Jimquisition: Early Access

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Interesting views there Jim. I have made a long term investment in The Dead Linger, but haven't tried any of the others you mentioned.

Also

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I have little time to play, I have even less time to bug report -_- So no, the Early Access wagon can crash into oblivion for all I care. I wish devs had closed betas of something like 10 dedicated people who are there to QA, not everyone who is just curious and has disposable income.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hah, hilarious parody.

I agree fully. I see games that I really like the sound of and wonder, "Wow, how haven't I heard of this yet" and I watch the video and am impressed again. But then when I scroll down and see "Early Access", I immediately realise I've made a mistake and leave the page. I wouldn't pay for early access to a AAA game either.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
This is a unfinished comment. More content will be added later.
Edit: Meta commentary disguised as jokes aside, I don't get the point of Early Access ...for Triple-A. Do companies feel like being douchebags about it because the initials is "EA"?

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I've really come to dislike early access.
If devs need money up front then kickstart your project instead. Release your software early to backers when it's actually worth beta testing, but this whole notion of letting people "test" pre-alpha stuff is quite silly because not even the devs will gain anything from that (bar money up front). There will just be too many bugs (which the devs will be fully aware of) and missing features in a pre-alpha stage for any public input to be worth a flying duck to the devs.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Goliath100 said:
This is a unfinished comment. More content will be added later.
Lies. You just said Candlejack and you're trying to cover up

Arppis

May 28, 2011
Oh yeah, been playing one of these early access games for a month now. It looks really good, but still lacks some of the basic network functions a finished game would have. You might have heard about it: Battlefield 4!

Morthasa

Jun 22, 2011
I just realised how jarring it is for an episode to not finish with Jim reminding us to thank God for him.

Hartland

Apr 16, 2012
I was relieved by the end of it because we don't have to thank god for Jim until the final version.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I've paid for early access a few times, but only when the game was in a state where it was fun to play and I would get a chance to make the game better. Also, it is much better when it is an $10 indie game, not $20 or $30 or more.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Hilarious episode. Well put together too, for its intented message.

I don't typically have an issue with early access; it's most likely going to lead to feedback at a point in development where the developers haven't burned all they can into the project. But that hinges on if updates (and especially feedback-refined updates, which can diverge from the original vision) come out timely.

Even more worrisome, for players, are even consistent updates going to be worth souring your first impression of a game?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Jim you beautiful beautiful beautiful man!

From start to finish this episode hit everything nail on the head.

The only unfinished game i have bought was star command, and although im looking forward to the extra features when/if they ever happen i've all but given up waiting on them. The guys have my money already and i have is their word that the game will be finished.

But thats a mobile format, console gaming no no no no no no no. Never not for this consumer anyway

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
I think early access is really good for indy and small time devs who want to make games and need cash sooner rather than later. Of course it is a bit of a gamble but no less so than backing a game or project on kickstarter or indigogo. At least for steam early access there is a game there. If the peoples want to help fund the small guys let them!

does not count for AAA titles, you guys should have your shit together at this point

Aug 1, 2010
I was just talking to a friend about this the other day.

He was actually dumb enough to pay for the $90 Planetary Annihilation early access.

The only thing worse than charging full price for an unfinished product is charging [i/]more[/i] than full price for an unfinished product.

The other major issue on Steam is the tendency of indie devs to just abandon work on their projects. There are many, many early access products that haven't seen any sort of update in 6+ months and there's little accountability to be had.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
Brilliant episode and I'm with Jim 100% on this. I was researching bits to do for a blog entry on my impressions of the Xbox One after getting it just over a week ago now and while looking at Killer Instinct, the realisation that it was an incomplete game being sold (that's the £15 version) minus at least two characters which were promised at a later date.

I didn't realise the extent of the problem on Steam as I'd refuse to pay full price on a title with promises of missing features being plugged in in future. I think the Escapist and other review sites might do well having a section dedicated to early access games, judging them on content, potential and the developer's ability to deliver against the asking price ahead of a full blown review when the game is officially 'complete'

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I have basically zero problems with Early Access as long as it is clearly labeled that way. I also don't mind them charging full price, or really, any price they want. If someone wants to pay full price or even extra to get an early look at the game, why not?

I play way to many games to actually participate in early access anymore. I actually did buy Minecraft in Alpha though. I wouldn't want to go back on that decision since watching that game develop and turn in to an insane world-wide experience was great. However, I sometimes wish I could forget everything I knew about it and start from the beginning so that I could experience the current version of the game "fresh". So, now I prefer waiting until the product is close to finished.

Even that plan is a bit difficult though. I'm super-interested in Prison Architect. It's been "Early Access" forever now and even goes on sale.

Anyway, it seems to help the developers (through funding) and it offers an interesting experience for those who want to take part in that. As long as it is not deceptive, no problem.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I don't personally do Early access or beta testing even for games I like. Wasteland 2 is a good example of this.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
There are indeed way too many early access games on steam. However I do recommend Prison Architect and Kerbal Space Program. Both feature regular updates and are perfectly playable in their current states. Both also have the crucial difference of actually realizing it is an alpha and want active feedback on how the game should develop.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I was just talking to a friend about this the other day.

He was actually dumb enough to pay for the $90 Planetary Annihilation early access.

The only thing worse than charging full price for an unfinished product is charging [i/]more[/i] than full price for an unfinished product.

The other major issue on Steam is the tendency of indie devs to just abandon work on their projects. There are many, many early access products that haven't seen any sort of update in 6+ months and there's little accountability to be had.
Both of these are completely valid points. However I do want to point out that the early access of planetary annihilation included the collectors edition with art books and such. They took the collectors edition from their kickstarter and put it on steam. Should they have just put the standard edition? I think so yes. But we have to be fair. They aren't overcharging for just the game. Your second point however I will agree with no contest, far too many are simply indie games that want to release knowing it can be labeled incomplete to make people give it benefit of doubt. I've seen several early access games get one patch and then get abandoned.