I LOL'd in this one.

"You've just been served in Jim Sterling's truth kitchen."

That was prime.

Rock on dude.

KCL

Jan 12, 2010
Roocifer said:
Telegram from Capt. E. Blackadder.

Dear Mr Chaplain. Stop. Have discovered only person in the world less funny than you. Stop. Name Jimquisition. Stop. Oh and one more thing, please please please. Stop.
I opened this thread curious to see who actually watches this guy's videos. Good to know that a fair number of replies are from people who don't.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well if he isn't the most annoying person to listen to I can think of right now, he does have a point.

A point.

A single point that he goes over 3 or 4 times with endless pointless analogies without expanding on it that "Hey, Publishers are being the idiots with Metacritic".

Other areas he could have gone into if he didn't feel the need to pad the already short episode:
-WHY the publishers are idiots with metacritic
-problems with critic's scoring
-how the "progress" of games might inherently scews scores ahead of expectations
-why publishers aren't the only ones, why is a score aggregate so desired by all gamers.

Just compare and contrast Extra Credits with Jim Sterling with the most recent episodes covering pretty much the same subject yet the former is able to concisely cover far more points - convincingly - in the same amount of time. Also without recycling the same "thank god for me" gag.

Next episode could someone write the cliff-notes of his episode on a post-it note. Because I sure don't tune in for his charming personality.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Videos are growing on me. The man however is not. Seriously if I could cut all of the "I'm great, you all suck" bits out of his videos, then just carry on lsitening to them, not watching of course, it would all be fantastic.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Hate hate hate, Its so obvious that people are just mad that someone has an opinion that differs from their own. Keep making entertaining and deep videos.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
There is a thin line between parodying a fat pompous douchebag and being one. I think a lot of people gravitate towards Jim being one and thus hating his (fat) guts. This is also why Yahtzee > Jim. Because we all know yahtzee is sweet like honey and just playing an arse.

It also doesn't help that the points he brings up do not feel as unique as they should be, or that his jokes are based around him playing a fat pompous douchebag (he's not one really otherwise there are no jokes)

Kuhkren

Apr 22, 2009
When I use metacritic I also read the good, bad, and mediocre review scores to see the reasoning behind their scoring. It seems like an effective website if people read and judge the quality and relevance of the reviews.

JoelChenFA

Nov 24, 2010
Kenji_03 said:
Ya know, I think Jim finally has figured out his tone. "Everyone here hates me, and I like it that way". I'm starting to like Jim now, didn't think I'd say that at the start.
They say they like it. They say it. But do they feel it?

We don't want to see you hang yourself Jim. Its okay to admit that you don't like such comments. Escapist will be more happy to ban anyone who calls you names.

Like they do if we commented on your boobs.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
JoelChenFA said:
Rotten tomatoes works. SO should metacritic.
Doesn't rotten tomatoes work on a like-dislike system with equal voting of all users? A very different system that I don't think has been applied to games before.

It's not perfect as if something with very niche appeal is not targeted well then it will get panned.

Another problem is that it can discourage risk taking, like adding an element that could turn people from liking it to LOVING it, though it risks alienating many to change from a like rating to dislike.

No system is perfect because at the end of the day people have different tastes, if a film has niche appeal then it can get popularly panned:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/kung-pow-enter-the-fist

A modern classic like Kung Pow panned with a 14% score.

JoelChenFA

Nov 24, 2010
Swifteye said:
erbkaiser said:
Some good points made here, but unfortunately a lot too much arrogance for me to actually like this video.
A little less ego and a little more depth on exactly why the misuse of Metacritic is harmful, and here I mean that in videogame reviews for some insane reason a '70' means mediocre and a '60' means horrible, and the video would have been much better.
Your in trouble. Ego IS his hook you might as well ask yahtzee to stop being cynical or movie bob to stop being a nerd.
Its a really straight hook.

skullduggery

Jun 6, 2011
Wow, I actually really liked this jimquisition. If you had cut the "After I die..." part, it would have been a phenomenal episode.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Fearzone said:
I LOL'd in this one.

"You've just been served in Jim Sterling's truth kitchen."

That was prime.

Rock on dude.
What did he actually serve? that:

"publishers mistreating metascores is the same as blaming video games for crime"

His put down was pretty cool, but it would have been better saved for something much more poignant and profound that his poorly explained comparison that is spurious at best.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
JoelChenFA said:
Swifteye said:
erbkaiser said:
Some good points made here, but unfortunately a lot too much arrogance for me to actually like this video.
A little less ego and a little more depth on exactly why the misuse of Metacritic is harmful, and here I mean that in videogame reviews for some insane reason a '70' means mediocre and a '60' means horrible, and the video would have been much better.
Your in trouble. Ego IS his hook you might as well ask yahtzee to stop being cynical or movie bob to stop being a nerd.
Its a really straight hook.
It isn't very hard to be a jerk on the internet is it? Personally I would be above such things but even though it's very cliche and easy to be mean it still draws a crowd.....

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Jim kinda rubs me off the wrong way at times. But I gotta admit he's got the balls to do what I would probably want to do to trolls. So yeah, he's alright.

As far as Metacritic, I've never heard of it (Yeah, surprise!), but it sounds like just another internet site that reviews stuff, like Jim said. If they have an unique way to review stuff, well, that's their style. Can't tell them they suck or that they're wrong just because people disagree.
It's the internet, people! Don't take it so seriously. At the end of the day, we all log off.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I just wish these publishers that are setting fire to gaming would pay more attention to videos like this and Extra Credits; so many valid points for consideration, so many things to take away.

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
Pr0 said:
Thanks for the warning, I'll keep in mind that only site contributors are allowed to insult people from now on! I shall move back to my life of being a sad little cretin.
How true, my experience: call one person a jackass for,well, being a jackass and get a warning. Call the majority of your show's viewers pricks and get fame. (sigh)
I like this show btw, some truth well told. Though I'm afraid not in a way most of those concerned will be willing to listen to.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Zom-B said:
He's essentially right. And furthermore, you don't hear anyone complaining about how RottenTomatoes.com is ruining the movie industry.

As usual, a whiny minority seeks to change/ruin something for everyone else because they got their knickers in a twist of a perceived slighting.
Minority groups can be a good thing and can provide unique perspectives on matters. I would argue that the industry need super-hardcore fans, because quite often they're in tune with the essence of a game/series and can provide great feedback to developers. Bioware Social is a great example of a hardcore fanbase which contributes to the development process of Bioware games in a positive way. I frequently loiter around the Mass Effect forums and the developers have taken ques from community requests.

I feel that you've kinda missed the point, as it's not so much those OCD gamers who moan over score inconsistencies, but that it is ultimately the industry itself which has created a phenomena that works against the production of more innovative and risk-taking games. Sure, there's a small and vocal minority of people out there -- just like there is here on the Escapist -- who take issue with every detail in reviews and at the end of the day: it's their burden.

When will people learn that a 60, or a 70 does not necessarily equate to a bad game?

Love your videos, Jim! Make 'em angry :)