Jimquisition: Downloadable Discontent

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Five bucks for one skin? Jim, you are right. Dx That IS a load of bullcrap!

If it was for something(or more understandably somethings) that actually did something for you in the game, sure maybe. But for something that is really just a change of clothes? NO.
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
What's worse is when a company releases a ton of DLC all at once with premium pricing and doesn't bother making a discounted DLC bundle. Now if you want it all, not only do you have to pay $2.50 - $5.00 for every costume/weapon skin/map/character, but you have to do so one at a time.
x( Well that's just adding insult to the injury of your wallet. If they want to rip people off, they could at least not waste their time while doing it.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I think Alan Wake was the biggest piss take when it comes to DLC. You have to buy the DLC !!TO FINISH THE STORY!!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
TelHybrid said:
I think Alan Wake was the biggest piss take when it comes to DLC. You have to buy the DLC !!TO FINISH THE STORY!!
Big deal, the story is pretty bad anyway. And the combat is so broken that you're starting to wonder if it was intentional. Wait... why did I even play this game to the end? =(

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
TelHybrid said:
Alan Wake isn't the biggest piss take when it comes to DLC because of that. Sadly, tons of games do that. And they are indeed all the biggest piss takers, but don't think for a second that Alan Wake is alone in it.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Hey anyone remember that one game that tried to sell an in-game monocle accessory for $70? I offer now as the time to bring up such a game.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Bioware are the best and the worst at the same time in my opinion, which is pretty damn weird. You've got DA:O, where NPC's literally link you to the DLC store, and if you just want to play the vanilla game, you have NO ITEMS STASH (someone should have gone to jail for that shit, seriously). Then they made things like Shadow Broker, Overlord, and Leviathan, which may have been short, but were undoubtedly awesome. I don't know what to think anymore.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
That was some straight up, non-intrusive promotion at the end. I wouldn't mind DLC if it was presented in that way.

DLC is optional, and if you don't like it don't buy it...

Well I wish the marketing was optional, and the nagging, and the effect on gameplay, and the loss of immersion. I hate it when I get a ton of DLC that I don't even want and never asked for. Trying to figure out where the real game is, what items are part of the real game, and whether this here doodad was intended for the game or is a cleverly disguised cheat mode.

And if it turns out the game was less than I hoped for, I can't shake the suspicion that maybe it was designed like that, to make me buy some DLC.

Necris Omega

Jul 27, 2011
$5 for a skin? ... That's what, less than .5% of the total game assets? With a purchase price of $60, those skins should go for a few cents given how much they're actually supplying you in relation to what you've already paid for, never mind a full fledged dollar, never mind fucking five of them.

See, this is why we need more Skyrims - games that are configured so enthusiasts can provide this crap for the price of warm fuzzies and adulation rather than greedy, scum sucking artless companies for a price so damn inflated it makes Weimar Republic's 1923 100 Trillion Mark Bank Note look fiscally sound.

It also forces the developer to actually do some goddamn work when it comes to adding new, pay for it content that actually justifies the expense. This not only validates the concept of DLC, but the reputation of the developer as a whole. Whether or not you like Dragonborn, Dawngaurd, or Hearthfire, at least you have to admit that Skyrim's DLC is head and shoulders above Dead Space's.

ellieallegro

Mar 8, 2013
Good idea: Skyrim:Dragonborn, CIV V Brave New World. Purchased both.
Bad idea: Virtually every other dlc by major companies out there.

Here is a recent example: I was all set to buy the new Rome (I am a huge fan of the original as well as Shogun) but now they have a "pre-order bonus" on-disc dlc for the Greek faction which by all rights should be part of the game. They basically ripped out that content to boost their pre-order sales. Nooooooooooooooope! Not buying it at full price. Sorry. I will wait for a steam sale and pick it up cheap since I already have tons of games in my backlog.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
One of the few games where I absolutely love it's DLC is Magicka. That game doesn't shove down your throat that a new DLC is out and if one of your buddies has it, you can play it with him without buying it! (as long as you play with him), it's one of the very few games (along with Skyrim and Civ V) I've seen that has DLC done right.

Also The Secret World, that game ditched out subscriptions and instead, if you want new content, you need to plunk down $10 every 2 months for it and they call it "DLC". IMO, I'm more willing to pay that for an MMO than the typical $15 a month and the DLC is not even obligatory to keep playing.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
See, Jim? Steam sales are killing the market!

....But seriously, it is a good point that they want as much for a skin as we can get a game for. I mean, not even counting sale prices, I've got quite a few solid games from Steam's "Under Five Dollars" category. No, they're not the big AAA titles and whatnot, but you know what? I don't care. They're fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! And isn't that what gaming is supposed to be about?

I'm interested in seeing what you have to say about Season Passes, though.

Machine Man 1992 said:
Well it's about time, after you delayed this episode to bash your audience who didn't do anything to that Hepler woman, and the ones who did will have likely never even seen your episode.
Yes, how horrible you were forced to watch an episode that made you feel bad.

