Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards 2013 - Ridiculous Fishing

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm not saying it's a bad concept - far from it - but I saw this and immediately remembered there's a flash game based on the Cartoon Network show "Steven Universe" with pretty much the exact same mechanic, only in reverse: you have to climb a series of platforms as high as you can go while avoiding enemies. Then, when time runs out, you fall back down, this time ramming into every enemy you can. The higher you go, the longer the fall, the more points you can earn.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Dammit, Jim, this looks to quirky to NOT try out! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

captcha: Reframe the Moment
strange, my spellcheck doesn't count "Reframe" as a word.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
This looks fun, but not enough for me to buy a smart phone over. Maybe I can bug my sister to buy it. I'll just have to play the browser version instead.
Lightknight said:
Thank you for pointing that out.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
King Whurdler said:
Drummodino said:
...I cannot say I was expecting that. I have to go look this game up now.

My prediction for the final two games, The Last of Us and Saints Row IV (Calling it now folks).
Keep in mind that he also gave The Stanley Parable a 10, and aapprently loved it so much he couldn't even review it because of the slightest possibility he would spoil it, so keep that in mind.
True I forgot about Stanley. He did give The Last of Us a 10 as well and I believe Saint's Row a 9? So probably two of those three.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
I have it (from a Humble Bundle) and I confirm: it's quite fun and addictive, definitely a nice choice for smartphones.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Saw the title and never looked twice at this game... my bad. I don't think a mobile title needs excusing, I actually think thins have been great and getting better on that front especially when compared to the craptastic rehasery consoles have been lumping upon us more and more. My laptop and my phone are about all I need to have fun. Looks like I've got some Ridiculous Fishing to check out.

Jim said:
Why did I talk so bloody much?
Because the sound of your voice is angel whispers upon our mortal ears and you were feeling generous.

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
The title of the video totally spoiled the reveal but I am looking forward to the next two parts.

Ryleh

Jul 21, 2013
As a recovering Ridiculous Fishing addict I can't agree more. Got this as part of the Humble Mobile Bundle 3, and it really stood out from the other games (as well as Rymdkapsel which also stole several hours of my life).

My only gripe is that I found the game still had issues with locking up from time to time. It usually happened when I'd just saved up a buttload of cash to buy some ridiculous power-up, only to find both my money and my purchase had vanished when I restarted the game.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Sounds interesting, at Ā£1.99 it's pocket change anyway so I'm downloading the game now, hopefully it'll be as good as you say Jim!

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
This episode ironically provides a rebuttal of Jim's previous copyright episode where he suggested that he doesn't need publishers and their released materials like trailers and such.

But he does.

If not for idiotic copyright nonsense Jim could just quickly record his own footage of him playing his own game and not have to roll the only trailer footage he could find twice.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
That game looks quite enjoyable. Unfortunately I don't have an idevice so I guess I cant play it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
That game looks quite enjoyable. Unfortunately I don't have an idevice so I guess I cant play it.
Play the browser based version for free: http://www.bored.com/game/play/150995/

They sold that back in 2010 and it's basically the same game minus the new makeup and tighter controls. It's why I was surprised that this got a 2013 award but it's definitely a new version of the game.

Looks like it's out on Android now too:

http://www.ridiculousfishing.com/

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, I purchased and played this game due to Jim's award. This is by no means a "game of the year" quality game. For the money, it's a very fun game. But it's just a basic iOS game. Nothing as addicting as Angry Birds even. Not sure why it got anywhere further than being a good game. Jim is entirely entitled to handing out his awards to whomever he darn well pleases but I thought I'd mention this contradiction to warn anyone buying the game based on this. It's nothing extraordinary. Not like Stanley Parable which is another really short game but steeped in value (Another game I recently played in response to Jim's award and have much thanks to give Jim for it). One of the rare "misses" in my opinion.