

*ahem* sorry. I'm really looking forward to how they tie all the choices from the first 2 games into the finale. This is a particular high point for me though; I loved the mission to Noveria in ME1 and I loved the Rachni queen. In all my playthroughs I don't think I've ever killed her!

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
maybe its because he was bored...

SecretNegative said:
Damn it, and I who had supressed Male Shep's horrible voiceacting. I mean damn, you could atleast try to put some emotion in there. Why can't we have someone else as the protagonist? Something who's not an amotionally dead robot with actual personality? Yeah, I really don't like Shepard.
i disagree, compared to usual male protagonist voices in western media which either fall into 'gruff cookie monster made flesh who seriously needs a dozen lozenges' and 'over the top all american hero who swears and talks loudly alot "oo-rah!"', i've found that male shepard's voice actually sounds the closest to normal or believeable.

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Idk the exact usage of posting other game websites links, but here is the quick video to it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/james-vega-mass-effect/726004

the one and only Freddie Prinze Jr is the voice of james vega! This will be quite interesting I think, and from the video it seems like he's a pretty big mass effect fan himself so i'm sure he'll have quite some passion into playing the character, so I'll be pretty intrigued to see how this character plays out now (even if he looks like guido #456 from mtv)

so any thoughts? maybe change your mind about vega? or hate him even more now for that fact?
It's very quiet, but at 2:11ish you can hear what sounds like Shepards gun overheating... maybe they've finally combined overheating and the universal ammo?

On topic, I like the fact he actually seems like a genuine gamer, and not just a voice actor bioware thought would be "relatable". I am very excited

Camoman

Feb 12, 2009
Legomaniac91 said:
Pardon my ignorance but, who is this guy? The character I mean, not the voice actor. I can gather that he's supposed to be a new party member (maybe to replace Kaiden/Ashley that you killed off) but who is he in context to the overarching story?
We don't know who he is as far as the big picture. All we really know is that he's a soldier of some variety (No kidding, huh) and that he met Shepard after Anderson assigned him to
guard the imprisoned Commander.

Oct 11, 2011
I looked awesome and I'm curious to see how he plays out. FPJ seems like a good voice actor...I just hope BioWare doesn't make him into another Jacob (useless both as a character and as a squadmate)

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Ok, it's nice that he doesn't sound like a normal spacemarine with a voice that sounds like he's been smoking for 40 years, Shepard actually has the voice of a human being, but it's really the acting that bothers me, he dounds extremely bored with very little motion, combine that with the immovable Bioware-face that can not shot emotions Shepards really is a borefest, in my opinion.
So play FemShep - she rocks! I love her voice too - I think most fans agree that Jennifer Hale does an awesome job.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Is it just me, or did I see some distinctly CoD-style "sliding down slope" gameplay in that video.
More scene transition than gameplay... although that would make for an interesting segment.

Anyways, as far as flat voice acting goes, I'd always assumed it was so that the player could overlay their own emotions onto the scene. But that could just be me covering for Mark Meer. I don't think he's awful...