Jimquisition: EA & Ubisoft: A Cycle of Perpetration and Apology

geier

Oct 15, 2010
I still fail to see the problem. A company's goal is to make money. When the customers ARE stupid and throw money at shit, why not collect it?
This is part of being free. You have to make decisions for yourself. If you are too stupid to see shit and stay away from it, you shouldn't have financial freedom. Today i learned of a kickstarter project were a guy asked for 10$ to make potato salad. Up to now, he made 7.700$. That says all about the so called informed consumer.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh it's a lovely trick executives love to do in any industry for when they get cought out. It's coz a decent human being will forgive incomptance in a person coz hay, we all make mistakes right. We're only human and no body if perfect. Where if it wasn't a "mistake" then it would have to be delibarate from the start and the executives conspired to abuse you and that would be unforgivable.

Sep 24, 2008
BeerTent said:
Just for shits, I followed that link. And I took a look on the forums. I'll agree with you, and I have to add this...

Is an Authenticator what I think it is? How fucking pathetic is it that you need an authenticator to play goddamn blizzard games? The part that blows me away is that the community turns on the victims, "[...]because he doesn't have an authenticator and he blames Blizzard. This community man, this community."

If you ask me, the fact that your system is so goddamn fragile that you need an authenticator, THAT's what needs to be addressed.
Authenticators are usually smartphone programs that will give you another set of gibberish to plug into along with your regular password.

However, They also seem to have problems, as there are a string of people who do still get hacked with Authenticators, Evidenced Here [https://www.google.com/search?q=authenticator&oq=authenticator&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=diablo+3+authenticator+hacked]. Even a Reporter got hacked while using one.

Diablo Developers response? "Lulz. Internet. What u gonna do, huh? File ticket and hope we can help."

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
(I posted this in the comments of one of your videos, but I don't know if you read them, so I figure I'd post this here just to be sure.)

Hey Jim,

I don't know if you read the comments (I hope you do), but I wanted to bring something to your attention/ask for coverage.

EA's been pulling some nasty shit with the upcoming Sims 4. I know it's not exactly the most respected series out there, but it's one of EA's bigger cash-cows, and they've basically started to hack the game to bits, taking out core features that have been in the series for years, and calling it an "improvement." Most recently, it was revealed that the reason the game is so fucking bare-bones is because EA was planning to do with TS4 what it did to SimCity, but backpedaled after seeing the PR shit-storm that came in the wake of SimCity's launch. They scrapped the game, and attempted to rehash it from the ground up within the same launch window as their online version.

My point is, the fans of this series are mad, supposedly the developers working on this game are mad, and EA is smiling through its teeth and revealing next to NOTHING about this fucking game (we've yet to even see an actual, unscripted gameplay demo) and hoping it blows over, and I implore you, the man, the myth, the LEGEND, Jim-The-************-Sterling, to help ensure that the word of EA's bullshit and nasty anti-consumer tendencies get called out once more, and let the public know why this game is a travesty.

Here's a link to a well-known fan blog featuring the details of this debacle, with several links to research/evidence supporting it:

http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/90934806596/the-sims-4-pools-toddlers-what-happened

Sincerely,

The Dan

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Thank God for Jim (and the dog).

Nice dog aside, yeah, EA is being EA again. I hope Jim does one on the demo suddenly being sold for a fiver and people not believing in it being a simple mistake.

Chosenagain

Jul 7, 2014
Question,
Has there been any positive actions taken by a video game company or any interesting ideas used in recent games that anyone has enjoyed?

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
It is, indeed, getting tiresome, Jim. I'd really really really like you to shut up about this issue...

...Just as soon as there's no longer any issue to discuss. (Yeah!)

Unfortunately, the "cycle" doesn't suggest that day will come any time soon, does it?

The really frustrating thing is these companies actually make GOOD games - although I'm unsure as to how long it's been since EA has done so. Ubisoft, though, recently made "Far Cry 3", a game I'd really love to play (but I don't want the DRM. I got burned by "GFWL" already. Steam's bad enough. I don't want yet another system clogging up my gaming rig.)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Don't let miniature fantasy Willen Dafoe anywhere near him! I can tell by the look in his eye... that dog's a born killer!
Fappy, worried about a dog? What a shock. xD

Isn't it partly Fantasy Willen Dafoe's fault for looking so chewable and tasty? ;p

OT:

:D Barnaby is a great dog name. It means, "son of exhortation".
Perfect description of such a cute beast. :3

Anyway, yes. Jim is very right about this. It reminds me of when Yahtzee compared fans of companies to people in abusive relationships.

They do something wrong to you, say sorry, make promises to do better while kind of putting the blame on other things/people (like you, the consumer), and then do more crap later. -_-

[sub][sub]Disclaimer: I am not equating abusive game company to consumer relationships to actual abusive person to person relationships. The latter is far more serious.[/sub][/sub]

Thank Dog for Jim!

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Jim, don't you live in the southern US? I thought pit-bulls were illegal in most of that general area. Which is utterly stupid, of course, anyone who isn't a total moron knows that aggressiveness is down to training rather than breed, but I'm surprised to see you own one.

He's so cuuuuuuuuuuuute!

*ahem*

Yes, video gamey things, quite, spot on, very true, corporate bullshit and so on.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
SQEEE!!!!! Doggy!
I love dogs. What is he, bulldog? Bloody big fangs, looks Orcish.

Anyways... I have nothing substantial to say. Eh, thank god for jim (and his dog) etc.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
The newest game I just bought recently was Shovel Knight. Yacht Club Games are great developers, I've seen them in interviews, live interviews. They're all just happy, fun loving people with senses of humor. I'm happy I bought their game and supported them. Their games great and the developers are great.

