Jeremy Renner Wants Hawkeye Series on Netflix

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Jeremy Renner Wants Hawkeye Series on Netflix

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1301/1301060.png

The Hurt Locker and Bourne Legacy star recently stated an interest in bringing the Avenger to Netflix.

The success of Marvel's Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix has been something of a game-changer for both parties. While Netflix has been able to enjoy some of their hugest non-Adam Sandler-related success [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165781-Adam-Sandlers-Ridiculous-Six-Is-Netflixs-Most-Viewed-Movie-Ever] thanks to that time-tested MCU bump, Marvel have been able to dominate a mostly untapped market, and will likely continue to do so when Luke Cage and Iron Fist trickle out sometime this year.

With shared universes being all the rage in superhero/comic book industry right now, it's only a matter of time before Marvel starts giving their more "established" characters the Netflix treatment. The first actor to throw his hat in the ring: Jeremy Renner, who recently spoke of his interest in such a project during a spotlight panel at Silicon Valley Comic Con.

I think that's actually a really great model, if there's ever a way to explore the character, maybe it's in that world. These are things that are really not in my control, but I'd be open to it. I've really enjoyed getting to explore the character more recently. The Netflix model is where all the character drama goes to now, you're doing a superhero movie or a Netflix or HBO kind of model. So I'd be open to it. Not up to me, though.

Hawkeye may not seem like the most obvious (or interesting) choice for a standalone Netflix series, but he also has a much bigger built-in audience than the likes of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage by pure virtue of being an Avenger. Basically, crazier things have happened (and will happen) in the MCU than a Hawkeye series, but the question is, would any of you want to watch it?

Other highlights from Renner's spotlight included his interest in also pursuing a Hawkeye and Black Widow movie -- "In a second. I'd love to do that," he stated -- and this exchange between the actor and a young fan who was confused by the "will they or won't they" nature of the pair's relationship despite the fact that Hawkeye is a married man.

Hey, at least he didn't call Black Widow a slut.

Source Comic Book [http://comicbook.com/2016/03/19/jeremy-renner-open-to-a-hawkeye-netflix-series/]

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Might as well. Same goes for Spidey too because Marvel Netflix can give these characters more light and flesh them out more. Yeah the budget will be small but it means the story can be explored more and not do the whole 25 episode crap.

Also, the last line. That was a year ago and did you bring it up to make a silly... who cares.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Hah, then there will be two shows airing about men who fight crime using a bow and arrow. One wears green and the other purple.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Jeremy Renner says "yes, I would like more work."

(I'm so cynical.)

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Hawkeye is never going to get enough spotlight in films and he's a likeable character, so it seems like it makes sense. Hopefully we'll get all these Netflix/tv tier Marvel characters cropping up in eachothers shows too, like all the crappy Saturday morning cartoons I used to watch.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
ritchards said:

(I'm so cynical.)
To be fair with his role in different large movies unless he suddenly becomes an A-lister he's pretty much is the sweet spot of having consistent work on the big and small screen, but that work is probably not going to lead to much more popularity as it is.

OT: As much as I'd watch such a series, a Punisher, Cloak and Dagger, Moon knight, Runaways or Alpha Flight (I don't know where the line is on that one between Marvel and Fox) series would be ones I'd sooner ask for then a Hawkeye one.

Also, when the hell are we going to see S.W.O.R.D. in the MCU already?

Often

Apr 18, 2010
ritchards said:

(I'm so cynical.)
Eh, looks like he's got two stand alone movies coming up in addition to his Marvel stuff and a Bourne sequel. He's fine.

Edit: *looks at join date... looks at post count* My name is clearly perfect.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I wouldn't mind maybe a Thunderbolts series. Converted villains led by Hawkeye would make a better show than a Hawkeye-only project. I like me some Hawkeye but he's not solo material.

Dan of Hats

Aug 18, 2014
I think there's potential for some interesting stuff you could explore with Hawkeye in a Netflix-style series - everyone rags on the guy for being boring or uninteresting, but that's only because he co-stars with such outlandish characters. Give him a good writer and explore a story where we confront the fact that he straddles the mundane and the superhuman world, and you've won half the battle; you'd already have a damn fine actor for the role after all. He's also got no flashy super powers save some trick arrows, so the budget for special effects can be kept under control, which is really the major sticking point on whether this would ever get made or not.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Maxtro said:
Hah, then there will be two shows airing about men who fight crime using a bow and arrow. One wears green and the other purple.
To be fair. I hope you're not suggesting that Arrow is even close to the same level of quality that Daredevil and Jessica Jones has been. There is DCs series....and then there is the good super-hero shows.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
If it's anything like Matt Fraction's take on him, more or less so the one we saw in Avengers 2, then I'd be all in for that.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
tzimize said:
Maxtro said:
To be fair. I hope you're not suggesting that Arrow is even close to the same level of quality that Daredevil and Jessica Jones has been. There is DCs series....and then there is the good super-hero shows.
I like em all quite equally unless you count The Flash which is my fav of all the hero shows xD

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Zontar said:
ritchards said:

(I'm so cynical.)
To be fair with his role in different large movies unless he suddenly becomes an A-lister he's pretty much is the sweet spot of having consistent work on the big and small screen, but that work is probably not going to lead to much more popularity as it is.

OT: As much as I'd watch such a series, a Punisher, Cloak and Dagger, Moon knight, Runaways or Alpha Flight (I don't know where the line is on that one between Marvel and Fox) series would be ones I'd sooner ask for then a Hawkeye one.

Also, when the hell are we going to see S.W.O.R.D. in the MCU already?
Probably post Infinity Wars? Given alien invasion, ships captured, tech. reverse engineered etc..

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'd be down with both Hawkeye and Black Widow having Netflix shows. When you think about it, since they're basically the only Avengers who don't have superpowers (or access to ridiculously advanced technology), the show could be done much cheaper than a show based on other Avengers characters, and since their story arcs are usually about fighting terrorists, assassins, etc. I think it could go for a more R-rated feel than the Avengers movies.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Sampler said:
Probably post Infinity Wars? Given alien invasion, ships captured, tech. reverse engineered etc..
But S.W.O.R.D. already exists, they just haven't been mentioned since early Phase One. Plus, with neither Hydra nor new-S.H.I.E.L.D. having any space ships, they're likely the ones who took the few we know S.H.I.E.L.D. had before Uprising.