Jimquisition: Children of the Resolution

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
bringer of illumination said:
PuckFuppet said:
orangeapples said:
Many games turn into the 360 version with better framerates and resolutions when you plug in a controller.
Source?
Do you need someone to draw you a diagram or something?
Read what I quoted again, then read what you read, then think about it before you respond.

I can see what he meant to say but the way it was phrased implied that there was somehow a hidden super secret 360 controller only way of improving the graphics.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
The really, really funny part: if more amazing games come out for the Xbone, someone somewhere will say it's because 720p is the superior resolution (in a "look, proof my insane theories were right!" kind of way). In the end, really, quibbling over what the damn games look like shouldn't matter, it should be, "yes, but what GAMES are coming out for this thing?"

I work in video--the difference between formats exists. 1080p takes more space (them gigabytes), requires data be sent a different way from 1080i (not really applicable on consoles, but definitely a thing for TV streams), etc. It's similar to 720p in terms of data sent (needlessly complicated because old people run everything), but 720p has less of itself by its very nature than 1080p (dem files be of different sizes when using the same compression format for both). So, yes, for good TV's, the difference will be noticeable. But really, it should be: Is this game formatted better for this machine? Is this game exclusive to this machine? Will I notice/care when using other (non-game) apps? (Spoiler alert: Most video equipment I can think of does 720p50/60, 1080i25/30, and PAL/NTSC primarily. Stations might support 1080p streams, but it's not the standard yet.)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Loki_The_Good said:
It definitely is the best part. Your probably right to be concerned too. I think the only way the console market won't be a technical (and innovative) drag on computer gaming is if both the PS4 and XBone are financial flops and the console market becomes significantly less influential. That's why I'm liking the indie scene more and more. A lot of the more interesting game play advances seem to come from there because they have more wiggle room to try something new.
I'm already convinced this will be the last console generation. Already, the Xbone and the PS4 are just dedicated gaming PCs with off-the-shelf components and a walled garden OS and ecosystem. Despite all this hoopla over physical media, both are building digital distribution platforms. Once they've reached the end of their service life, I don't think we'll see new consoles.

We might see a general multimedia box of some kind, assuming they haven't built all that functionality into Smart TVs by that point (probably 6 or 7 years in the future?). But a dedicated gaming console? Why bother? By then we'll have a new generation of kids who grew up playing games on their mobile devices, and won't have any special attachment to console gaming. Unless console gaming is going to bring some unique social or cultural element to gaming not done just as well or better by PCs or tablets (e.g., making local co-op prominent again, or some new party game phenomenon a la Guitar Hero/Rock Band), I don't see a place for a 9th console generation.

Luminos564

May 15, 2013
Really? Resolution Wars on consoles? This is a thing? I guess people need to be at constant war when it comes to consoles. Sheesh, given how people will defend their console of choice, I'm surprised XB1's original policies even bothered with their Draconian Pledge of Allegiance.

But personally, resolution matters very little to me. I play shit like Disgaea and other 2D sprite games so a resolution in 720p vs. 1080p means nothing. That said, I personally don't do my gaming on PC either since pretty much any game I play has not had a PC port. Funny how that works out I guess.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Sorry I lost all track of what the video was about. My head almost imploded when I was blessed to hear I can now get all my Jim fix at one website instead of two. That is a significant time saver!

*edit*
Oh lord do I agree. I stopped buying games for consoles about 4 months ago when this shit hit the fan. Yes that even means I am waiting for GTA V, and I will happily wait too! Why invest in subpar systems when PC is KILLING consoles on content and updates? SteamOs for the win!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The Xbone CAN render at 1080p, the question is just how fast or slow.

The PS4 has faster memory and a bigger GPU than the Xbone, so the developers will have to choose what bits to sacrifice for the Xbone port of a non-exclusive game: framerate, resolution, complexity of the pixelshaders, complexity of the geometry, texture quality or a combination of these.

In some (many?) cases the devs may consider going 720p the least bad alternative. It lookes like the BF devs didn't go for lower framerates in this case, so that's something atleast.

Anyway, it should make the choice for all you console gamers even easier. If you must have a new console and if you don't care about knect, just go for the cheaper brick of the two and it will look prettier as a bonus.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Screw the resolution, as long as I have good FPS and good content.

The best reply I have to this debate is what I've said before. There's a YouTube series: The beauty of GTA V, or something like that. It shows you a bunch of locales and pieces of the game that are actually very pretty to look at. They did a really good job on that game.

But you know what? When I'm blowing by at 200 MPH in my custom car escaping a 5 star threat rating, dodging between police and SWAT barricades, the game is all a blur. You don't see one iota of that detail and you never will. That goes for ANY FPS game. It's a waste. The only type of game this would matter on is some cinematic play-by-rail type interactive movie. And that's Great. I'd love to see that.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
As much as I agree with all sentiments, I do feel like it's silly to indict the XBox for being unable to render 1080p because of.. Call of Duty of all things. The people assigned to the task of making an even two year turnaround of on their annual Michael Bay Military Shooter shouldn't be held as a benchmark for next gen consoles on launch day. I can see no reason for the Xbox One to be unable to handle Call of Duty with its specs other than the developers not having the time to make it work on the ever so slightly weaker hardware.

