Japanese Paper Hushes Up MGS4 Story

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Japanese Paper Hushes Up MGS4 Story

The Japanese business journal that first reported the possibility of Xbox 360 [http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/en/] has apparently changed its mind about the story, but rather than retracting the report it's pretending it never happened in the first place.

As is by now widely known, the Kabushkiki journal, published by Japanese investment firm Morningstar, reported a statement by Konami PR representative Yoshitaka Arai saying the company was addition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86834] of other PlayStation exclusives to the 360 catalog, coupled with the fact that Arai is a Konami employee, lent the statement considerable credibility.

But now, as J-Cast News [http://www.gamecyte.com/japanese-newspaper-retracts-mgs4-on-360-quote] that the release should not be considered a correction, but rather a "second appearance" of the same report.

When contacted about the change, Konami once again denied plans to port Metal Gear Solid 4 to the 360, while Microsoft Japan had no comment.

Maybe this is how things are done in Japan, I honestly don't know, but from a North American perspective the whole deal comes off smelling fishy. A retraction would make it clear that this was a legitimate mistake: The guy misspoke, or was misinterpreted, or was drunk and thought it'd be funny, or whatever. But this "second appearance" looks like nothing so much as a cover-up, with all the conspiratorial nonsense that implies. I have no idea if MGS4 will ever come to the 360 and to be quite honest I couldn't care less, but if Konami is serious about making these rumors go away they're doing a remarkably poor job of it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Not that I don't appreciate the news you post for us Maly, but the same picture? In two very closely linked threads posted hours apart? :( Makes me sad.

Edit: Looks like that paper's not exactly on solid ground.
Perhaps they need to put the pedal to the metal and backtrack.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh those crazy Japs, so different from our usual way of doing things.

This does smell fishy, but whatever happens happens.

But my god, there's alot of MGS4 news articles now! Jeez!

EDIT:
Amnestic post=7.74224.825847 said:
Don't you DARE start acting like Melasis!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Jumplion post=7.74224.825863 said:
Oh those crazy Japs, so different from our usual way of doing things.

This does smell fishy, but whatever happens happens.

But my god, there's alot of MGS4 news articles now! Jeez!

EDIT:
Amnestic post=7.74224.825847 said:
Don't you DARE start acting like Melasis!
I only wanted to do it because he hadn't posted yet. I'm done forever now, I have fulfilled the objective.

Yeah, as a 360 owner the injection of MGS4 somewhat bores me. Until it's actually announced by Kojima/high ranking Konami man in a press release, I'm going to keep assuming we're not getting it and wait until I have enough cash to splurge on a PS3.

JuniorMartin

Jul 21, 2008
Stepping back and looking at this from a pr perceptive It seems that all we succeeded is giving MGS 4 free pr.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
WE WILL NOT MAKE GAME FOR GAIJIN MACHINE! YOU HAVE DISHONORED NEWSPAPER AND FAMILY COMMIT SEPPUKU NOW!

So you see, the reporter cannot retract his story, because he's dead.

Vampire_Hermes

Oct 16, 2008
Racial stereotypes aside, maybe it is how retractions are made in Japanese publications. It might also suggest a cover up, which is certainly my Western instinct. As I said in the other thread, though, all we can do is wait and see.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I don't think they really need to put MGS4 on the Xbox360.

Unless it's sells did that bad on the PS3 and they are looking to make money. But even then, it seems far fetched.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74224.826433 said:
TsunamiWombat post=7.74224.826014 said:
WE WILL NOT MAKE GAME FOR GAIJIN MACHINE! YOU HAVE DISHONORED NEWSPAPER AND FAMILY COMMIT SEPPUKU NOW!

So you see, the reporter cannot retract his story, because he's dead.
I would have written that, but then I remembered, I'm not a racist.
Neither am I but if you don't think the fact that Sony is a Japanese Electronics Company comes into it your just being silly. Always support your own economy over someone elses.[

Goodness your such a negative nancy...