Jimquisition: Konami

Jan 27, 2011
LoathsomePete said:
Wow, I just found out Downpour was released a few days ago from a meme, and I just attributed that to my lack of connection to the game's industry now, but seeing others who had no clue has me really taken back.
WHAAAT, it's OUT?!?

I haven't seen any reviews for it yet!! What the hell?! It's actually out?!

Konami, you fail. I was actually looking forward to that game, and then I hear no news, see no reviews, or anything for it in the weeks leading up to release?! Wha?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
A remember a time when every new release from Konami was something interesting and spectactular. Those days i had a ps1... Then came the ps2 and suddenly the quality of their productions slowly started to decline, the only games worth mentioning were the first couple of silent hill games and the metal gears stuff. After that it just seemed to get worse and worse, and now all their major series seems to be outsourced to random western developers :/. Isnt MGS one of the last major franchies that are still handled by konami themselves? Except for MGS rising that is.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
A remember a time when every new release from Konami was something interesting and spectactular. Those days i had a ps1... Then came the ps2 and suddenly the quality of their productions slowly started to decline, the only games worth mentioning were the first couple of silent hill games and the metal gears stuff. After that it just seemed to get worse and worse, and now all their major series seems to be outsourced to random western developers :/. Isnt MGS one of the last major franchies that are still handled by konami themselves? Except for MGS rising that is.
Zone of the Enders is apparently very good. I looking forward to the HD collection

sordcooper

Sep 14, 2010
oh wow, i'd no idea Konami was screwing up period, let alone THAT bad. my heart goes out to all the konami fans out there; who got deeply invested in their legendary franchises that i never bothered playing and getting deeply invested in enough to suffer like this...

...now im going to go back and weep over lionhead and their classic franchises that got screwed up hard by a parent company instead.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
RaikuFA said:
MrBaskerville said:
Zone of the Enders is apparently very good. I looking forward to the HD collection
It´s decent, but also released early on the ps2 before the decline became obvious. Never played the sequel though, as it slipped under my radar back then.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
One thing that I find funny is that people think that Konami might actually care what their fans think, and no I'm no just being cynical. Think of it this way, Konami releases a game from one of their major franchises and it is shit. The fans of those franchises will be all up in arms about it, see Mass Effect 3(and that actually physically hurt to type in). Konami really doesn't care, and do you know why? Because they know that, more often than not, people will by those games on either the title or the publishers name.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Would anyone mind telling me if Silent Hill: Downpour is any good? I'm not interested if it's anything close to the steaming turd that is Homecoming.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Volothos said:
This makes me fear for the future of the Zone of the Enders HD Collection. I really do hope nothing goes wrong there.
They couldn't do any worse than the first 2. I jest. No, really.

Rewind a little over a decade to 2000. Konami was my favorite label on a game case.
Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Dance Dance Revolution, Castlevania. Fast forward to today and each of these franchises has been meticulously piloted into the ground. Then developers go on record saying things like "Japanese releases can't compete with Western ones anymore". Hmm.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
I guess with this knwoledge in mind, a PC port of Downpour is about as likely as Jessica Alba coming over to my home and demanding sex with me exclusively for the next year and a half.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
On a side note, does anyone think Blades of Time looks a bit like X-Blades?

I just hope it's not also as SHIT as X-Blades, or else Konami really is going down the tubes.

Well, if that does turn out to be the case, at least they can take comfort in the fact that Square-Enix will probably be right behind them.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
So Jim, maybe you should just do an episode on Japanese Publishers in general. Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, a lot of them are just making terrible decisions and I just don't understand why.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
RaikuFA said:
MrBaskerville said:
It´s decent, but also released early on the ps2 before the decline became obvious. Never played the sequel though, as it slipped under my radar back then.
You should give it a look if you're not too caught up in other games. I never played the first one, but I got a lot of fun out of ZOE 2nd Runner, and all the reviews at the time said it was what the original should have been.

Rakun Man

Oct 18, 2009
josemlopes said:
Birds of Steel recently came out, almost no marketing behind it, and the game is fucking awesome (although it is kind of a niched market).
I completely agree (though I'm probably part of the niche market). Thank God for the demo because without it, I would have had very little idea about the game.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Capcom and Konami must be drinking the same water, because both of those Japanese companies are making terrible and moronic business decisions.
I dunno, Capcom at least have SOME idea what they're doing, since I've actually been somewhat aware of their recent releases. Asura's Wrath was pretty damned awesome.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
After all this crap, I fear for the future of Castlevania.
I already gave up on Silent Hill the moment Team Silent was disbanded.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
While some of your episodes are incredibly infuriating to listen to, some are rather fun and enlightening. This one was of the latter. Really well made :)

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Sir Ollie said:
Konami has been dead since they killed off Suikoden. YOU BASTARDS WHY!
They didn't even kill it off. They're just releasing completely unrelated games and titling them "Suikoden" now because it will sell more than a new franchise. Their failure to continue the franchise is when I first realized Konami was having issues. The fact they've given that important franchise a fate worse than death is what makes me despise them.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
That E3 press conference was spectacularly awful. I doubt Konami is never going to live down how horrible it was.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Thanks. After quite a few average episodes, I thought this one was very interesting. I think it's safe to say everybody already realized there's something seriously wrong with the game industries publishers and developers (and everyone else involved, really.) But it's an eye opener to see just how deluded they really are. Just look at those guys on stage; one of them looked stoned off his head.

Realistically, how does this happen? You'd think most people in the gaming industry would be fairly smart, yet they present themselves as if they're the dumbest people in the world. Is it an immature industry? Or is their quest for money kept them completely deluded from reality? I struggle to find one company that doesn't somehow fuck something up. Even a lot of Indie developers can't seem to really get a grasp of what to do.

It's quite saddening. All they have to do is put effort in to make a quality, original game; instead they believe the best way to make money is to rush things, treat customers like crap, and not put an ounce of thought into it--did I mention they like to blame everyone else for their problems?

If this is all caused by an influx of "non-dedicated" gamers buying their crap without thought, I really don't think there's anything we can do. Since these people wouldn't actively participate in online discussion. 'Suppose there's always Facebook, Twitter, etc.