Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - Lightsaber Beats Blaster

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, i played the game a lot and was really exited fir academy. which was just a fun game. just played outcast last month after getting the whole bundle on steam on special, since my retail version isnt working anymore. had a good time but yeah, its still hard at times and also the damn layout of the maps makes me always scratch my head what were the architects thinking.
still a fun game though and i still can recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of a hard FPS title. unless you enter cheats in and just enjoy slaughtering stormtroopers with your saber since you can cut them in to pieces.

V3rtig0

Mar 3, 2012
While I liked it, I did not find it as good as its sequel, Jedi Academy. This is probably to do with having played Jedi Outcast AFTER already having finished Jedi Academy, while also playing it close to a decade after it was released, when it inevitably starts showing signs of aging.

Having said that, it was still a thrilling ride, particularly after the frustrating beginning levels when you have no lightsaber yet. Pass that point, get the saber, and even though the guns are not rendered fully obsolete, no one in their right mind would want to switch back to them when you can jump, slice and dice through dozens of bad guys. As stated in the article, immensely satisfying.

Which brings me to an opportunity to ask a question: from my knowledge, The Force Unleashed games also include third-person perspective lightsaber combat with force powers. How, in your opinion, do they compare to the Jedi Outcast games? I have been meaning to try them out (the upcoming movie hype really did re-spark my fascination with the SW universe), but was unsure because of somewhat negative reviews and lack of time (or dedicating that time to something more fun and/or productive).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Man, I have fond memories of those games.

Jedi Knight was a lot of fun but the light-saber combat was a little bit difficult to use, something that Jedi Outcast fixed nicely. My biggest issue with JO was the forced stealth mission near the end of the game(oh, suddenly I have to be quiet because otherwise I'd have to kill more of the troopers I've been murdering by the ton thus far?) and that stupid, stupid comm relay puzzle.

For those who don't remember, you're on the bad guy's capital ship and you need to send a message off the ship through the ships relay. The problem is, instead of having you access a panel or maybe a few buttons like any normal person would, this ship has a series of nodes arraigned in a 3D cube array hung over a bottomless pit, that is only accessible by force jumping.

Guess what you get to do for the next 10-15 minutes? Yep. Whoever thought that puzzle up needs to have their cell phone replaced by similar array in their home, operated the same way. Then they can tell me how much sense it makes and how it's not incredibly annoying.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
V3rtig0 said:
Which brings me to an opportunity to ask a question: from my knowledge, The Force Unleashed games also include third-person perspective lightsaber combat with force powers. How, in your opinion, do they compare to the Jedi Outcast games? I have been meaning to try them out (the upcoming movie hype really did re-spark my fascination with the SW universe), but was unsure because of somewhat negative reviews and lack of time (or dedicating that time to something more fun and/or productive).
The Force Unleashed series is really good. The combat system and Force powers are intuitive and powerful, while still offering a challenge, and it's not bogged down by super confusing puzzles of the last generation. Its team knew lightsabers and Force battles were what everyone wanted, so they built all gameplay around that. Probably the closest comparison is God of War meets Star Wars, although the combat feels fresh enough that it wasn't a straight copy-paste job.

I thought the story was surprisingly great too, at least in the first game. Force Unleashed 2 is more of a decent expansion than a sequel, and the story is weird, but the combat itself still holds up.

That being said, your mileage may vary depending on which version you play. From what I hear, go with PC Ultimate Edition or one of the Sony/Xbox consoles. The Wii version is to be avoided. I played the PSP version of FU1 for its historical duel mode, and liked it, but it didn't have the glossy textures that made the other versions look fantastic for the time.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fanghawk said:
V3rtig0 said:
The Force Unleashed series is really good. The combat system and Force powers are intuitive and powerful, while still offering a challenge, and it's not bogged down by super confusing puzzles of the last generation. Its team knew lightsabers and Force battles were what everyone wanted, so they built all gameplay around that. Probably the closest comparison is God of War meets Star Wars, although the combat feels fresh enough that it wasn't a straight copy-paste job.

I thought the story was surprisingly great too, at least in the first game. Force Unleashed 2 is more of a decent expansion than a sequel, and the story is weird, but the combat itself still holds up.

That being said, your mileage may vary depending on which version you play. From what I hear, go with PC Ultimate Edition or one of the Sony/Xbox consoles. The Wii version is to be avoided. I played the PSP version of FU1 for its historical duel mode, and liked it, but it didn't have the glossy textures that made the other versions look fantastic for the time.
Pretty much same opinion for me. I LOVED Force Unleashed 1, gameplay and story. FU 2 was..less Forcetacular. The gameplay was still just as spot on, but the plot was basically not there at all. The missions felt totally disconnected, and no overarcing narrative at all. I personally enjoyed FU more than the Jedi Knight games, specifically for the way they handled the Force powers and combat. I really wish they would make more games using that engine. Doesn't have to be about Starkiller, I couldn't care less who the Force user is that I'm playing as, or when they lived. Just let me fling handfuls of stormtroopers into other stormtroopers, and snatch tie fighters out of the air to fling at AT-ST's, and I'll be a happy little Padawan.

V3rtig0

Mar 3, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Fanghawk said:
V3rtig0 said:

Pretty much same opinion for me. I LOVED Force Unleashed 1, gameplay and story. FU 2 was..less Forcetacular. The gameplay was still just as spot on, but the plot was basically not there at all. The missions felt totally disconnected, and no overarcing narrative at all. I personally enjoyed FU more than the Jedi Knight games, specifically for the way they handled the Force powers and combat. I really wish they would make more games using that engine. Doesn't have to be about Starkiller, I couldn't care less who the Force user is that I'm playing as, or when they lived. Just let me fling handfuls of stormtroopers into other stormtroopers, and snatch tie fighters out of the air to fling at AT-ST's, and I'll be a happy little Padawan.

Thank you both for the feedback! Sounds like the force might be strong with these, should probably seek out a copy of TFU1 in the nearest future.
And as for the dropped quality in the plot of the second game, oh well. I'm not averse to dated graphics or a weaker plot if the gameplay is satisfying. Like Jedi Academy's was. And if you say that they at least have good saber combat down, well, that's good enough for me!