Jim Sterling VS Digital Homocide is FINALLY over

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
CaitSeith said:
gigastar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Still not gonna make Valve actually implement a form of quality control in Steam Greenlight or the new Steam Something that is gonna replace Greenlight.
Id say having to pay up for every project you try to publish on Steam is quality control enough.
$100 wasn't enough to keep phony projects out from Steam Greenlight. And making $1,000 higher doesn't dissuade the insidious (they make much more than that). At most it would keep home projects and joke games away, but that's not what saturates the Steam catalogue right now.
As i understood it the Steam Greenlight fee allows an account to submit as many times as it wants. If im wrong on this then please enlighten.

And i really, really doubt the likes of DigHom ever made a thousand bucks even on its most successful projects.

Also whats saturating the catalouge are games that get thrown together from storebought assets, and get boosted through greenlight using groups like YOLO Army. Or bypass the system entirely on the backs of hack publishers like Strategy First.

Steam Direct wont solve the problem entirely, because it wont kill the hack publishers problem, but it will kill the likes of YOLO Army, and thats as good a start as any in my book.

But to quote Joseph Stalin after he went back in time to assassinate Hitler in the orginal Red Alert; "Time will tell."

Jan 27, 2011
It's about time!

Seriously, I can't believe the Romines dragged it out THIS freakin' long. And I can't WAIT to hear if Jim's got a whole spiel about the case to make now that he can completely talk openly about it.

...And all in all, rather than celebrate, I just have this sound effect in my head about the whole affair:

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Victory, finally. Hopefully Jim isn't shy about some play-act gloating or celebration on his next Jimquisition. He's made it fairly clear he was simply exasperated with the whole situation and just wanted it to end, but he might be able to drum up some ego from his Sterling persona.

The Digihom Romines were truly scummy chancers, and it took far too long for their like to be excised from Steam. It only had to take a complete shitshow where they subpoenaed Valve themselves for a petty shot at 100 anonymous and not unfairly critical Steam users for something to be done.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
This calls for a celebration.

A vindictive part of me wishes it had gone to court just so Romine would get his ass handed to him by the judge, but that would have meant dragging Jim through the ordeal even further. For his sanity's sake, this is probably the best possible outcome.

Thank God for Jim Fucking Sterling Son.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Neverhoodian said:

A vindictive part of me wishes it had gone to court just so Romine would get his ass handed to him by the judge, but that would have meant dragging Jim through the ordeal even further. For his sanity's sake, this is probably the best possible outcome.

I know guys like the romines. Their view of reality is so far off base that no matter what would happen they would still believe that they are right and the rest of the world is wrong. Choosing to disregard any and all things that disagree with them and only believing that which they can twist to line up with their beliefs. I could make a political joke here but I'd rather keep the thread on topic.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Yeah, Digital Homicide won't give up. They'll find other thing to demand Jim for, and we'll see DH lawsuit II: Electric Boogaloo; because they are firmly convinced to be in the right, and that justice hasn't been served.
With WHAT? His early retirement fund? In the course of this little debacle, the guy tanked his own company and his reputation is for shit. Where would he even get the money when he can't even get it kickstarted?

OT: Very good. In fact...

Pay that lawyer, 'cause he clearly did his job right.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
CaitSeith said:
Yeah, Digital Homicide won't give up. They'll find other thing to demand Jim for, and we'll see DH lawsuit II: Electric Boogaloo; because they are firmly convinced to be in the right, and that justice hasn't been served.
I think dismissed with prejudice means you can't try to sue somebody for the same thing again and I imagine it won't look good the next time you sue the same person for something else.

Bilious Green said:
Pity Jim still has to pay his own legal fees. Romine should have been made to carry the can for the whole absurd saga. Can't wait for the next Jimquisition, you know he's going to go ham on DH.
One problem might be that Romine likely barely has the money for that. There is a saying in my native language that says you can't take feathers from a bald chicken meaning that if somebody has (almost) nothing, trying to get a hold of what he has would be poinless.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Neverhoodian said:

I know Jim doesn't get a penny from it, but I just bought that song. Seemed like the right thing to do.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Pseudonym said:
CaitSeith said:
I think dismissed with prejudice means you can't try to sue somebody for the same thing again and I imagine it won't look good the next time you sue the same person for something else.
You would be correct. In the legal documents, it states that by dismissing the lawsuit the Romaine brothers are legally prevented from pursuing any additional legal action against Sterling. Additionally they open themselves up to legal repercussions if they engage in any form on harassment towards sterling as well. So if they thought to make a bad mouthing youtube video, or a game which is designed to insult, slander, etc him will result in criminal charges against them.

In other words, they fucking lost. Utterly and completely devastatingly lost. Which is how it always should have been because the lawsuit originated from people who clearly have some mental health issues to say the least.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
CritialGaming said:
Pseudonym said:
CaitSeith said:
You would be correct. In the legal documents, it states that by dismissing the lawsuit the Romaine brothers are legally prevented from pursuing any additional legal action against Sterling. Additionally they open themselves up to legal repercussions if they engage in any form on harassment towards sterling as well. So if they thought to make a bad mouthing youtube video, or a game which is designed to insult, slander, etc him will result in criminal charges against them.

In other words, they fucking lost. Utterly and completely devastatingly lost. Which is how it always should have been because the lawsuit originated from people who clearly have some mental health issues to say the least.
That part of the dismissal is probably unenforceable. The language is that they have to take into account fair use, which is so poorly defined that an "I did" will suffice. Though these clowns are finally banished from gaming so what they would do to warrant coverage that uses "their" IP is unknown.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Nice to see some good news, and that's coming from someone who can't stand Jim and his videos.

Sadly I think the parties who do this kind of thing are so stupid they'll learn nothing from it.

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
... his name is James Stanton?
More specifically, his birth name is James Stanton. He's goes by Jim Sterling these days owing to some bad blood with his family, if I recall correctly. (He's been trying to have legally changed, but apparently he having trouble with all the red tape involved

MHR

Apr 3, 2010

Jim is hyping up his conclusive episode of this on this Monday's Jimquisition.

I don't know that I've ever been so hyped for a D-list celebrity event.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
MHR said:

Jim is hyping up his conclusive episode of this on this Monday's Jimquisition.

I don't know that I've ever been so hyped for a D-list celebrity event.
It's the end of an era. And after this, all developers who act the same will fear the name.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Nazulu said:
Yeah, they refuse to have human moderators for some reason. One insider on Total Biscuits vid about Steam Direct mentioned that it's too tricky to manage, but I can't find a decent answer for this yet. Valve are hell bent on finding an automated system that works well enough, and while many are cautiously optimistic, I can't see it working either, unless they raise the price for entry to something ridiculous (I hope they don't :p).
Well, they need those people to direct towards......not making episode 3?