Japanese Robots Building Moon Base

The Singularity

Jun 3, 2008
2.2 billion? Their going nowhere fast. Thats nothing for astronautics. They probably can't even get the robots for that amount of money.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Radeonx said:
Dyp100 said:
Radeonx said:
...They are taking over.
PREPARE FOR THE ROBOT UPRISING!
If they uprise on the moon, we'll be fine.
I don't think you understand the situation.
First comes the moon, then, they will build a moon cannon, then, they will fly in and destroy the planet.
We are doomed.
Aren't you a wizard? -Eyebrow raise- I think someone is too lazy to use his eye lasers to blow up the moon.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Dyp100 said:
Radeonx said:
Dyp100 said:
Radeonx said:
...They are taking over.
First comes the moon, then, they will build a moon cannon, then, they will fly in and destroy the planet.
We are doomed.
Aren't you a wizard? -Eyebrow raise- I think someone is too lazy to use his eye lasers to blow up the moon.
If I blow up the moon, I can't take over the robots and enslave humanity with my wizardry.
Good point.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
I for one wouldent mind seeing them succed would put the usa in there place (im not saying that in an offensive way).

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Radeonx said:
Dyp100 said:
Radeonx said:
Dyp100 said:
Radeonx said:
...They are taking over.
We are doomed.
If I blow up the moon, I can't take over the robots and enslave humanity with my wizardry.
Good point.
-Puts on witch-hunters hat- I'm on to you.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
we the Japanese have created a giant "laser" on the moon. with this giant "laser" we will annihilate major citys on the hour unless you pay us....... 100 billion dollars!

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
well, at least the robots will have a good base of operations to take over the human race now...

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Keava said:
Twilight_guy said:
I wonder why everyone wants to colonize the moon? It's just a lifeless ball of rock and dirt. You're going to to put more resources into making it livable then it'll be worth to colonize it. Oh well, at least we can take trips to DisneyMoon in the future.
Mostly because its reachable in relatively short time compared to other suitable planets. We have to start somewhere so we know it is worth to try further away. Earth to Moon is around 380,000 km while to Mars we have 55,000,000 km at best case. Since we dont have fast inter planetary travel yet its obvious we will try to get at least Moon thing working.
Also, Helium-3. It's rare on Earth, plentiful on the moon, and can be used in nuclear fusion for energy.

So what I see happening here is:
1) Japan builds robot base
2) Robots begin to mine He-3
3) Japan uses He-3 to power bigger, more efficient robots
4) GUNDAMS. (Or maybe sex dolls that can kill you? It'd be like any anime with the always-angry female lead)

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
god, japan is awesome
they are really the country you NEVER fuck with
they'll do some weird and awesome things to you

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not likely to happen, as it would start a war. Wishful thinking though.

A long time ago when I used to be intrigued by the idea of a moon base. I even had a children's book called "The First Travel Guide To The Moon" which was set up like an actual tour guide to a non-existant lunar base.

Then reality hit, and I found out that both the US and USSR wanted to build bases on the moon but it was agreed that the moon would be "extranational territory" as it no nation could build a permanant structure there. This fueled by concern that a nation could effectively "conquer" earth's satellite for all intents and purposes, or use it to place missle bases aimed at the planet under the guise of a "research station" or whatever.

A lot of the things from science fiction that people could hypothetically do with a moon base have been thought of, and basically as long as the world remains divided into seperate nations it's not likely to happen.

I'd be surprised if Japan actually does anything besides talk about it, and perhaps plan it. There could be problems if they actually landed materials/robots there for real.

This is one of the reasons why I believe a world unity is nessicary for any serious space exploration. As long as the globe remains divided bickering over resources, and concerns over territory on things like the moon, or in the astroid belt, would render it impossible. Most concepts that deal with a divide globe somehow going about any kind of serious space exploration oftentimes gloss over key issues that would prevent it from ever happening.

I mean it's a neat idea and all, and I hope they develop the technology so it can be used when humanity is (hopefully) unified, but other than that it seems to me that they're jumping the gun in a big way.

Consider also that few people trust Japan despite the buisness they do. There are still hard feelings over that entire Imperialist thing which was less than a century ago, and nations like China and Korea might be diplomatic, but largely because the US has Japan under permanant occupation (even if we don't call it that) and we base mega-tons of our Navy there, it being one of our major pipelines into the Eastern World.

If Japan actually did it right now, it would basically be an American project for all intents and purposes (like it or not), we keep a close eye on their military/science/etc. This means that the USSR would likely get their panties all up in a bunch about it, as would China, and everyone else.

A sad truth is that one of the things that has held back space development (and again why I think like I do) is everyone being paranoid about what everyone else might put up there during "peaceful space research" as I said. Plus nobody is going to let you effectively stake out real estate on The Moon for fear of the precedent it could set.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
What's so good about the moon? If we colonise it, we'll still have to leech off the Earth anyway.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Hmmm...Seems like an interesting idea, though I doubt it'll accomplish much.

In any case, it's nice to see some progress towards space colonies being made.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Screw all that. The Japanese robots will soon feel the burn of the Mooninites when they form the Quad-Laser. Instant end to the moon robot revolution. But maybe they can bring back some of that sweet Moonijuana...

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
Strategia said:
And in 2025, they'll send the first human colonists to the moon.

With Gundams.
Yup, to combat the robots which have, by then, gained sentience and are plotting their invasion of our planet!

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Is it just me or does the one closest to the bottom look like an Asimo with treads and a solar panel on its head?