Jimquisition: Konami

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
You should look at Capcom.

"Lol. Ace attorney 4 below 80 Metacritic? Next game not getting english translation"
"Whats that. Ace Attorney investigations below 80 metacritic score? No english translation on the second one!"

"Layton+Ace Attorney? Western gamers? Lol. They would not understand. NO TRANSLATION 4 U"

Well. Enjoy getting your game fantranslated and pirated you jackasses! Because youknow. Its the only way your fans can play the game now.
In a way I agree, I love and have bought each of those series and it's truly sad to now be denied an continuation for them. Especially with the announcement that they are continuing the series. I don't pirate but I may have to turn to fan translations just to see what goes on next. :(

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
I found out a couple months ago that Konami has apparently disbanded their entire Suikoden team. I don't know how many people enjoyed that series, but I personally loved it. I loved the overarching story, the continuity, everything about it was just awesome. At least, everything until Tierkreis, and guess what their "new" Suikoden for the PSP is going to follow after?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I remember staying up late to watch that press conference live, and not regretting it in the least. It was among the funniest things I've ever seen, it was tragically hilarious.

Jim, do Capcom next! Re-releasing games a few months after they've come out, releasing Monster Hunter, a hard core game, on the Wii, PSP and 3DS, and not the HD consoles? Releasing a Monster Hunter game on PS3 and not releasing it in the US? Capcom is even worse than Konami cuz Capcom still makes good games from time to time.

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one annoyed at Capcom. Funny how that is...

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Wait... Book of Memories is almost out?! God, Konami's pretty stupid about this if even I didn't know that... Of course, they were pretty stupid for even making Book of Memories, since, from what I've seen, the Silent Hill title iss pretty much just slapped on to increase sales, even though it would make fans mad. Which makes me question why they didn't give it more publicity. Huh...

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
Man I dunno, I kinda can't take Konami seriously after reading this little shitsnippet on the wikipedia page of that awful piece of shit Saw videogame:

Since Konami purchased the publishing rights after former publisher Brash Entertainment went bankrupt, Konami had a significant input on the games' final outcome. They stated that they have plans to make Saw their next big franchise as well as a spiritual successor to their other survival horror series, Silent Hill
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_(video_game) (third paragraph)

I mean, yeah, the Silent Hill series were suffering from low quality releases (especially Homecoming) at the time, and it may be actually a sane idea to concentrate on something else, but REPLACING the series' importance with SAW. Motherfucking kidding me, aren't you? Oh wait, you aren't.

Well, at least they didn't live up to that promise.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I do love a good Jim Stirling rant. And that was certainly a good one. Konami have never been a publisher I've connected with really, so I don't feel anger. In fact I don't think I've ever bought one of their games, so I'll just laugh at their business decisions.
I am pretty interested in their Metal Gear Solid HD Collection though, which of course I didn't even know was out. I suppose the MW3 thing explains why there aren't many reviews.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Silent Hill Downpour has also been delayed. It was supossed to be out in the UK last October but now it's not out until the end of March. I only know this because I keep an eye on Amazon's release dates. I don't anticipate the game to be any good.

I refuse to buy the Silent Hill HD "Collection" which only contains 2 games out of the series' 7 games. Plus what they did with the voice acting and textures is just criminal.

I bought the HD collection of MGS and it's actually pretty good. But then again... we're looking at games between 2 and 11 years old that have been re-released and as Jim said, it's not a hard task to complete.

Oh Konami... killing my favourite franchises is not good PR at all.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Also note that the Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship series that normally is released in february in Japan and Arpil/May in USA/PAL, has now not yet been mentioned.

Added to the horrible HD Silent Hill and arbitrary releasedate buggery (forgetting that press release with pseudo-anime characters for one second), has lead me to conclude that Konami has gone raving mad. It's sad. I like a lot of their games and franchises...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Is it me, or are the Japanese publishers especially prone to boneheaded decisions? Sure, EA and Ubisoft frequently enrage people, but at least what they do mostly makes sense from a business perspective.

Really, how can Konami fuck up what is essentially ports of their own games, except with a fresh layer of varnish over them? It would be quick and easy money. Or do they think consumers will buy anything as long as a big enough franchise name is attached to it?

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Since I don't follow MGS or Silent Hill I was unaware of Konami's current bullshit...
I feel bad for their fans.

Alufear

May 1, 2009
It was Castlevania's 25th Anniversary this year. How does Konami celebrate one of its most beloved franchises?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
To be honest I had no idea that Konami was still making games. Now how sad is that? They really need to get off their ass and reboot their marketing department or face the the way of the Dinosaur...extinct!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Konami seems to be okay financially.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88775/konami-profits-73m-in-q4-2011-raises-fiscal-year-forecast/

They made more money last quarter than

Capcom
Take Two
THQ
EA
Square-Enix
To be fair, I'm pretty sure you can make more money than THQ by fishing change out of the sofa.

Apr 28, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Konami seems to be okay financially.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88775/konami-profits-73m-in-q4-2011-raises-fiscal-year-forecast/

They made more money last quarter than

Capcom
Take Two
THQ
EA
Square-Enix
To be fair, I'm pretty sure you can make more money than THQ by fishing change out of the sofa.
Same with Square-Enix, actually. I think Deus Ex Human Revolution was their only profitable game last year.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Oh God, that press conference /facepalm.
Skipping the whole PS2 era I was looking forward to these HD collections. Decided to wait for the European release of MGS HD, pre-ordered the regular edition (didn't even know Limited Edition existed) and it turned out a number of European discs were bugged. In Snake Eater it was minor stuff like missing textures, audio falling out of sync and glitched trophies, but Sons of Liberty had this game breaking bug where (if you played it on hard difficulty) one of the bombs wouldn't spawn, preventing you from progressing.
Now this with Silent Hill HD. I really wanted to buy it, but now I think I'll pass. Wouldn't do the game justice by playing this version.
Oh well, there's still DMC and Team ICO collections I need to get :)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Yeah I never saw Metal Gear Solid HD Collection when it was released in the UK. I though it had been delayed until the spring because no uk site I visited had a release date for it even after it had been released.

Konami has really been going down hill for a while, I noticed this after the recent Pro Evolution Soccer games which has shown that Konami is prepared to sit back on the past successes of its games and not try and improve them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
You should look at Capcom.

"Lol. Ace attorney 4 below 80 Metacritic? Next game not getting english translation"
"Whats that. Ace Attorney investigations below 80 metacritic score? No english translation on the second one!"

"Layton+Ace Attorney? Western gamers? Lol. They would not understand. NO TRANSLATION 4 U"

Well. Enjoy getting your game fantranslated and pirated you jackasses! Because youknow. Its the only way your fans can play the game now.
They said "It didn't sell yet Okamiden did.". Yet AAI couldn't be found. I can find Okamiden at any Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy or Gamestop in my area yet only one store had AAI and it was after a month had passed.