Jimquisition: EA & Ubisoft: A Cycle of Perpetration and Apology

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
EA & Ubisoft: A Cycle of Perpetration and Apology

The industry loves saying sorry without actually ever being sorry.

Watch Video

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Nice dog, and yeah Ubisoft recently apologized for using DRM but Far Cry 3 is still not on GOG :/

I'm getting rather tired of these companies and I know the word boycott is thrown around a lot but I seriously mean in it. in reference to your old episode on boycotts; Call of Duty 4 was the first and last COD I ever bought because I didn't like it. I have completely stopped giving EA and Actervision my money, with the only message being please leave the industry.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
So, how many people is that now we have to thank god for?
Jim, obviously, as well as Scarecrow, the Dragonborn and now the dog.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I don't think companies like EA or Ubisoft will learn their lessons unless it truly bites them in the ass.

owbu

Feb 14, 2011
the diablo 3 comment seems slightly weird in the context of the rest of the episode (Just saying sorry to boost sales, but not changing anything)
Blizzard removed the auction house and completely remodeled the lootsystem towards what customers wanted, instead of saying sorry and then bringing out RoS with the auction house intact to keep making money with it.

Not sure how much more they can do at the point where they realised their mistake.

I am still waiting for the "sry for the long wait times for our WoW expansions, we will do better!" apology to mean something though^^

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I'm probably the only weirdo that still thinks the Diablo 3 auction house wasn't a terrible idea, since it was something that, yes you could spend money on it, but you could also make money on it. Granted, they went about it completely wrong and fucked everyone over with the always-on bullshit, making the console port the actual better game, but I don't blame the auction house in its entirety, I just blame Blizzard for handling it poorly.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Your dog is very cute Jim :)

Yea I pretty much ignore everything that big publishers and even a lot of developers say these days. I've seen it too many times, them lying through their teeth, apologizing in the most smugly arrogant way possible, trying to spin bad publicity in a positive light (e.g. Watch Dogs PC graphics fix), making promises and never following through... I just don't trust them anymore.

I want to believe that the people making these games really do care about them and want to make a good product for them and us - but something has gone very wrong and that level of trust just doesn't exist anymore.

PG

Apr 2, 2008
Magmarock said:
Nice dog, and yeah Ubisoft recently apologized for using DRM but Far Cry 3 is still not on GOG :/

I'm getting rather tired of these companies and I know the word boycott is thrown around a lot but I seriously mean in it. in reference to your old episode on boycotts; Call of Duty 4 was the first and last COD I ever bought because I didn't like it. I have completely stopped giving EA and Actervision my money, with the only message being please leave the industry.
I'm not buying any more of Ubisoft's games, but not as a form of protest, I just don't think they're worth money anymore.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thats why i liked renting games or buying second hand. When companies are terrible then they dont get my money. But then i only buy game i really want full price day one. But i think their are some games like that Dungeon Keeper, that is an obvious cash grab. An Sim City was terribly broken....is it even playable yet? Its that idea of what people wanted from a Sim City game, and they thought "fuck the fans, lets make something what we think they want". An thus we get rubbish. Fable could have been a great series if Moly didnt keep over selling it, not fixing the issues but instead added stuff no one wanted. Maybe Fable 4 will be awesome now without him.

Jim, why isnt the dogs name in the credits? He made your video great yet got no credit for the work. ;-)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Hey, I actually liked the Syndicate reboot after playing it recently. A bit too "Directed by J.J Abrams"-y but still fun. But that's not the point of this video, so moving on.

I would say that MS being mentioned on this with the Xbox One isn't as bad, as they did actually do something, unlike the other examples, even if it was under duress. If the next console comes along with the shit that they tried to pull this time, then I'd add them to this shitlist.

Finally, dat dog :3

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
owbu said:
the diablo 3 comment seems slightly weird in the context of the rest of the episode (Just saying sorry to boost sales, but not changing anything)
Blizzard removed the auction house and completely remodeled the lootsystem towards what customers wanted, instead of saying sorry and then bringing out RoS with the auction house intact to keep making money with it.

Not sure how much more they can do at the point where they realised their mistake.
The Blizzard only screwed up once so far. They said sorry and fixed the problem within the one game that was a problem, which is further than anyone else typically gets, and they have not yet repeated the problem. Until Blizzard becomes a repeat offender I don't think we can lump them in with EA and Ubisoft as false apologists. The worst we can say for sure about Blizzard at this time is that they had the hubris to think they could succeed where all others have failed, turning a real world money auction house and always online into a good idea.

Now, if the next Blizzard game has the same problems as Diablo 3 then we can start lumping them in with EA. But so far they have shown their intent to change by actually changing Diablo 3 with the release of ROS. It may have been purely for financial reasons but they did change.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
Magmarock said:

Yeah I'm with you there. I've already been started to boycott a lot of companies, at least big budget ones. Ubisoft, EA, and Capcom are just a few. Though Capcom is really about to be a non issue anymore.

I have to say I'm happy to see an episode on this topic. My brother and I have talked about this kind of things before and how sick and tired we are of the excuses and how ironic it is that they always say sorry right before the next big release. Every time we here that we take pleasure in not buying their product. We aren't perfect and we've been burned before with this kind of stuff, but we don't buy into it anymore. Those three plus even the big 3 console manufacturers have played the sorry card multiple times before and then went right back to what they were doing. Honestly with all the manipulation and lack of trust in this industry, its hard not to pirate games first just so you can try before you buy.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Don't let miniature fantasy Willen Dafoe anywhere near him! I can tell by the look in his eye... that dog's a born killer!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
tm96 said:
I don't think companies like EA or Ubisoft will learn their lessons unless it truly bites them in the ass.
Here's the thing though (and this is another facet of this issue that I'd quite like to see a Jimquisition on), no one company can eve get properly taken to task and pilloried for its bullshit, when the cycle of bullshit is so regular and so many different people are on board.

Whenever Ubisoft does something stupid (and they inevitably do) people will rightfully moan and other people like Jim will make entire shows or articles moaning. If they're lucky, Ubisoft will respond. If they're very lucky, Ubisoft will respond in a way that isn't basically just saying "Fuck all y'all!" However, just as it is inevitable that Ubisoft will fuck up, it is also inevitable that they'll only have to bear the heat for a couple of weeks before EA, or Activision, or Microsoft, or Nintendo, or Square, or Capcom, or all the others currently riding the merry-go-round of dishonest and incompetent business, do something even MORE shitty or stupid. The complain train will move on, and Ubisoft will be in the clear until the next time it's there turn to fuck up.

I'm not saying it's our fault for being too easily distracted. We should be complaining about all these things. It's just that the trouble is, we have so much to complain about, coming from so many different directions, that we can't ever focus our bile in one place for long enough for anyone to really get shit-canned, and as a result, nobody is ever going to learn. They know it too. Just as we've seen the cycle of empty apologies happen a thousand times, they've seen a thousand times that all they have to do is make the most token of concessions to placate us, until somebody else comes along and gives us something new to be mad as hell about.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Well Nintendo also apologized for the initial 3DS launch, gave a price cut and gave early adopters 10 free games which was nice of them and they recovered magnificently from their shitty launch so kudos for them, let's hope they do something similar with their console.

Also, nice pooch Jim.