Japanese Engineers Build Creepy Robot Baby Head

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Engineers Build Creepy Robot Baby Head

The neighborhood kids probably aren't robots. Unless you live in Japan, that is.

Engineers at the Univeristy of Osaka in Japan have put together a robotic baby head, in order to aid in research into the development of human intelligence. The team designed the robot, called Affetto, to be as human-like as possible.

Studies into social and intellectual development have tried using robots before, but the data was skewed because the robots wouldn't react as a real baby would. This, in turn, would affect how the subjects would react to it, making it more difficult to collect the necessary data. Affetto, which is modeled on a 1-2 year old child, is an effort to eliminate that problem, and help advance the studies. Presumably the head is just the first step in the process, and the team will eventually attach it to a robot body. Realistic facial movements or not, it's still just a head right now, which makes it hard to react to it like it was a real child.

I have to say that while this is quite unnerving, it's still not a patch on the hospital robot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104771-Creepy-Hospital-Droid-Watches-You-When-Youre-Sick] that keeps you company while you're sick, which was, funnily enough, also made in Japan. Unfortunately, the team behind the robot also posted a video of Affetto without its skin - which you can watch below - and that's much, much more scary.

Source: GetRobo [http://www.getrobo.com/getrobo/2011/02/meet-affetto-a-robot-with-realistic-facial-expressions.html] via Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/02/this-robotic-ba.php]

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Thank god I have all day to forget this as to avoid the nightmares... o_O

Aug 25, 2009
I like that apparently the engineer's best ideas of how to treat a 1-2 year old are to roll its head around a lot to see how well it can track you.

And that second video is like the terminator. Deeply, deeply, unsettlingly creepy.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Veloxe said:
Thank god I have all day to forget this as to avoid the nightmares... o_O
Thank god I have this to help me think of something besides Amnesia while I goto sleep. T_T

Also, am I the only one looking at things like this and that nurse video and thinking that we're one step closer to living in the Ghost in the Shell universe?

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
That... is freaky creepy.

Especially since its only a head... reminds me of some of those Asian horror movies >.<

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
SOMEBODY STOP THEM! CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT THEY'RE DOING!?!

GOD!! Am I the only one who knows whats gonna happen if they keep down this road?

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I CAN'T UNSEE IT.....IT's.....It's in my heeaaaad heeeeelppp.

On a slightly more serious note, DAYUM that's creepy.

Fingerthing

Mar 19, 2010
When will the Japanese realize that you can't make a human robot without it giving off some serious un-canny valley feel?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I have a pretty bad Frankenstein Complex, and yet I don't find this nearly as unnerving as a living, breating, human baby.

That hospital one, though? Fuck no. I wouldn't want that thing anywhere near me.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Oh man...
I love robots and AI tech, but please make them less creepy.
Ever heard of stylism?
I'm gonna have nightmares now.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Really, we need to finish those robots already. We need to give them a free will and then we must start a war against them. Humanity needs a visible, common enemy.

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
I'll never understand why anyone finds robotics creepy. I feel left out, because it seems like an entertaining experience.

Instead, though, I'm creeped out by people who find it creepy. The Uncanny Valley suggests things to me about the people who experience it that I'm not too keen on at all.

G_Man_007

Jul 13, 2009
Wait, none of you guys had the first thought of Daft Punk's Technologic in your heads when you saw those videos, especially the second one? Colour me shocked.

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it
Trash it, change it, mail upgrade it
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it
Snap it, work it, quick erase it

Ecetera...

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Like Quiet Stranger, I am scared of what this is all leading us to.