Japan Self-Defense Force Applications Rise With Adoption of Mascots

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Slycne said:
Cause nothing says self-defense quite like a hail of rockets from a gunship.
There. Fixed. Got to make sure Japan keeps in line with those post-WWII anti-militarism policies. ;)

But, yeah, old news, I know. As of May 2013, Japan has started work on full-scale rearmament of the country. Probably explains the moe (to increase enlistment), but I wonder why they're still called the Japan Self-Defense Forces. Renaming was supposed to be a part of that active rearming.
They are keeping the "self-defense forces" bit because of the Treaty that ended WWII (the one that said that Japan pretty much could not have a military except to repel invasion) and because of politics. Heck, for 65 years they did not really need a military because America was right there (and the treaty also said we would come to their aid). The people probably do not want a full military again.

With that said, I suspect the rearmament is in response to North Korea being unpredictable and China still pissed off at Japan for what happened in WW2. For those who do not know, the short version is that the Imperial Army (of Japan) almost made Hitler look like a saint. Unlike the western world who has pretty much forgiven Germany, China has not come close to forgiving Japan. As I understand it, tensions have been running high recently to. With America talking about a reduced military presence (less then before 9/11 even), Japan may be preparing for a day when they will be fully responsible for their own national security again.

Maybe I am oversimplifying it a bit, but that is how I read the situation anyway.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Losers....

I have to agree with the article's final lines: if there are indeed fine young patriots enlisting with the Self-Defence Forces purely because they have goddamn anime mascots these days, they need to be marched over minefields probably aren't cut-out for military life.

That said, I would like to see a historical twist on this stuff for the Imperial Japanese military, perhaps some "Moe" girl in IJA uniform using an Australian nurse for bayonet practise.

My apologies, I don't mean to be a grouchy kill-joy, but these kind of "cutesy" anime really rubs me up the wrong way!

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Nicolaus99 said:
Don't see the author's problem. Several generations of youth born and raised on anime, it makes perfect sense to use anime to market to them. These representative characters are essentially commercials appealing to X age group. That these commercials connect with X age group should come as no surprise to any exercise of common sense.

Why the snobbish butthurt? It's just a series of pictures that inspire interest and brand recognition. It gets butts in seats; train them to be whatever.
Well, on the one hand, what you're saying is true, and you see manga-style mascots, signs, infos, and what not in official contexts in many places in Japan.

However...

As someone else said, the military is not just any branch of the government, it's a particularly proud one. Even if you don't mind the manga style, one would think that you could think of mascots that represent the ideals and values of the military better than cute, unthreatening lolicon girls.

I'd also be surprised if Japanese feminists are all too happy either with using lolicon imagery to advertise for the military.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Thought I'd pop in to give a bit more light on the China-Japan thing. Like most historical and political matters, it's generally not a case of one side is evil and the other is good. I want to say this won't be everything, as 5000 years of sitting next to each other and poking each other with sticks is a lot, and whilst I am getting a degree in this, I certainly don't know everything.

The current situation in East Asia can be viewed as worrisome.

Historically, China was once the world power of the East. It loomed large and strong, and the surrounding countries were either influenced into having very similar values, or simply paid tribute to them. Think of it similar to the US of A today. American culture is a large import now, and Chinese culture then. That's why East Asian countries have similar values, remants of Chinese characters in language and speech, and so on.

China saw itself as the rightful adopter of all of the world, and especially that of East Asia. A similar mindset to that of Ancient Rome; all is lesser than Rome, and for the glory of Rome, all shall eventually be conquered. China has always regarded any country especially that paid tribute to them as Chinese; Japan was once such a country, and in the mind of the Chinese popular culture, Japan is something of an unruly child, much like Tibet or Taiwan or Hong Kong, and in the vision of China, all of these either already belong to China or should do.

Japan, however, has since moved away from China, and in a similar fashion to the English and the French and the Spanish, that proximity to each other and sovereignty and time has led to Japan moving away culturally and there has always been an undercurrent of hatred; this came to a head during World War 2.

Known as the "Rape of Nanjing", the Japanese army came onto Chinese soil and destroyed towns, killed any from men, women and children and raped all they could find before killing them; a death toll of 66 million. The mindset during this time was that the Japanese were an advanced race, and that treating their prisoners like this was fine as they were animals and not really human (similar treatment was given to Western PoW). Eventually the Chinese managed to fight back, but in the West, this event is barely taught. In China, this wound is felt fresh; a similar mindset as American media portrays 9/11 is felt.

It hasn't helped that Japan has never apologised publicly for these events either.

After losing World War II, Japan was placed under American protection, and was effectively forbidden to ever have an army; in exchange and protection, it was placed under American protection. Fast forward to more modern times.

China has now grown to the second largest economy, a fifth of the world's population and has over 40 years of the Communist Party controlling all media. However, there are a large amount of problems; pollution, corruption, wealth disparity. These are things it is forbidden to try and change (very simplified, but I'm already writing an essay). It sees itself as a world power; rivalling America. It's people believe that China is Rising, to borrow that phrase from Battlefield. Now, you can try to complain about the government. And be "invited to tea" for "spreading rumours".

