Jimquisition: EA versus Zynga - The Lesser of Two Evils

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
EA versus Zynga - The Lesser of Two Evils

Electronic Arts and Zynga duking it out is one of the biggest supervillain slap-fights in history. Both companies are reviled by gamers the world over, but as is our nature, we can't just sit back and watch the carnage. People are picking sides, and while many have chosen to root for the lesser evil, they may be confused as to which one that actually is.

Easy mistake to make, to be honest. It's hard to tell.

Watch Video

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
That was a spot on impersonation of Bane. Probably helped you already have a British accent.

contla

Jan 17, 2012
"EA is a hero for the little people"
That's why they fired George Fan after announcing Plants vs. Zombies 2

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The worst part of this is that by suing Zynga, EA is saying they own the entire sim genre. That is not something anyone should fight for.

Granted, the plagiarism is a big deal too, but Zynga I'm sure still built the game from the ground up.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I thank god for Willem Dafoe or however his name is spelled.

As for who to root for, I root for the developers that EA has assimilated into its amorphous blob of a form. However, EA and Zynga can both go die in a fire. I'm generally not a fan of Zynga just because they don't make games I would like to play, I'm really not a fan of EA because they embody everything publishers should aspire to NOT be, so I say both companies can go bankrupt. Hopefully EA's roster of developers prisoners will escape so they can go back to making games for slightly less annoying corporate overlords. And while I'm at it, perhaps someone will make the REAL Ultima 9 and declare the one we got non-canon.

I still say if we need to blame anyone, we blame Corporate Commander.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, EA has done nothing but destroy game company after game company... This may perhaps be the first time that EA's had a hand in taking down a company without owning them first.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Yeah I agree that Zynga's the lesser eville (I apologize for the pun but I had to say it) and I hope they win the lawsuit because otherwise I fear EA will start suing more and more developers because they can.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Were people actually naive enough that this recent lawsuit was anything about one company slamming down on a much smaller one. This is more news to me than the fact EA resembles a flesh eating disease.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!! I'M WILLEM DAFOE!!! NOW ITS TIME TO GO LICK THE SUN!!!

I couldn't stop laughing at this vid.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Right. Start a kickstarter to enable Jim to sue both EA and Zynga. Sorted.
And I'm not sure why Willem Dafoe has a bit of a northern accent.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
What? There are actually people cheering on EA and eating up their PR shit about this? Ugh... people are so fucking stupid. That's the fanboy/"hardcore" gamer mentality at work right there. "EA is suing that casual FB game company! EA are our heroes because they're pretending to hate what we hate!"

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
I.Muir said:
Were people actually naive enough that this recent lawsuit was anything about one company slamming down on a much smaller one. This is more news to me than the fact EA resembles a flesh eating disease.
Human beings are capable of stupidity on levels that boggle the mind. Add arrogance and you've got a person that is not only stupid as all fuck but angrily opposes anything intelligent because they can't admit they are wrong about anything. The most frightening thing in the world is that these people vote, they drive cars, and they get into management positions. That's enough to make anyone cry.

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
I guess the idea is people want to show EA that they can and will support them when they're in the right (and I do think legally they're in the right here) and rise up against them when they're in the wrong (Day One DLC and the like) thereby showing them what they can do to get gamers to like them again since to companies like EA, PR matters. Maybe, just maybe if the most powerful company in the industry wakes up to what gamers want from the business side of the industry, then we might just see a bright future for this industry.
...and maybe Willam Dafoe isn't incredibly sexy.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Ohhh I see what you did there. This entire episode is a joke isn't it? No one would actually believe EA is a legit good guy.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
trollpwner said:
That's as retarded as saying that you can't like a game and hate its developer.
Fanboys are kind of crazy like that.

Mid Boss said:
I.Muir said:
Human beings are capable of stupidity on levels that boggle the mind. Add arrogance and you've got a person that is not only stupid as all fuck but angrily opposes anything intelligent because they can't admit they are wrong about anything. The most frightening thing in the world is that these people vote, they drive cars, and they get into management positions. That's enough to make anyone cry.
*Feels validated because somebody else gets it.