Japanese Company Develops Ultra-High Capacity LI-ON Battery

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Mobiles shmobiles. Electric cars and Solar Energy storage will be the big beneficiaries.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Adam Jensen said:
Not that impressive considering that we're very far into developing technology for a battery that will be 2000 more powerful and recharge 1000 faster.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153614-new-lithium-ion-battery-design-thats-2000-times-more-powerful-recharges-1000-times-faster
"Comparable energy density"? That's not impressive at all. It can power two thousand smartphones instead of just one (and presumably burst into flames in the process), but only for 1/2000th as long. It doesn't extend battery life one iota.

EDIT: I'm increasingly suspicious that this Escapist article is a reprint of a mistranslation and the Japanese "breakthrough" is also not one of total capacity. After all, increasing total capacity is difficult even in theory. Increasing power output from that capacity? All you need to double the power of a battery is split it into two smaller batteries. Not really a big deal.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I'm suspicious of this breakthrough. I know from my work that the main issue with new battery design isn't increasing capacity or energy density but rather the battery lifetime. Laboratories are able to make very effective li-air batteries and other advanced batteries but the issue with them is they only last 20-100 charge cycles at most before losing voltage, on top of being very vulnerable to physical damage. The fact that there is no mention of the lifetime of this new battery makes me very skeptical.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
This is godsend for me.

The only way my phones lasts an entire day is by using a massive extended battery that can dislodge with a slight vibration, shutting my phone down. So. Many. Friggin. Times.

To be able to have extended life with a regular battery? I've reached Nirvana.