But the Chinese government has been using foreign powers as a scapegoat for many years now. Pollution? The foreigners want us to make things and don't care if we are poisoned. Wealth problems? China is a developing country and these rumours are foreign media trying to create chaos and disruption. President Xi JinPing has even given a speech saying that "China mustn't allow foreign ideas to encroach onto Chinese sovereignty." Chinese people are taught from a young age that China is a golden land facing evil from any and everyone who is not Chinese, victimised to know that every other country is gunning for China, and lands that belong to China have been stolen. Anyone who is pro-"Foreign" is a traitor. According to one person I spoke to, she was convinced that America would give a shot to anyone returning to China to make them stupid in case they work for the American government. This wasn't a stupid person. She was highly educated, went to a British uni, and yet had no trouble believing this. The level of indoctrination is impresssive, if worrying.

You may all remember the recent event of the island near Japan which Japan bought from an American business man and there was something of a brouhaha. And by that, the Chinese media whipped up the Chinese into riots against the Chinese and anything remotely Japanese was destroyed. To China, despite legally belong to Japan, those islands were Chinese and the Japanese had no right to them. And now, China has increased it's air space to cover a large amount of sea, including sea that belonged to Japan, Korea, Phillipines and 7 other countries without consultation from any international body or those countries. This has caused a few feathers to be ruffled in those 10 countries. China has explicitly stated that anyone caught flying in those places would be shot down. Japan and the rest refused to acknowledge China's claim, so they flew anyway.

On the borders of the seas, both China, Japan, Korea and such are all "practising" military exercises in sight of each other's territory. When the Phillipines was damaged, China initially offered "£10,000" before increasing it to £1 million due to international pressure, as China felt slighted when Chinese citizens were murdered on Phillipine soil.

In Japan, however, the new President Abe has been shown to be a supporter of the old Japanese ways. Japan, like China, has always seen itself as the King of Asia, and has always eyed other countries with the view to conquer them as well. He has spoken of "standing up" to China, and has given several very provocative speeches towards the Chinese people. He is rebuilding an army. He has recently gone to a shrine built to war heroes; those same war heroes who killed 66 million Chinese people. Japan, as I have said, has never apologised to China, and probably never will.

Other countries have gotten involved; Cameron visited to try and improve relations with China, but didn't even get involved in that kind of stuff. The other East Asian countries have basically sided with Japan in this. America sent Biden over to China, which was both a smart and stupid move. China and America also have their issues (and I won't get into them because this post is long enough), but America disrespected China by sending Biden, not Obama. However, in the current international mindset, China believes itself to be the most powerful, and is, like Japan, building a large military but unlike Japan, also has a near fantastical grip on the mindset of it's populace. So America did need to show China that there is someone much bigger ready to take it down (while America has set-backs, it does also have the best equipped and trained military, and a culture which nearly supports that military to the same extent as China).
And by focusing the rage of the people internationally, they are more likely to forget about the numerous problems at home.

So, to summarise, China and Japan has always been at each others throats. Recently, they have both gotten leaders who are very nationalistic, and have reignited those old Imperialistic tendencies. China has recently begun heavily focusing on becoming anti-foreign, and Japan has focused on becoming anti-Chinese (while a little anti-foreign thrown in as well). China has made some very internationally unpopular and inflammatory actions, and Japan has done very insulting media stunts against China. America has thrown it's weight in there as well against China, and not very politely either. It's a powder keg of egos, history and media manipulation.

I hope this was somewhat interesting as a brief introduction into East Asian International Politics.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
I wonder what mascot would work for the US Military?
an overweight bald eagle on an suv-scooter, wielding an assault rifle in one hand, a bucket of kfc in the other, rocketing down a broken street in desperate need of repair passing dilapidated houses long abandoned by people who couldn't afford a 800k loan on a 500 square foot property while simultaneously dying of a heart attack brought on by type 2 diabetes due to a lack of health care?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Nicolaus99 said:
These characters are just an extension of a commonplace Japanese phenomenon of moe characterization which we appear to agree upon.
What difference does that make?

If you make them all grim and realistically older it would kind of defeat the purpose of the new advertising campaign and may in fact drive DOWN recruitment.
Well, a similar campaign anchored in western popular culture could use characters like Commander Shepard, Lara Croft, Ellen Ripley, or that Milla Jovovich character from Resident Evil (and I'm sure there are some manga characters/archetypes that would fill the part too) with a message like: Join us and you get to fight alongside (and maybe bone) these hot badass chicks. That would obviously be pretty sexist, especially the implication in brackets, but at least not as bad this Japanese campaign.

Leon Declis said:
(...)I hope this was somewhat interesting as a brief introduction into East Asian International Politics.
Your effort of educating others is certainly admirable... I guess... but how is that relevant in this context

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
CloudAtlas said:
Leon Declis said:
(...)I hope this was somewhat interesting as a brief introduction into East Asian International Politics.
Your effort of educating others is certainly admirable... I guess... but how is that relevant in this context
Basically the conversation was moving towards it with a few other posts, so I thought I'd give a quick overview so if it veered off a cliff into politics talk, there would at least be some balanced and common knowledge. *shrugs*

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
hakkarin said:
I wonder what mascot would work for the US Military?
I don't think the US is big on making mascots for entire military branches. They seem to just stick with mascots for individual regiments and squads and stuff.

I mean look at these guys.

[spoiler ="Waddy's Wagon"]
[/spoiler]

They don't need a mascot. They are the mascot!

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I know people are trying to compare this to the busty mascots of years gone by, but aren't these thirteen year old girls? That's weird no matter how you slice it, and even more so with a national military involved.

At any rate, it seems they know their audience.