Jetpack Enables Anyone To Run A 4-Minute Mile

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
strumbore said:
+10lbs, -18s? Pointless.
Keep in mind that the overall energy required to finish the mile is lower as well. Even if you had to wear a 2-ton thing on your back, it wouldn't matter as long as it makes you exert less energy than required to hold it. Exhaustion is a huge issue and is a large contributor to casualties. I'd totally wear a 10-pound thing on my back if it would cause less overall exhaustion. Keep in mind that for those of us who actually exercise, 10 pounds focused on your back is absolutely nothing at all.

j4c0b1

Jun 9, 2014
Aeshi said:
Merlark said:
you would save more energy if you just put a pair of roller skates on them. :)
I was just thinking that as well. Combine these with a pair of Rollerskates and I bet you could go crazy fast, though admittedly you'd probably end up breaking both your legs doing that on rough terrain.
Already been done

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Aeshi said:
Merlark said:
you would save more energy if you just put a pair of roller skates on them. :)
I was just thinking that as well. Combine these with a pair of Rollerskates and I bet you could go crazy fast, though admittedly you'd probably end up breaking both your legs doing that on rough terrain.
Yeah, let's not make the same mistakes as Wile E. Coyote, okay?

OT: However, they manage to get this working right? This will be ultra cool.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So they're basically building these?

Huh. I guess the game's design team really did look at current and projected future tech for their world building.

Cool.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Jeez only 18 seconds..
But progress is progress I guess, kinda expected jets on your back to do a little more than shave off 18 seconds though.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
EndlessSporadic said:
Keep in mind that the overall energy required to finish the mile is lower as well. Even if you had to wear a 2-ton thing on your back, it wouldn't matter as long as it makes you exert less energy than required to hold it. Exhaustion is a huge issue and is a large contributor to casualties. I'd totally wear a 10-pound thing on my back if it would cause less overall exhaustion.
Carrying an extra 10 pounds all day for slightly less exertion for a few minutes does not remotely result in less overall exertion; quite the opposite.

EndlessSporadic said:
Keep in mind that for those of us who actually exercise, 10 pounds focused on your back is absolutely nothing at all.
10 pounds will measurably impair speed and endurance, no matter how much you exercise. F=MA is not magically suspended by being in shape. And they're already carrying, what, 50+ pounds of kit into battle? Weapons, ammunition, gear. And that kit is already very carefully determined to be at the top of what the military considers acceptable encumbrance.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
I think this is awesome. Sure it's heavy and cumbersome now, but it'll get smaller and lighter over time. I think this would be interesting for other stuff too, like doing parkor, pushing someone a little farther for a jump, or a boost to get up a few more inches on a jump. It could have applications for skydiving too, a little bit of force in the right way to slow a descent, something that could mean life or death. There's probably a dozen more things this could be used for that I can't even think of.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
This could actually be a really potent thing. It's hard enough as is to hit a moving opponent and lead correctly, but the whole dynamic changes if your opponent can jet burst from cover to cover, or even change speeds on the fly. The latter is especially tricky as you wouldn't notice until it already happened, meaning you aren't hitting anything today.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
The title of this is sort of click-batey don't you think? 18 seconds is a good improvement but a four minute mile it is not.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Pyrian said:
EndlessSporadic said:
Keep in mind that the overall energy required to finish the mile is lower as well. Even if you had to wear a 2-ton thing on your back, it wouldn't matter as long as it makes you exert less energy than required to hold it. Exhaustion is a huge issue and is a large contributor to casualties. I'd totally wear a 10-pound thing on my back if it would cause less overall exhaustion.
Carrying an extra 10 pounds all day for slightly less exertion for a few minutes does not remotely result in less overall exertion; quite the opposite.

EndlessSporadic said:
Keep in mind that for those of us who actually exercise, 10 pounds focused on your back is absolutely nothing at all.
10 pounds will measurably impair speed and endurance, no matter how much you exercise. F=MA is not magically suspended by being in shape. And they're already carrying, what, 50+ pounds of kit into battle? Weapons, ammunition, gear. And that kit is already very carefully determined to be at the top of what the military considers acceptable encumbrance.
Was going to quote your reply to me, but this seems just as well.

