Japanese Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer Has Loads of New Footage

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Japanese Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer Has Loads of New Footage

"Hope is not lost today... it is found."

If you thought we were done with new The Force Awakens trailers, you were wrong. Disney's Japanese YouTube account has uploaded a new trailer for the upcoming Star Wars, packed full of new footage and dialogue. The last Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released less than a month ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142901-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-First-Full-Trailer#&gid=gallery_4893&pid=1], but the new one gives us more Rey, more lightsaber, more BB-8, a glimpse of C-3PO, and a Wilhelm Scream thrown in for good measure.

Much like all other images and footage of the film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142880-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Theatrical-Poster-New-Trailer], there's no sign of Luke Skywalker. The new footage made my mind come up with loads of predictions regarding Luke, Rey, and Kylo Ren, though.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which has blown away previous advance tickets sales records for Fandango, AMC and Imax [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/149068-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Destroying-Existing-Pre-Release-Ticket-Sales-Records], hits theaters December 18th.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ugh. I forgot that the lightsabers were now going to have that 'flame' effect around them, instead of just being a solid beam of light. Unless that's just a result of Kylo's being built that way. Please let that be the case.

Anyway, YES! More Star Wars stuff. Once again, I find myself excited, despite trying not to be. This is looking better and better.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Ugh. I forgot that the lightsabers were now going to have that 'flame' effect around them, instead of just being a solid beam of light. Unless that's just a result of Kylo's being built that way. Please let that be the case.

Anyway, YES! More Star Wars stuff. Once again, I find myself excited, despite trying not to be. This is looking better and better.
It's just a side effect of Kylo's DIY saber, probably used some cheap Jawa duct tape.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Wait what? Why are marketing people such crazy morons sometimes? Why release a Japan-only trailer if you know it's going to be viral within 10 seconds?

Release this stuff internationally you dummies! Not everyone and their dog hangs around on sites like the Escapist you know.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, Abbram remember to added in the wilhem scream in the movie.

Apr 17, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
I think it's just Kylo's. I think the one Finn's using seems to be the more solid kind. Could be supposed to represent some kind of "instability" with Kylo himself

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
1:19 Finn ignites the blue one which looks completely normal. So that's just Kylo's saber.

OT: Nice trailer but really didn't tell us anything new. I mean, yeah, new scenes are always nice, but it's not like we couldn't have extrapolated any of that from the old trailers - save for the scene where Kylo captures Rey. I think that's the only new bit.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Probably the most telling thing about this trailer is that...unlike the last one which tried to give each primary character a few seconds of screen time and an introduction...Rey is VERY much front and center.

Anyone still holding on to doubts she's your new central character can probably let them go now.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I still had hope after he was missing from the trailer, but Jar Jar isn?t on the poster or in the Japanese trailer for The Force Awakens, which means he?s more than likely not going to be in the final film. So it?s a hard pass from me, I?m afraid.
Jar Jar is one of the key elements of the series. He helped establish the tone of the series when the first movie was released in 1999. Seeing him gradually phased out over the next two movies was massively disappointing. No wonder parts 4-6 were released straight to DVD.
Now Star Wars is finally back in theaters, and an opportunity to get back to the heart of the series has been lost. Such a shame.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
John the Gamer said:
Wait what? Why are marketing people such crazy morons sometimes? Why release a Japan-only trailer if you know it's going to be viral within 10 seconds?

Release this stuff internationally you dummies! Not everyone and their dog hangs around on sites like the Escapist you know.
But look at the extra coverage it's gotten. Rather than just watch ONE general trailer, you've now watched 2 trailers. They'll probably release a third Uzbekhistan or Norway trailer...and you'll watch that, giving the film extra exposure.

Although, whether a film like this needs extra exposure is debatable.

I just laugh at the Japanese release. Poor Japan always gets films months later than everyone else (sometimes 8-10 months later). I hope they enjoy watching the film some time when we're all watching its sequal. hah

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Objectable said:
I still had hope after he was missing from the trailer, but Jar Jar isn?t on the poster or in the Japanese trailer for The Force Awakens, which means he?s more than likely not going to be in the final film. So it?s a hard pass from me, I?m afraid.
Jar Jar is one of the key elements of the series. He helped establish the tone of the series when the first movie was released in 1999. Seeing him gradually phased out over the next two movies was massively disappointing. No wonder parts 4-6 were released straight to DVD.
Now Star Wars is finally back in theaters, and an opportunity to get back to the heart of the series has been lost. Such a shame.
God, why is there no 'rep' ability for posts? I'd rep the hell out of this.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If Kylo Ren turns out to be Luke Skywalker, I am personally going to go to Hollywood to kick Abrams repeatedly in the shins. What a stupid, lazy, lore-antithetical "twist" that would be.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Callate said:
If Kylo Ren turns out to be Luke Skywalker, I am personally going to go to Hollywood to kick Abrams repeatedly in the shins. What a stupid, lazy, lore-antithetical "twist" that would be.
Don't be silly.

Kylo Ren is Luke Skywalker's sith apprentice.

See, Abrahms wants to re-write the prequels. So Luke Skywalker is playing the part of Senator Palpatine, while Kylo Ren is playing the part of Darth Maul.

Mar 26, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
As others have said, I think it might be the unstable crystal he uses in his lightsaber. From memory in one of the Knights of the Old Republic games if you used certain crystals they gave a weird effect like that or they crackled or something.

How awesome is that shot of the TIE Fighters coming out of the sunset! Gave me goosebumps.