Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part Two

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
But Jim, you charismatic stallion, how can 2D, retro graphics be immersive? I cannot possibly enjoy games unless they are First Person, played at 60 FPS with the latest video card!
If you are playing any game with the latest video card at 60 fps, you are probably doing something wrong. : p

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'm guessing the horror is exasperated by the fact that your character constantly has this creepy Joker-like grin on his face.
Not a grin. It's a "doctor mask" or whatever the name is.
Jim had one on yesterday at the end of the show.

However, to be fair I thought it was a smile too.
Really? Oh sorry, my mistake. Too bad, it would've been better if it was a grin esp. with the whole horror/sanity thing.
xD Who says he isn't grinning under the mask?

Answer: Whoever does the psych check at the end of the game....

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Jim, I am so - so happy you chose this as one of your big 5. This game is art. Without a doubt my GoTY, and it's an indie game no less!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'm guessing the horror is exasperated by the fact that your character constantly has this creepy Joker-like grin on his face.
Not a grin. It's a "doctor mask" or whatever the name is.
Jim had one on yesterday at the end of the show.

However, to be fair I thought it was a smile too.
Really? Oh sorry, my mistake. Too bad, it would've been better if it was a grin esp. with the whole horror/sanity thing.
xD Who says he isn't grinning under the mask?

Answer: Whoever does the psych check at the end of the game....
Touche
Still it would've been so much creeper if you were running around as this guy with a big Joker-like grin on his face instead of a mask.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Never heard of Lone Survivor before, but your recommendation totally sold me on this one. Thank you.

Also, the music playing from 1:37 mark passes all of the charts of awesome. Is it from LS as well? And more importantly - what's the name of this brilliant piece of music?

EDIT: Nevermind about the name. Quick YT search was enough: Jasper Byrne - Survival.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Yossarian1507 said:
Never heard of Lone Survivor before, but your recommendation totally sold me on this one. Thank you.

Also, the music playing from 1:37 mark passes all of the charts of awesome. Is it from LS as well? And more importantly - what's the name of this brilliant piece of music?

EDIT: Nevermind about the name. Quick YT search was enough: Jasper Byrne - Survival.
Yep! The soundtrack to the game is absolutely brilliant. Byrne's just an overall tremendous talent.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I was hoping Jim would sprinkle in some commentary over the course of these videos about his thoughts on gaming awards and there effect/place in the industry. Oh well, at least there's five of these this week.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I "accidentally" picked up Lone Survivor in a Humble Bundle and played it for about an hour. I was bored, the writing just seemed like pretentious rambling and it hindered any connection I might have to the main character, and nothing in the game scared me or even made me tense.

It's a shame; I tend to like things where the focus is on one guy who's slowly going insane, but Lone Survivor just didn't do it for me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hmm... Suspense is ruined by the fact that the game title (and developer, publisher, and whatnot) is right in the video description box. =(

InaquiTheArgentinian said:
AWWW i wanted the walking dead...
It's not Friday yet. You have to be patient. ;)

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Is the main character of that game wearing a mask, or does he just have a very big goofy grin? Anyway I'll have to put this game on my list of games I should get someday so thanks for giving it recognition Jim.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I wholeheartedly agree with this choice, and it's refreshing to see an indie title receive even a semi-GOTY. I got it in a humble bundle, figuring I'd give it a shot, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Visuals, music, dialog, combat, it all works together towards a focused goal in a way games rarely achieve. I also kept wondering while I was playing, about why exactly we need hyper tessellation DirectX 11 graphics when I was fully immersed in what could have been a SNES engine. Developers need to focus on the basics and good stuff first, for sure.

Oh, and survival horror is definitely not dead. There's the indie titles, but I swear that ZombiU is legit. An unnerving, tension filled ride through London that raised the stakes with every level. Play it in the dark, turn up the gamepad speaker. Not dead at all.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
so i just made the connection between jim's mask yesterday and the main hero here, and came the shocking realization that the hero has one of those masks on his face, and here i always thought it was a comically huge creepy smile. >.>

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I always thought that was a surgical mask...

As a fan of Silent Hill, I must have this game now. Especially if it's on the shorter/higher-replay-value!

I am trying to figure out what the red scarf might be a reference to... ho-hum. I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

BlueKenja

Jul 4, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
I always thought that was a surgical mask...

As a fan of Silent Hill, I must have this game now. Especially if it's on the shorter/higher-replay-value!

I am trying to figure out what the red scarf might be a reference to... ho-hum. I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Most likely Journey

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
But Jim, you charismatic stallion, how can 2D, retro graphics be immersive? I cannot possibly enjoy games unless they are First Person, played at 60 FPS with the latest video card!
Don't forget the multi-player mode with a competitive ranking system that leaves you feeling satisfied but hungry for more.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Akytalusia said:
so i just made the connection between jim's mask yesterday and the main hero here, and came the shocking realization that the hero has one of those masks on his face, and here i always thought it was a comically huge creepy smile. >.>
I just made that connection as well. So I'm guessing the scarf may be Journey.