Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Because I Could Not Stop For Loading Times

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I "got" Yahtzee's poem at about the time he started referencing lands he'd been through. Wondered how big a clue/reveal he would include. Well done.

"It's a' me, Mario..." (bitter sobbing)

Arvind

Apr 11, 2009
Jim's was hilarious this time around - Yahtzee was a bit too depressing, but I guess the only way from the Chest High wall poem is down.

greyscarf

Sep 24, 2012
Whoever said that Jim's poems were like other people's comments from a thread--I think that was the point. Especially with every smug smile afterward. I also enjoyed the contrast between Jim's smiles & Yahtzee's oh-so-serious demeanor. You guys play off of each other well. Great job this week!

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Picked up on Yahtzee's fairly early on. (About when it was mentioned that 'he' never speaks to 'her'. There was a chance it might be Link, but Mario is far more famous and Link usually has a bit more plot than a 'journey to track down a lady'.) I still liked the punchline though.

Jim's, on the other hand, I did not expect the last minute turn around, even if his aside glances were implying a mild mocking of the fans saying this sort of thing.

So yes, both were solid entrees, and I'm looking forward to more! (And for when they inevitably drag Graham, MovieBob or Susan into the action...)

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Those headlines ^^
Wouldn't know these poems if I wasn't forced to read them due to studies >.<
I love Jim's poem.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Jim's Poem reminds me of watching my first american commercial, and how subtle they are at conversing their message.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Brilliant punch line from Jim, though it hits a little too close to home for the little part of me that hopes that each new Sonic will actually be good.
I believe that's the idea. Sounds like Jim's still a fan of Sonic, but only because he remembers when they were unquestioningly great. As for yahtzee's poem, at first I thought it was describing the "evolution" of video games since the 8-bit era, from bright colors to dull greyness, and I interpret it is, from Mario's point of view. It really got to me there at the end.

captcha: one hit wonder
Sounds like more than a few protagonists of modern games.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Matthi205 said:
Jim's poem was good, I just thought that the fast-reading-then-gazing-at-the-camera ruined the intended pacing somewhat.
I think that was a reflection of the crippling loading times in Sonic '06. I could just be looking for symbolism anywhere in a poetry reading though.

Yahtzee won completely. I don't think I've ever felt bad for Mario until now. It painted a beautiful but depressing picture and I love it.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Sonic fans to a T! I am one of them, but some of the complaints thrown at him over every little change is insane. And every new game gets our hopes us. *sigh*

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Wow! Simply brilliant you two. I hope this becomes a feature for years to come and you both make oodles of cash off it. Then maybe Yahtzee can give me some of said cash to help pay for the years of fucking therapy I'm going to need after his particularly soul crushing little ditty. Mamma Mia indeed.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
The delivery from both of you is spectacular as always.

Picked Mario early but the last line for Jim's blindsided me.

This is rapidly becoming my new favourite escapist video!

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
This is the second time I've watched a Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown. Previously I had only seen their first one--I thought Jim rhymed well while Yahtzee's was a little forced, wasn't particularly hooked and that was it. It never clicked that they were "competing" after a fashion (only grokked that from the comments here).

But having watched this episode and wondering what Yahtzee was on about until the punch line I finally grokked this show. If I had to throw a rose to one of them then I'll do so to Yahtzee because I didn't have a clue he was talking about Mario until the finale. Jim's was good but the deliberate smug grins between stanzas left me puzzled about his intent. I did grok that he was talking about Sonic from the start, though.

I'm going to watch this episode again so that I can appreciate Yahtzee's poem from the POV that he's talking about Mario. That's not usual for me, these days, watching an Escapist show twice.

I'm also going to watch all the other episodes as well, including the first one again.

You've got yourselves a new fan, guys. I hope this show lasts unlike other Escapist shows that tend to fold all too quickly.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Still think I prfer Yahtzees stuff on the whole, Jims poems are always fun and I enjoy them, but I feel Yahtzees have a bit more strength to them, like he could easily change them to work well out of the gaming context. Well, aside from the one from last week obviously.

The Mario poem was pretty ace, I didn't clock on until right at the end, but then everything fell into place, well played Mr Croshaw.

Copper Zen said:
-snip-

But having watched this episode and wondering what Yahtzee was on about until the punch line I finally grokked this show. If I had to throw a rose to one of them then I'll do so to Yahtzee because I didn't have a clue he was talking about Mario until the finale. Jim's was good but the deliberate smug grins between stanzas left me puzzled about his intent. I did grok that he was talking about Sonic from the start, though.
I think Jim might be taking the piss to be fair, I think a lot of people complain about him looking down at his paper rather than at the audience, and a lot of people moan about his smug persona, so he was likely just hamming it up.

Also, grokk(ed)? I take it you mean clock(ed)? :p

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
'Yahtzee, you took up smoking! You've officially become a true poe... oh wait it's candy.'

And then I felt dumb

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
For some reason I find both these men strangely attractive. Yahtzee's voice is just... Yeah, sometimes it's creepy, sometimes totally hot. And a man who can make me laugh is better than anything, I so love Jim.

Again, very well done. I'm really enjoying these.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Ahh Sonic fans... or should I say Sanic Fons?

Sonic Team seems to stop taking their antipsychotic pills every time they make a new game, so its always fun to see what crap comes down the pipe.

murdeoc

Jun 11, 2011
i just think yahtzee's a brilliant poet! and jim, do you know another voice intonation besides angry or smug?