Jimquisition: Damn Fine Coffee

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Damn Fine Coffee

How do you like your coffee? Blacker than midnight on a moonless night? Or is that just what you want people to think?

Watch Video

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Damn Fine Coffee

How do you like your coffee? Blacker than midnight on a moonless night? Or is that just what you want people to think?

Watch Video
Didn't you talk about a similar point in your "creepy cull of female protagonists" video in which you reference Malcolm Gladwell and stated what people believe they want and what they buy actually contradicts each other?

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Dark roasted coffee is just burnt, anyway. Never buy Starbuck's charcoal. Idiots say they like a dark roast when they want to sound like they know what they're talking about when they really have no idea.

Real coffee has a roast level that is unique to the bean. Some need to be darker, others need to have a lighter roast. A place that only dark roasts their coffee do so to cover up or burn off the imperfections in the beans.

Also, that "priest with his pants down" comment is epic.

That Overstrike video looked cool, too. Maybe the developer will make it after all a la Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and watch how the cheesy spinoff game outsells the real one. They still won't learn anything, but maybe publishers will retard themselves to death.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Damn Fine Coffee

Watch Video
Didn't you talk about a similar point in your "creepy cull of female protagonists" video in which you reference Malcolm Gladwell and stated what people believe they want and what they buy actually contradicts each other?
Yes. This video is a sequel of sorts to that one and the pasta episode.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Damn Fine Coffee

Watch Video
Yep, I was right. Geez, developers, get a bloody backbone and make the games that YOU want not what the rest want. You will get more love from gamers and more appreciation from the community as a whole.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Izanagi009 said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Damn Fine Coffee

Watch Video
Yes. This video is a sequel of sorts to that one and the pasta episode.
I said it already but it's worth saying again. DEVELOPERS, GROW A BLOODY SPINE. i will start to sound like an otaku but look at some of Vanillaware's or Platinum's work. They are full of vibrance and energy and even if they aren't the best, we still love them because they are unique with mechanics that are fun and characters that are over-the-top insane to see.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I think, in a certain sense, the online community circlejerk also has it's own social desirability demands.

What do *you* want from games? "Innovation" seems to be a popular demand, that makes us all sound refined and knowledgeable, but it's one of those cases where the word ounds good on paper, but in practice, most of us would rather play a comfortably familiar genre with nicely fine-tuned mechanics, and slightly curious setting, than something with no familiarity at all.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
by the end all I could think of was

and yeah, I'd noticed this very thing that you were talking about. Back when the Wii came out I was part of a few focus groups, and discovered that most of the people in them were a bunch of idiots who clearly had no idea what they wanted. I felt like the only person there who actually had an opinion on the system, and everyone else was just kind of following the interviewers lead.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
To be fair in regards to "Remember Me," the publishers probably just saw it as a mediocre game and didn't want to bother.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
With milk and lots of sugar.

People don't know what they want. Most of the times they want a dream, but not the actual product. They think they want something but sometimes you just need to smack them on the head and tell them no. That's not what you want. You want this. Now if you want it hand over the money or fuck off!

If you build it they will come. If you ask them what they want you to build they will ignore it when it's done!

Bioshock Infinite is the game it is because of these focus groups. Fuse is the game it is because of these focus groups. Stop using these goddamned focus groups or get an actual focus group, which involves members of all your target audience.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Arslan Aladeen said:
To be fair in regards to "Remember Me," the publishers probably just saw it as a mediocre game and didn't want to bother.
Then why did they explicitly state that the problem is that there is a female protagonist?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/20/publishers-rejected-remember-me-because-of-female-lead/

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I think a lot of the pretentiousness we see in games (especially "story driven" games) is also thanks to this social desirability bias. I think many people want to sound like the kind of person who wants to play a slow moving "story driven" game like Heavy Rain because then people might think they're not the kind of gamer that goes onto CoD shouting slurs.

It's probably the same reason everyone thinks all guys want a skinny girl with long hair and big boobs. I know for a fact that there are a lot of guys who try really hard to get that kind of girl just because they want to seem like an alpha male. I find that's it's the most obnoxiously vocal ones that are the ones trying to convince everyone.

I dig the merchandising Jim's decked in this week: nice mug & tshirt.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This reminds me of something I heard about movie production, probably from movie bob but I can't remember. It was about why we have so many sequels and remakes of movies. Really it came down to being able to protect one's ass. If someone tried to make a wholy original movie and it failed then they only had themselves to blame and be blamed but if they had a bunch of numbers from similar projects then it allowed them to point at those numbers and say "You saw the same stats I did, there is every reason this should have been just as popular."

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Lighter the roast - less bitter/stronger flavor, more caffeine
darker - stronger more bitter flavor, less caffeine
medium - just right.

Games are like coffee - it never hurts to try different roasts and mixes. Both can be very addictive. I should probably stop drinking coffee, but that'll happen the day I stop gaming, so, yeah, but no.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Priest with his pants down? Hoo boy that gave me a good laugh.

OT: Do publishers really... really ... fill their focus groups with a demographic that they believe will have a reaction that they want? Like, guess we're gonna make this game more like CoD better make sure the focus group is 18-23 yr old Caucasian males hur dur.

Well, I suppose when the echo chamber is THAT far ingrained in the development cycle it explains a lot about the state of AAA games.

Dewrah

Feb 26, 2011
I couldn't help but think of Team Fortress 2 while watching the over strike video (similar art style), which immediately made me excited, then crushed by the Fuse video. Dammit Jim!!

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
Damn Fine Coffee

Actually I do prefer my coffee black, but how can I make you believe me :p

I would still love to play Overstrike. Seemed like such a fun game. Also about Overlord 2. I LOVE that series but I have never even seen the MP lobby.