Lvl 64 Klutz said:
What's worse is when a company releases a ton of DLC all at once with premium pricing and doesn't bother making a discounted DLC bundle. Now if you want it all, not only do you have to pay $2.50 - $5.00 for every costume/weapon skin/map/character, but you have to do so one at a time.
It is kind of like punishing your fans for buying your product, isn't it?
Actually, I only watched the first sixty seconds of it, because I knew what it was going to be in it's entirety: as soon as Jim said the words"people threatened the lives of jennifer hepler's children," I knew the video was going to be rambling, knee jerk, half cocked, condemnation of gamers from a position of perceived moral supirority that all journalists are required to have by law. And pardon my french, but I'm goddamn fucking sick of it.

LosButcher

May 19, 2009
Your argument that it used to be better is pretty weak. Although there is a lot of companies that try to squeeze all the money out of your pocket, there is a lot more games coming out these days.

Some of them are actually giving away their content for free, like Klei Entertainment (Don't starve) and Unknown Worlds (Natural Selection 2). These are the companies I want to support so that is where I put my money. Hell, I even buy extra copies of their games, just to support them (if anyone wants a copy of NS2, add me on steam).

EA and other big publishers are very greedy, I think we all know that by now.

Thank god for Jim :)

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I know this is off topic, but Jim have you lost some weight? You look a bit slimmer.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
Actually, I only watched the first sixty seconds of it, because I knew what it was going to be in it's entirety
Even better, you didn't bother watching it but cast judgment on the contents.

I like the fact that you're condemning echo chamber mentality from within an echo chamber. I'd call it irony, but that's become bog standard since Fox News went big in the 90s.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LosButcher said:
Your argument that it used to be better is pretty weak. Although there is a lot of companies that try to squeeze all the money out of your pocket, there is a lot more games coming out these days.

Some of them are actually giving away their content for free, like Klei Entertainment (Don't starve) and Unknown Worlds (Natural Selection 2). These are the companies I want to support so that is where I put my money. Hell, I even buy extra copies of their games, just to support them (if anyone wants a copy of NS2, add me on steam).

EA and other big publishers are very greedy, I think we all know that by now.

Thank god for Jim :)
Even if there are more companies, this is the standard practice now. Pointing out exceptions and outliers doesn't change the fact that previously, they couldn't even get away with this. If some of the practices from the end of this console cycle had been attempted even at the beginning of this same cycle, there would have been pandemonium on the interwebs.

I mean, more power to you if you only support indies and the handful of other companies along those lines, but that doesn't make it a "weak" argument.

BigTuk said:
Pretty spot on Jim. Now remember DLC is 't a new thing. Remember SHareware, you'd get the first episode for free and you pay a little for each episode after.. used in such games Like doom, duke 3d, shadow warrior, quake, blood, etc etc.

Of course then it was reasonable.. now it's pretty abusive. Excuse me you want me to pay how much for a bloody hat?. Yeah Valve is one of the biggest offenders with this. hell I saw hats going for more than I paid for the whole damned orange box.

YOu know how you can make them stop this... by not bloody buying it.
Valve are some of the biggest pioneers of anti-consumer policies in gaming. Of course, they have cheap games and Gabe is a dreamboat or something, so they get away with it. But still, hats are the least of our concerns when they made DRM practically a standard in the industry.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
I continue to advocate the notion that on disc DLC can be used for good, if the publishers would just let it. For example, if Call of Duty came out with an RRP of £20, but the online stuff was pay-gated. This way, people who just want to play through the game, maybe play a bit of offline co-op or deathmatch, can do so, and will probably be more inclined to purchase it (I know I would). Then for an additional £10, Activision unlocks access to the servers, and lets you play online. Ultimately, the "full game" costs the same as it did before (here I am, living in a fantasy universe where CoD costs £30 on release), but the consumer has more options, and support the parts of the game they want.

There's an extreme here, where games are free, and it's entirely unlocking what you want from it, but I'm not convinced this wouldn't just be reduced to the worst kind of abuse, where every level, every weapon, every cutscene, every texture pack, is DLC. Where all games are low quality textures as standard, and you buy points to unlock up to ultra. I'm cynical enough about this industry to believe they would.

But yeah, I think on disc DLC definitely has a place.

On the topic of pay to access cheats, I remember thinking, a few years ago, this new direction games were taking with cheats, when they were unambiguous and just simply opaque unlockables, was a bit shit. One of my favourite game series of all time, Ratchet and Clank, being an offender, where big head mode was unlocked by completing in game challenges that weren't remotely "secret". What I'd give for this way of doing things back.

I'll pay for skins, when, and only when, every penny of it goes toward charity. I'll throw $10 on a weapon pack, when every cent of that is in the pocket of a children's hospital or a homeless shelter. That's the only way I can see it being remotely justifiable. Else it's just a flagrant lack of respect from the industry, for their consumers.