Specifically to the point here, and one you made in your reply to me, this would be adding ~11 lbs to a kit the soldier's already carrying. The standard infantry loadout at the moment varies from ~90-110lbs. So this awkward, heavy prototype unit is only adding just over 10% of weight to their kit. As I'd previously mentioned, before this thing would ever go live, it'll get smaller, lighter, and harder, as it is with all battlefield technology.

Your points are valid, but you have to start somewhere with the tech, and here it is. Improve on this, and they'll one day get where they want to go.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
tangoprime said:
...this would be adding ~11 lbs to a kit the soldier's already carrying. The standard infantry loadout at the moment varies from ~90-110lbs. So this awkward, heavy prototype unit is only adding just over 10% of weight to their kit.
Combat kit is ~65 lbs (source [https://www2.kuow.org/specials/militaryweight.pdf]), which is already well above the recommended 50 lbs. Marching kit goes well above 100 lbs., but not without consequences (source [http://www.armytimes.com/article/20110214/NEWS/102140308/Report-Combat-soldiers-carry-too-much-weight]). And we're only talking about a 5.6% speed increase.

tangoprime said:
As I'd previously mentioned, before this thing would ever go live, it'll get smaller, lighter, and harder, as it is with all battlefield technology.
I'm not at all convinced that this can be made sufficiently more powerful AND lighter AND harder (AND without other side effects) without major fundamental breakthroughs in energy technology.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
This is a completely inefficient and costly method of attempting to improve a very specific scenario. This runner is on flat terrain, of which there are countless other cheaper methods of improving their speed.

For this technology to be efficient at all we will need to have developments in producing the same power from a smaller piece of equipment. This is just an act of combining current technology into a specific package, not developing those component parts.

Maybe when we have a jet engine that can produce 2x the power and is half the size will this be even slightly cost-effective. Until then, spend more time on actual, functional improvements and not on what is essentially a leaf blower taped to some guy's back.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Abomination said:
This is a completely inefficient and costly method of attempting to improve a very specific scenario. This runner is on flat terrain, of which there are countless other cheaper methods of improving their speed.

For this technology to be efficient at all we will need to have developments in producing the same power from a smaller piece of equipment. This is just an act of combining current technology into a specific package, not developing those component parts.

Maybe when we have a jet engine that can produce 2x the power and is half the size will this be even slightly cost-effective. Until then, spend more time on actual, functional improvements and not on what is essentially a leaf blower taped to some guy's back.
Well it's only a prototype, but so far I'm not impressed either.

However, it is the first step towards this:

MAXIMUM SPEED

A combat exoskeleton that does all the weight carrying for you and that could potentially act as an armor makes more sense than this "jet pack", even though it's still not very practical because of the material it's being made off and because once you're out of juice you'd have to leave very expensive tech behind or destroy it in case it's a military thing. We desperately need a breakthrough in graphene technology because we need graphene to be cheap to manufacture like silicone. Both for the purpose of building harder and lighter stuff and more energy efficient electronic devices.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
This really bothers me. At the beginning of the video they explain that they were working on making artificial limbs for amputees but then they all of a sudden stopped doing that and started making this stuff for Darpa? That just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Going from doing something as excellent as helping people who have lost limbs to making another high tech toy to make soldiers more efficient at killing people just seems like a waste.

small

Aug 5, 2014
keideki said:
This really bothers me. At the beginning of the video they explain that they were working on making artificial limbs for amputees but then they all of a sudden stopped doing that and started making this stuff for Darpa? That just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Going from doing something as excellent as helping people who have lost limbs to making another high tech toy to make soldiers more efficient at killing people just seems like a waste.
well it wont make them more efficient at killing, it will end up being shelved like the billions of dollars of other project that have