Jimquisition: Metacritic Isn't the Problem

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Dear Jim, you missed the part where not everyone has a 0-10 review scale, in which case, Metacritic puts just about anything they want there, index review written with no clue about the actual product, ignore balanced sources and, what was the other thing, oh yes, THOUGHT FOR MORE THAN A SECOND THAT SCORING HUMAN BEINGS BASED ON REVIEWS OF THEIR GAMES WAS A GOOD IDEA.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Why is the Escapist still posting these videos? Jim and his show are nothing but a self-referential rant on the obvious, using foul language and hollow faux sexism to fill in the gaps. I don't see how to improve the videos or why you would want to; everything said has been put forward many times before on this site and in much, much better terms.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Let's say I get a message in the mail, like this, from Jim or a similar observer of popular culture.

The contents of the message could be poignant, topical, relevant and completely on the nose from my subjective point of view.

But if the envelope is covered in slanderous messages about my obvious lack of intelligence (since I'm not Jim) and disparaging remarks about my mom's performance in bed, written in human feces (because that's always funny), I'm not going to open the envelope.

Call me crazy.
Exactly.

Pointing out that your only joking about being a wanker and a sexist ass doesn't make it any more funny. I feel like Jim has nothing to say beyond what's already been said, so to hide it he makes the video self-referential as to allow the "you're just taking it too serious" excuse.

Not funny. Not smart.

Shallow. Predictable.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Shouldn't bonuses be sales based? That would make sense right? Well sure for a developers point of view, but the stuff that sells well in some cases doesn't make the publisher look good in the eyes of gamers. So making the publisher look good is the bonus for devers with metacritic.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
Great Video,
& kudos Jim on the Father Ted plug!

'down with this sort of thing', 'careful now'
>.<

Thammuz

Nov 21, 2010
Roocifer said:
Telegram from Capt. E. Blackadder.

Dear Mr Chaplain. Stop. Have discovered only person in the world less funny than you. Stop. Name Jimquisition. Stop. Oh and one more thing, please please please. Stop.
For once, just once, i would love to see somebody who actually takes the time to rebut to some of the points instead of just focusing on the delivery as if that was important.

Because that's not the only problem you have, I hope.

Because if the case is that you just don't like his persona, I assure you, WE GOT IT. It's been nine videos (eight if you don't count the E3 video), he clearly isn't going to change it and the escapist clearly wants to keep him, so kindly shut your traps and start considering, i don't know, WATCHING SOMETHING ELSE. Something you like, preferrably, to spare another audience your FUCKING WHINING.

Nobody is going to stop liking him because you say so and the site isn't going to spiral down into obscurity because of one person you don't like. Especially considering that that one person is competent enough to be a reviews editor, which makes his opinion worth listening to, if anything to get an idea of what someone who works in that particular field might think about various issues.

And besides, it baffles me that a site that has Yahtzee weekly destroying pretty much every game he comes across, would have such a fucking sensitive fanbase. It's not a seniority thing because Jim has been doing this for a while too, and it's not the fact that Yahtzee's opinion is clearer because lots of people have trouble understanding whether he likes a game or not, so what's the fucking deal here? Why are two perfectly valid opinions presented in an unhortodox fashion being treated so differently?

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
I never looked at metacritic in my life. Too many haters and fanboys out there. I'd rather depend on non score based reviews.
Honestly, I don't like Jim, as a persona. Being aloft and acting like you are better than everybody is not creative, appealing or funny and wears out its novelty after 3 videos. You do have some valid points and discussion going on in your videos. Why degrade them with that side stuff that is not funny nor interesting.(IMO, remember that)
He can stay for all I care, but I don't think I'm going to watch more videos from him.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
skullduggery said:
Wow, I actually really liked this jimquisition. If you had cut the "After I die..." part, it would have been a phenomenal episode.
Remember that Jim acting like he's amazing is now a confirmed parody (as mentioned in his earlier episodes). Just like MovieBob being a "I'm a geek and I'm proud of it" is part of Bob's persona and Yantzee's "I'm really witty and can talk fast" is part of Ben's persona, Jim playing up the "I am great" is his *ahem* /unique/ way of selling his series.

I agree that it doesn't work, but he's far too into it now to set up a new persona and him presenting himself as unlikable makes it easier for him to play devil's advocate since it's clear he isn't here to please anyone.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I decided to pause the video and check out that thing written asking Jim to remove his review, and it seemed really rude. It seems to be saying "Hey, you're not a real reviewer, so you really shouldn't say you. That way you don't effect the magical score that's supposed to reflect reviewer's opinions. After all, bad reviews are bad for everyone." That's my take on it anyways. I will admit it's well written, with the main points bolded so they jump out. The thing about Yahtzee really gets me as well. Just because he doesn't give a worthless (well, not worthless, but really silly) number at the end of his rant makes his opinion any less valuable? Especially when so many people pay attention... Bleh, I suppose it doesn't matter. I just think that metacritic isn't the case in terms of the letter, just that that person seems to like making 'video game reviewers' out to be better then other people with less worthy opinions, and that Jim somehow isn't in that golden gate of reviewing.

Anyways, I enjoy these videos. Keep it up Jim.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Tough I certainly agree, was this worth an entire episode? First you made your point, then you made your point, then you boosted your ego a little (wich I liked) and then you made your point again.

Terminally Chill

Jun 21, 2011
Good stuff, Jim. Been a fan of your work on Dtoid for a while, so I'm personally glad to see your stuff here.

The concern with review scores in this industry, at least in the fanbases, is just absurd. In any unfortunate time that I've ventured into the Gamespot forums, I always seem to spot a few threads like "loolz [game title, likely misspelled] only got 8.5 it suczxx heaps!! HUGE FAEL" or what have you. In music publications giving five star ratings, a four star album is considered great, and a three star album is usually still worth checking out. But if a game gets an 8 or a 6, it's apparently a failure to a lot of people.

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
scores aren't all yow know... I thinck video game scores should go f*** right off... you can't just lock at a game that hase 5 stars out of 5 and say i will licke this game! it could be a tipe of game you sempley don't licke... so I say just pay atention to what the rest of the review is sayng and ignore the score!

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Roocifer said:
Telegram from Capt. E. Blackadder.

Dear Mr Chaplain. Stop. Have discovered only person in the world less funny than you. Stop. Name Jimquisition. Stop. Oh and one more thing, please please please. Stop.
My Lord, you made my day Sir, made my day!