That said, we're still definitely going to have the same problem with big publishers pushing graphics over smooth frame-rate for the duration of this next generation. I don't see that changing with new hardware.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
First, great video Jim. Second, darn people can be condescending. Would everyone really be this uptight and defensive in real life over a joke?

Zachary Amaranth said:
Come now. There is absolutely no benefit to a controller. EVER.
No need to capitalize a full word to prove your point, especially when it is just opinion. I love using controllers because in my opinion, they are more comfortable and because I can easily take it to a couch to play games. Platformers, action games, retro games, pretty much everything besides strategy games are easier for me with a controller compared to a mouse/keyboard. I haven't played to many first person shooters on pc yet, since I'm kind of tired of the genre, but for console gamers a controller is pleasant in games that do aim assist well. For pc, Spelunky is way more difficult with a keyboard compared to a controller. All I see is people just going "HAHAHAHA, FPS with a controller HAHAHAHA", lets calm down a bit.

bringer of illumination said:
I see console users spout that kind of disinformation constantly and completely without irony, without some actual sign that he's being facetious there is no reason to assume that he is.
Again, it seems like you are being condescending and just grouping all console gamers together. Its the problem of each group blames the other group for needing to be aggressive. One side is yelling whatever opinions, which forces the other side to start yelling whatever opinions, which riles up the other people, and on and on, until each group just blames the other for their ultra defensiveness.

Hmm, I see the suspension banhammer has come down on some people in this thread.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Ponyholder said:
Wait, people hate Adam Sessler? I thought he was all around liked by most.
He is loved ... until he says a thing about videogames, then he's hated for a week or two.

Kinda like most games critics, really.
I do not even know the guy personally but he seems like that guy that everyone wants to be like because he speaks his mind..... but are afraid to say the things he does. I say if people hate you for your opinion.... Fuck em, besides crying there is nothing they can do about what you think.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Hmmmmmmm resolutions? Yeah, let's start talking about when they're on the same level as the PC....

On a different note. It's funny how people always claim that consoles are much cheaper than PCs. If I take a look at my game library and compare the number of games I have with the money I'd have to pay for it in consoles I don't even want to care about consoles anymore. Console games are at least 10-20% more expensive than PC games (bargain and steam sales not counted). The more games you buy the better the PC gets in terms of value. You get more features and cheaper games and an open system.

Why again should I buy a console?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I still can't believe I can play Silent Hill 2 on PC at higher resolution than the HD version, and yet somehow Konami screwed up the simple act of making a bare-minimum, 720 HD version of the game....

... on topic, yes, games and gameplay matter more than graphics, but when two great games with great gameplay come out on two systems, it's just common sense to get the one that looks best and plays just as well as the other version does.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Well I rather take 720 with ultra quality than 1080p with low quality... but that aside it's hilarious that the "standard resolution" that most of the industry have pushed can not be played at due to weak hardware...

I would like to see in 5y or so when 4K have (probably) become a more normal resolution how the consoles games look compared to a reasonable PC... however I know all consoles get better optimization due to the limited hardware differences and PCs cost about twice or thrice a console but I think I'll keep a gaming rig around for this generation for my eye candy...

And yea super bling graphics can not help your game if it's really shit in all other departments....

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
nodlimax said:
Why again should I buy a console?
Ease of use, size, cheaper initial outlay (for the upcoming generation which will cause PC minimum requirements to rise) and exclusive titles?

Let's not pretend they have no merits whatsoever. This thread is rapidly declining into frothing format wars.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
hazydawn said:
I really enjoyed the humor in this one, though I still don't get the concept of what seems to be random pictures of kids and adults in costumes.
That's just standard practice these days when it comes to online videos. It's partly laziness and cheapness - "look, here's some bad stock photography to look at." The other part of it is that for some reason everything has to be a video. Most of the videos (this one is a good example) have no reason to be videos - their point could easily be conveyed by audio or text. But for some reason the market expects everything to be a video, so they make videos where none is necessary.

One need only look to Youtube, where people upload music and put it into a video with a still image. Because of course, we all want to use Flash player to listen to music, and that graphic is oh-so-important to the song. You couldn't have just put an MP3 file up, right?

And even when it comes to video, we have unprecedented video hardware and software available, but people keep pushing the boundaries of low quality, where everything looks like it was recorded on a webcam with its lens smeared in Vaseline, or on a phone by someone with a severe case of Delirium Tremens and a lack of basic hand-eye coordination.

These are the key reasons why humanity is doomed.

Jan 27, 2011
What the hell was that mecha game with the jetpacks in the video?! :eek: That looks like so much fun! It's like mirror's edge with jetpacks, giant mechas and orbital drops! :D

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ponyholder said:
Wait, people hate Adam Sessler? I thought he was all around liked by most.
There are quite a few people who were frothing at the mouth to get the chance to spew crap at Sessler for the smallest things. The moment he complained about his companies delay on getting the systems so he can do his job people jumped at the chance to basically call him a whining ass.