Japanese City Blatantly Rips Off Pikachu For Mascot

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
ZeppMan217 said:
Looks more like Pichu to me
I thought the same thing. He's obviously supposed to be one or the other, and I guess really if he's either he's technically the other.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmmm, well I'm not going to say that its not suspect.

But I do like the Japanese idea of having mascots for causes, movements or even towns. My favourite is still the mascot for Hikone, love this little guy......

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/dscf0874.jpg/]

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
llafnwod said:
Toriver said:
"Hey kids! Pikachu can't stand there and generate power all day for you! It wants to play, too! Give it a break and save some power!"

"Remember to keep Sudowoodo's home clean! Throw away your trash, and recycle!"

"Don't waste water or else Gyarados will F***ING DEVOUR YOU!"

Yeah, great PR...
Are you being sarcastic? Because I'm not even a kid and that last one is making me reconsider ever using a toilet again.
The actual idea of licensing pokemon was not sarcastic or ironic, but yes, the examples were supposed to be sarcastic for teh lulz.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Why not just keep Pikachu?! I bet people would listen when there's a chance their ass will get zapped

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Umm... It looks rather generic mascot to me anyway, so... I am not calling rip-off here, since there are so many pokemons you are bound to end up making something similar.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
oh thanks escapist now Ive gone into japenese youtube Im watching japanese cat videos

OT:Hehe leaf type pickachu wow I have a new Idea for a pokemon

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
wait i got it
every city chooses a mascot that resembles a pokemon and when evera dispute pops up
I choose*pikachu in everything but name*
Go get 'em *ripped off mew*

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I like the ears, and it's weird how the costume is so different from the original sketch, but what really gets to me is how they even ripped off the mouth and nose. I mean, big eyes and rosy cheeks are pretty common, but it shouldn't be that hard to come up with a different mouth and nose.
I agree with the hope to add it to the new pokémon game.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Well, I think we got one of Pikachu's future evolutions here.

Captcha: Problem hed
Not at all captcha, not at all.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Well, the cartoon version doesn't look THAT much like pikachu, it's mainly the costume.

AbstractStream said:
Well, I think we got one of Pikachu's future evolutions here.

Captcha: Problem hed
Not at all captcha, not at all.
Congrats on 777 posts by the way.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
in fairness, i don't think that "ripping off" quite covers whats happened there... some one's just thought "That looks cool, lets do that!"

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Doom972 said:
Well, the drawing doesn't resemble Pikachu that much (though it still looks like a pokemon) but the costume just looks like a repurposed pikachu costume.
If they made it more like the drawing - wider head, point for a nose, and a different smile shape it wouldn't be such a blatant rip-off.

Note that this is a certain drawing style widely used in Japan. There are many anime characters who look very much alike.
It wouldn't kill them to recolor it, either. :/

Also, why didn't they just name it Leafachu if they thought nobody was going to notice how much it resembles Pikachu (or Pichu, depending on which ones you're familar with)?