Japanese Composers Say Western Game Music is "Dry"

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
The thing is, Japanese games by default have more thought and work put into their music. I can think of many many, very many games that have catchy music. So many they create a rule. A rule that is not followed closely in the "West" (when will people realise that Japan is considered a Western culture?)

There are quite a few british and american composers that I like. Grant Kirkhope, Dave Wise, Jerry Martin and others I cannot mention by name.

Of course, the respective list of japanese composers is much longer.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I can honestly say I see (er hear I guess) myself humming a ff battle theme or practically anything made by nobuo a lot more than most american music (though the halo theme is catchy)

Osaka-chaness

Jul 4, 2009
I have to agree. Most music from Japanese games are AMAZING.

However what about Michael Giaachino and David Bergeaud? THEY are awesome! (For those who don't know, Michael did the music for Black and Call of Duty 1, and David does music for the Ratchet and Clank games)

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
I love it how people are using The Elder Scrolls as a staple of WRPG music. Those peasants at Bethesda dont seem to give a shit about their music in games. They had Jeremy Soule, the guy who did ICEWIND DALE and TOTAL ANNIHILATION and the sum of Morrowind and Oblivions music combined is two fairly nice theme tunes and a bunch throwaway music for exploration and combat that repeats so often you often forget its even bloody there.

If youre going to say "JRPGs have better music and WRPGs" use the Baldurs Gate series, Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Icewind Dale 1&2 as examples of WRPG music done well to compare against JRPGs. Bethesdas attitude towards music in their games means the soundtracks never even come close to those classics.

Oh and as for the topic. I disagree. I think Western developers have the budget and the technology AND what it takes to make great music, and thats why I prefer Western music over Japanese.

Edit: I would have liked to have mentioned Mass Effects music because I think its brilliant, but thankfully Ive seen plenty of people who have already shown appreciation it in this thread, so I didnt see the need.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
To be honest, having an awesome soundtrack is secondary to having an awesome game for me. I'd much prefer to play Fallout 2 (though incidentally this does have a very atmospheric soundtrack) than any JRPG with an awesome soundtrack.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
If by "dry" they mean a different style to annoying bubble gum pop that makes my ears hurt, bring on the dryness!

RamzaHyral

Sep 7, 2009
I don't know, they're kinda hard to compare. I mean, you've got two completely different cultural backgrounds your talking about. Two totally different sounds. They might stick to the same Keys, scales, and notes, but at the very least, we've got different rhythm structures. We're just culturally different, not necessarily dry...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I do tend to like the music in JRPG's more than western games, excluding the Elder Scrolls games. The main theme to Morrowind is amazing, Oblivion and Skyrim are pretty good too.

I don't like the J-pop stuff though.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Nobuo Uematsu or it never happened.

I half agree with them. On one hand, you have these Japanese composers who put their hearts and souls into the music (See: Final Fantasy). And you can realize that as soon as you hear it. Hell, up until today, FFX's ending theme still gives me the chills.

On the other hand, there are some pretty interesting composers on this side of the pond. Skyrim music, anyone? Or even better, Metal Gear?

But overall, I do prefer Japanese composers. They do try harder and stuff. I'm just gonna leave it at that.