I will never buy a game from EA, Ubisoft, etc. ever again. I haven't for years and I won't start now since none of their games have any of my interest. I simply ignore them and no problems on my end at all. I am getting interested in Nintendo's products again though from people playing them and I see how fun they are. I may get a Wii u and 3DS someday when I can afford them. But we'll still see about that.

I don't support shitty publishers/developers bad decisions. I'm not an idiot and they won't take advantage of me.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Jim, don't you live in the southern US? I thought pit-bulls were illegal in most of that general area. Which is utterly stupid, of course, anyone who isn't a total moron knows that aggressiveness is down to training rather than breed, but I'm surprised to see you own one.

He's so cuuuuuuuuuuuute!

*ahem*

Yes, video gamey things, quite, spot on, very true, corporate bullshit and so on.
........That's not a pit bull. That is clearly a bull dog. They're not the same thing.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
that is a nice dog jim

man, you dont know how it kills me sometimes to not buy EA games, there are some games from them i really want to try out, like the mass effect series and the first dragon age, but every time the thought invades my mind, i get reminded of the disgusting cancer theyve become for this industry and just how little they deserve my money

but its ok, i might not have mass effect but i still bought sonic all stars racing on the last steam sale, man its so good, how come there are not that many good kart racing games anymore? particulary on PC

as for Ubisoft, for the time being i can still stomach to buy their games, theyve gotten a lot worse lately, but they still havent reached the deeps of decadence EA has, i can only be hopelesssly optimistic theyll stop being so shit before its too late

SnowWookie

Nov 22, 2012
"The video game industry thinks you're an idiot... and you're not"

When it comes to the average gamer, all evidence would seem to point to the contrary. EA, Ubisoft (and let's not forget Activision!) keep pulling this shit and people keep buying their games. A glance at the top selling games and you're bound to find multiple games by these guys in the top 20 on any given week

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
teamcharlie said:
I would prefer not?to see that dog again. Nothing wrong with your dog specifically (okay, the visible teeth
Are you aware that a dog showing teeth does not mean it's aggressive? Also that dog is built so that it kinda always has to show teeth.

ASPCA said:
Some dogs show a ?submissive grin? when they?re feeling extremely submissive. They pull their lips up vertically and display their front teeth (canines and incisors). This signal is almost always accompanied by an overall submissive body posture, such as a lowered head, yelping or whining, and squinty eyes. Only some dogs ?grin? this way. People sometimes mistakenly think a dog is being aggressive when, in fact, he?s grinning submissively and trying to communicate the exact opposite of aggression.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
teamcharlie said:
Ipsen said:
teamcharlie said:
I would prefer not?to see that dog again. Nothing wrong with your dog specifically (okay, the visible teeth and the barking really don?t help). But I?m afraid of them.

For me, this video felt like a retread of old ideas (companies apologizing for shitty behavior to the public without actually stopping is not exactly a new phenomenon), but I guess there are probably viewers who somehow expected that EA and Ubi et al. love them and would never lie and for whom this video is be a revelation.

So, uh, keep up the good work? Keep spinning out largely the same points every year for the people who are too lazy to look through the backlog of this show, who are also probably the people who most need to be told that big companies lie? Kinda depressing really.
It bugs me (and discredits yourself) that you find the lies of businesses so commonplace or obvious.
Um, discredits me as what exactly? As a longtime viewer of Jim?s show? As an observer of things? I can tell you right now that I have seen nearly every episode of the Jimquisition and I have observed many a thing throughout my life.

Also, businesses. Walmart acting friendly and happy while gouging its workers and employing/buying from sweatshops to keep prices down. Oil cartels making up oil crises to keep gas prices high. Deregulated power companies in California lying about power supply issues and the causes of brownouts to keep prices high. Hucksters selling ?revitalizing tonics? made of heroin, lead, goat urine and radium before things like the FDA began regulating how much people can lie about what their products put in your body. Businesses have been lying since there were businesses, and it doesn?t surprise me that big video game companies are also businesses.
Punish the company, educate the customers. That's my take on the matter.

For conscientious gamers, saying that nickel-and-diming practices or excessively convenient apologies are both inexcusable is pretty standard stuff. We're aware of how the industry works. We care.

The thing is, there's a whole subset of the gamer populace that sets its collective eyes on a given title, decides it'll purchase it or pre-order it months in advance, and then buys the game without stopping to see the title's critical reception. From game to game, they don't find themselves invested in the practices involved - all they care about is the end product. That's what the big publishers rely on; the undying and unquestioning support of the "core fanbase" for Game Series Such-and-Such.

We need to educate these people in particular, get them to understand that if a car manufacturer treated its products the same way publishers treat their games, we'd be living in a world in which people would magically forgive horrendous incidents wherein multiple cars from a same model or line, say, had their fuel lines explode and turn the car into a giant, flaming ball of death. We *need* to ensure that no gamer, either casual or hardcore, just sits on the sidelines and complacently lets publishers have their cake and eat it.

Consumer advocacy needs to become a part of the gamer culture. It needs to be more than the province of some supposed malcontents who can't kneel down and say thank you.

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Jim! I don't know if you're publicly shaming games or not anymore, but I thought you might be interested in "Steaming" fresh "Claire," which straight up steals graphical elements from Home, Lone Survivor, Metal Slug (I think) and several others that I just didn't care enough to identify. This piece of reconstituted game product being sold at a $10 pricetag comes to us from Hailstorm (As in they stole their name from a crappy girl-Nickelback band) Games, not Hail Storm (a storm whose primary form of precipitation is hail.)