Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part One

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
T3hSource said:
Dishonored I feel is pretty meh,it's a good game,but it's just so bland in terms of storytelling and atmosphere.
I mean it can't keep it up,it's only dreary on the outside.We don't get enough context on the places we visit,the world lore doesn't hold its own,and you barely care because you never see it having an affect in the actual environment you're in.
It took Yahtzee to tell me why I didn't care about the world or characters,it's because it's so mechanized,you can't relate to anything.Did I care about the people you murder?No.Did I really care about the Loyalists in the first place as a player?No.Did I care about the black death that is plaguing the town?No.Did I care in the political intrigue which you're dragged in?Nope.
The list goes on...Conclusion: Story,context and aesthetics didn't truly engage me as a player,exceptions being Emily,Piero and Sokolov.

The game is quickly forgetful.The counter argument for the last point is that I never really dicked around and did stuff for the hell of it,I might have when I got detected but I don't remember.
It's truly strong in gameplay which is immediately broken by the overpowered,yet mandatory Blink which you get after the first level.I played on the hardest difficulty and breezed through it(admittedly I was save scumming like there's no tomorrow),mainly because I went the solid stealth non-lethal approach,which allowed me to truly explore almost everything in the environment.

After this comes the next aspect in which this game shines brightly: level design,it felt hub-like,just like Deus Ex and Hitman.Here's a level for you to explore and make your own playground.It's a shame that the few games I select to play usually have this kind of levels,so I'm spoiled when it comes to this,but I admit I was satisfied when lurking in the shadows looking for openings around guarded areas,notes,cash,potions and the like.

But overall I enjoy Mark of the Ninja more than this.Call me a stealth fanatic or whatever but that's my personal opinion.Mark of the Ninja has a flat out better story,better atmosphere and much better refined stealth mechanics,not to mention it's 2D which makes it simpler,yet just as challenging.What can I say,I like pure stealth more than stabby,stabby action.

TL;DR Dishonored is good,but not great.Story,context,background seriously underdeveloped.

EDIT: Please don't let this post discourage you buying Dishonored,like I said,I'm a stealth fanatic and only explored one aspect of the game.The developer needs recognition and the game IS good,the options for playing however you feel like are there,you are free to combine abilities and terrain to your will at any given moment of the game.
i agree with you. game is good but not great. i also forgot what was going on and dint care much about the characters in the game as well. i had a good time with it and i will play it again eventually, but now im busy with BF3 and AC3.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
TheSteeleStrap said:
Knusper said:
He didn't say 'Thank God for me' at the end O.O
Yeah, I can't feel like my week can go on as normal without that.
You're gonna have to wait until Friday.

OH THE SUSPENSE!
Aah, see this is how he gets you. He's testing the waters for his inevitable takeover.

First he has you waiting a week, then two weeks, then a month, then several months and it keeps going like that until one day the whole world's been conditioned to say it every hour on the hour.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Father Time said:
I avoided all the hype for Dishonored because with all those powers my first thought was "wouldn't this game be super easy if you have all those powers"?

Can anyone who's played the game tell me if it's really easy or not?

Also my guess for tomorrow's game based off the clue is Prototype 2.
if you play the stealth approach, its not that easy. also if you chose the rambo approach, you still have to be careful. even with the powers.
my first play through took me over 15 hours. i really took my time and tried to be careful if you want to reach the "ghost" achievement by the end of the level.
in short, its like deus ex HR, just in a more fantasy setting world. and deus ex HR wasnt really easy either, despite the powers you had.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Good to know in advance that Lone Survivor will pop up, I was really disappointed when almost no media outlets recognized it. Though given Jim's seeming love of survival horror, it makes perfect sense.

Now just give XCOM some love and I'll be content. It is probably my personal GOTY, played the living hell out of that one.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
mabey the clue could be the walking dead game? the only I know of where it makes sense

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
loa said:
So you put a 1 minute intro into a 4 minutes video and will spam those 1 day each over 5 days.
Uh, no. The next videos feature only the tail-end of the intro (The Dishonored clip into the titles). Cool assumption though, bro!

VerdicAysen

Oct 5, 2006
Jim,

I typically truly value your opinion, and "Thank God" for you. However, I feel that the award was not given to a game truly deserving. Dishonored is simply put - Bioshock Revamped. It could have quickly fit into the same art style and story telling format that Bioshock has popularized (But never invented.) The game play felt similar, "magic" felt like "plasmids" and i've already forgotten most of the game. I even spent 38 hours in the game! It just simply wasn't great, original, or worthy of any Game of the Year awards.

To add further insult to injury, I felt I wasted 60$. I might have paid 30$ for this title, but it was not worthy of 60 and I should have taken that money and put it against better titles that came out later in the fall.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
itchcrotch said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
BahamutWings said:
Please, does anyone know the music from the opening montage? i really likes it! (also love ID'ing the FF9 in the background every week :D )
Cryogenic Echelon's "Demigod." 'Tis credited at the end.
It wasn't at the end. It just says Drill Queen like usual.
It's totally at the end, just after the regular credits.