Jesse Eisenberg Isn't "Lex" Luthor After All

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Why not just get an older actor to play Lex Luthor? It feels like a cheap way to get a young actor in a role that decreases the tension between Lex and Superman.
Because the studios have to force in a bunch of young people so the kids can "relate".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Silentpony said:
Man, between this and Will Smith saying he never shot any scenes with the Joker(implying to me at least the Joker is only for Harely flashbacks) these DC movies are really sinking quickly. Seems like its all hot air and its slowly leaking.
I'm still surprised Will Smith is even in Suicide Squad to begin with, he just doesn't really exude a "world's deadliest assassin" kinda vibe.

On that note: do we get to call WB racist for casting a black guy as the villain who's really good at shooting people? :3

Fanghawk said:
I assume it lets them jump in quicker. Instead of having to introduce everything (especially characters we already know from Nolan's Batman movies)
Has it been confirmed/disconfirmed that the Nolan trilogy takes place in the same universe that they're building with these new movies?

Banjo-Kazooie Blue

Sep 24, 2014
Does Warner Brothers seriously think that they can still get fans on board with this obvious piece of shit?! They've done everything they can to show us they are NOT taking the lore seriously. Pointing out Wayne enterprises and Kord industries exist in this shitty movie does nothing to undo the horrible casting, the god awful trailers or that this movie takes place in the same universe as Man of Steel.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Banjo-Kazooie Blue said:
Does Warner Brothers seriously think that they can still get fans on board with this obvious piece of shit?! They've done everything they can to show us they are NOT taking the lore seriously. Pointing out Wayne enterprises and Kord industries exist in this shitty movie does nothing to undo the horrible casting, the god awful trailers or that this movie takes place in the same universe as Man of Steel.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Not taking the lore seriously? Says you. You haven't seen the movie, so you can't call it shitty. Horrible casting? You can't judge performances you haven't seen. God awful trailers? Explain what makes them awful. And of course this movie is the same universe as Man of Steel; what rock have you been hiding under?

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
This stinks to me of the studio trying to be too clever, too "down with the kids". They'll probably throw in some parallels between Lex Jr and the current owners of technology companies and think they're being great commentators on society.

I honestly don't know what would be wrong with casting Bruce Willis as Lex Luthor whose worked hard for everything in his life and built his empire himself. It's a major part of Lex's character and his beef with Supes that Lex worked his ass off to get everything he's got and feels threatened by the alien whose more physically (and possibly intellectually) superior than he can ever be by virtue of existence. That's an interesting dynamic between hero and villain. If it isn't broken don't fix it.

It'll be nice and interesting if they pull it off, but it's an unconvincing start so far.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I've figured it out. They are SO sure this movie will suck and tank with the public that they are including Alex Luthor so we can recognize the character when they reboot the whole mess with a "Crisis" movie to get rid of the stench of Man of Steel and BvS. Eisenberg will be Alex Luthor of earth 3 as well, and the "Crisis style reboot" will merge the continuities of established series like Arrow, Gotham, the Nolan batmans, the Burton batmans, that Joel Schumacher thing, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, and ADAM FREAKING WEST.

It's SO genius it couldn't possibly work.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
The only movie I want Warner Bros/DC to make is a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (the good one) bromance/road comedy.

I am just utterly not interested in their grimdark movies anymore. Blech.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
JustAnotherAardvark said:
"why he considers the role 'very serious'."

Dear DC: We get it. Grimdark is srsbidness. You can stop not only being so very grimdark, you can (for the love of god) stop *telling us* just how very grimdark you are. We got it. kthxbai. :p
As much as I'm not entirely on board with Eisenburg being cast as Luthor (although this news does actually negate /my/ views on his casting, though I would still have preferred original Lex and I'm going to go with it being a clone otherwise Alexanders motivation makes no sense), in his defence, I don't think hes saying it in a "Grimmdark" way, I think he's just saying that he's taking the role seriously and doesn't want to phone it in.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Jake Martinez said:
The only movie I want Warner Bros/DC to make is a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (the good one) bromance/road comedy.

Good news, they're actually considering making that. It's been pitched as a "superhero buddy cop movie", so there might be some hope for it.
http://screenrant.com/booster-gold-blue-beetle-movie-warner-bros/

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Silentpony said:
Man, between this and Will Smith saying he never shot any scenes with the Joker(implying to me at least the Joker is only for Harely flashbacks) these DC movies are really sinking quickly. Seems like its all hot air and its slowly leaking.
Really? This only sells the movie more to me. The less Joker, the better. So sick of him.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
McMarbles said:
Silentpony said:
Really? This only sells the movie more to me. The less Joker, the better. So sick of him.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not actually what Will Smith said. He said he never saw Jared Leto, only the Joker. Nothing to do with screentime the Joker gets, he's talking about Leto getting so into character that he's worked with him for six months and has no idea what Jared Leto is actually like.

There's no way they'd not use the Joker heavily.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
ShakerSilver said:
Y'now, one of the most important things about Lex's character and what helped define his philosophy was that he was a completely self-made man. He acquired this wealth, his connections, his knowledge, and his powers by his own hand - sometimes through illegitimate means like setting his parents for a life insurance plan then cutting the breaks in their car, but it was still through his own will. That's why he always felt so threatened by Superman: a man with that much power, who was just born that way, just show up in his backyard, and he supposedly uses his powers not for personal gain, but to benefit others - it goes completely against Lex's ideals. That's what made the dynamic between the two so interesting.
That's only one version of Luthor's backstory. It varies depending on the writer.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Some info for those about to start whining about Lex having the same first name as his father. Lex?s father in the comics has had a variety of names and backstories. Smallville invented the name Lionel for the show. The only consistent thing in there is a tumultuous relationship, half the time Lex grew up in poverty and is a Self-Made Man versus the heir to a billion dollar company.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
Jake Martinez said:

Good news, they're actually considering making that. It's been pitched as a "superhero buddy cop movie", so there might be some hope for it.
http://screenrant.com/booster-gold-blue-beetle-movie-warner-bros/
Hey now All of the Blue Beetle characters are the Good one. Just different types
Dan Garret Good ole pulp fiction with ancient tombs and such
Ted Kord. Modern globe trotting scifi techie with great Humor
Jamie Reyes Space Adventures and great family dynamic

And Both Ted and Jamie spent a large portion of their series paying homage to what came before. Hell one of Jamie's catch phrases was "What would Ted Kord do?"

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
IOwnTheSpire said:
JustAnotherAardvark said:
"why he considers the role 'very serious'."

Dear DC: We get it. Grimdark is srsbidness. You can stop not only being so very grimdark, you can (for the love of god) stop *telling us* just how very grimdark you are. We got it. kthxbai. :p
Don't use words if you don't know what they mean. DC movies are not grimdark. I don't recall anyone at DC calling these movies grimdark. Serious /= grimdark. Got it?
People aren't going to want to talk, debate, or argue with you if you act rude and passive aggressive towards them. Not liking opinions is one thing but being rude and passive aggressive is something else.