Jimquisition: Desensitized to Violence

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Desensitized to Violence

Description: Warning -- Contains graphic content. If you don't want to see disturbing Internet things, skip the footage starting at 1:20 and ending at 1:49.
As the mainstream news media continues to revel in the Sandy Hook shootings, its pundits point at the finger at videogames for reveling in digital violence. If you believe these hypocrites, your gaming hobby makes you cold and indifferent to scenes of death and destruction. If you believe the Jimquisition - and you should, for its word is law - you'll know that's bollocks.

Watch Video

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Do you reckon you could edit it what the graphic content is in the description so people know what it is?

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of what happened in the content was? As in why the person did it?

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
When I saw the age gate I was getting ready for something over the top funny.

I got this. :/

OT: This has to be one of the best Jimquisitions because it shows us something real with death rather than some abstract test to test "aggression" so for that I commend you Jim, I am very happy you did what you did to show the footage as I wasn't actually aware such a thing had happened.

P.S

The ending shall haunt my nightmares :/

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Jim just has a way of saying what I want to but don't know how to. Next time I have to defend games, I will talk about this video and the feedback the "gamers" gave when shown it.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I've played Resident Evil 4, the Dead Space games, and plenty of other, uh, "ultra-violent" video games. That clip still disturbs me no matter how many times I see it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I find the movie sad but it didn't shock or really disturb me...I'm wondering if I should be worried about that.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Hazzard said:
Do you reckon you could edit it what the graphic content is in the description so people know what it is?

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of what happened in the content was? As in why the person did it?
I explain in the video intro what the content is, which I think does the job. As for background on Dwyer himself, you can get all the info from the usual place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
That was disturbing, I also noticed how the camera man zoomed in on the guys head after he blew his brains out. Excellent at his job was that camera man. But yeah, I've seen stuff like that in classes so it didn't really disturb me TOO much but yeah.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Hazzard said:

It's a clip from a televised press conference where a senator named Budd Dwyer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer] committed suicide during the conference while cameras were rolling.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
I'm going to admit, that was a lot more shocking than I thought it would be. I still got that sort of pitted feeling in my stomach. But then, the most violent thing I have really done was squashing an unexpected spider.

Good message, well put across, and with fair warning.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I remember the old Jimquisition when you showed that footage. It deeply disturbed me, even made me fill sick. I wasn't ready for that (and I did skip it this time). And I was shocked, disturbed, and angered when the Sandy Hook tragedy happened.

So I'm pretty sure I'm not desensitized at all. Agreed on the criticism on the news coverage of violence. Was it like that before 24/7 news networks were a thing?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Vault Citizen said:
I find the movie sad but it didn't shock or really disturb me...I'm wondering if I should be worried about that.
It at least affected you on a negative level. I'm willing to bet those that don't find it disturbing have already been desensitized by some *other* form of vile real-life content. The Internet's pretty full of that stuff!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Thank you Jim. You are right.

How do I know? Becuase when you said I was going to see a man shoot himself I tried to imagine what that would be like. To see it happen before I saw it actually happen, so I could be ready for it.

What I imagined was very different.

I haven't seen someone kill themselves before in real life. It really isn't what I expected. All I know is, I don't like it...

Again, thank you Jim.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Moth_Monk said:
:( Jim, I was hoping you'd do the gag with the brown paper bag at the end again.
That was a condition of me being allowed to show the footage, although in fairness, I wasn't interested in doing that bit again. I felt it more helpful to just stay on point this time.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Excellent argument Jim. Well thought out and argued with intelligence.

That was the first time I saw that video. I found no enjoyment in watching him end his life. In fact, it gave me the chills watching the blood poor from his nose. It cannot be unseen...

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Loved this episode. Oddly enough I skipped the shooting scene as my time on reddit i've seen too many f'ed up stuff to willingly watch more.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
A few years ago I did some work experience at a zoo, specifically in the big cat section. A large part of the day there was preparing the tiger's meals. This involved splitting open a carcass of a cow, or sheep or the like, and disposing of the grizzly bits, cutting them into the appropriate portion sizes for a big cat. At the time, I found myself slightly unnerved by how fine I was confronted with the sight of all the blood and intestines and so on.

I couldn't bring myself to watch the scene in the video. I'll admit it, I skipped over it. And you know what? I think I'm glad that I couldn't find it within myself to watch a man die.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Now I've almost never commented on a video on the escapist before. Hell I forgot I even had an account here until I tried to make one and found the name was taken. But I wanted to speak up here.

I watched the video and, seeing the warning of content, decided to watch it. I've never seen the video before, never heard of the event, or anything, and after watching it I had only one reaction...

"...that's it?"

Now before you start calling me heartless or evil or anything like that... I'm not. Or at least I try not to be. I care about others and so forth, but when I saw that video... it felt to me like the violence shown was no worse than what you'd see in some movies. A man holds a gun to his mouth, suddenly he drops with a pop and the camera loses track of him, and when you next see him he's on the ground, staring blankly, a few moments passing before blood starts dripping down his face.

That sounds exactly like a dramatic moment you'd see in a movie, and that's what I thought.

It has admittedly left me wondering what kind of person I am though, and if I've really become more jaded to some things than I thought I was. Why didn't I react? Why did I see it and just think "What, that's all?"? Is it because he fell and the actual moment of death wasn't seen? Was it because it appeared to be relatively clean and there weren't guts all over the place? Was it because I saw it as a videoclip instead of actually in person? Was it because of games AND movies desensitizing me or making me jaded with over-the-top things?

I have no idea. And I'm not saying Videogames cause violence either, just like Rock and Roll didn't cause satanism way back when. But when the media as a whole may have left me jaded and/or desensitized to that videoclip... it does leave me wondering...

...what does it say about me?