Jimquisition: Metacritic Isn't the Problem

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
I find it interesting how people that have stated they do not like the show, keep watching the videos then come back and insult Jim once again.

Please Jim, don't ever change.

Ryan Lietzenmayer

May 10, 2011
He didn't once comment on how bonkers it is that people take the 8.5 to 9.5 scoring so seriously. He also didn't mention how silly it is to give something as rock solid, concrete, and standardized as the quality of a game a rating from 0 to 100.

That's the real problem, Jim. Not your strawman of publishers or the exaggeration of fanboys. It's how seriously people take these ratings, and how little value these ratings have in the first place.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
I enjoyed this episode moderately more than I enjoyed prior episodes. It felt more directed and organized. Attacking his critics will only last for so long though. I am also uncertain if there is room for two or three separate shows that give poignant commentary to gaming issues. I would rate Extra Credits, followed by Yahtzee, and finally Jim.

duck-man

Mar 17, 2009
Hm, does metacritic give the standard deviation? It'd help to distinguish between a score that says 'This game is about this good' to a score that says
'Some people will like it more than this, some will like it less than this' to a score that says
'People will love it or hate it'
Silly averages!

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
Jim you old duff! Lookit you reeling in new popularity! Too bad you still can't manage to stuff some of that over-the-top-bad-acting-narcicism up your cake hole a little more, then I'd actually call you a good source of information.

As it stands you're getting better, but the whole rubbing shit thrown at you back in your fans' faces is your only drawback, though of course you're making the trolls cheer for you, but who really wants to listen to all that grunting?

No but seriously, don't turn into MovieBob. We've got enough insufferable round nerds who enjoy wearing trench coats and pretending the world needs to revolve around them.

All that aside, nice to see you getting a point across.

Sean Deli

May 11, 2011
The OP-related text sounds solid, both in the idea and in the communication.
The presentation of the idea - well, I like the way your style is shaping, it might get very-very good. Keep looking for the proper balance between the content and the attitude padding. It's comming.

But the visual part of the show's style still needs some work. See
- Extra credit's and Yahtzee have custom-made slide-shows,
- MovieBob has 8 clip-art pictures + some extra artwork stolen from pop-culture icons
- Ready-Steady-Run are literally sketch comedy.

I don't know what would work best for your show, but pretty much anything would be better than what you have right now. Given the style of your show, you might want to look into something akin the propaganda shorts of Cold War era. I dunno, don't want to get into your business too much.

Keep up the good work.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I've always thought it was fairly ridiculous that people obsess over the aggregate score on Metacritic as if it was the be all and end all, while ignoring what makes that site so super awesome - it compiles an enormous list of reviews in one place.

Who gives a crap what the overall average winds up as, I cherish being veritably inundated with reviews without needing to bookmark or otherwise know about all the various websites that decide to review things - as a content aggregation service Metacritic is quite handy.

Numerical scores are mostly meaningless anyways - everyone isn't using the same scale to begin with, and human beings don't generally quantify their experiences by assigning numerical values to them; if I go on a vacation, I'm not going to tell my coworkers about it by saying "I give it 88 out of 100", no one actually does that. A higher/lower overall rating on Metacritic tells me squat all about how much better/worse any two games are than each other, or whether I'd even like the damn thing - the number by itself is not a meaningful system of comparison and information delivery.

Now if the same person gives two directly comparable titles vastly disparate scores that don't seem to reflect either prevailing opinion or, you know, reality, that's another matter entirely since there's context for that arbitrary numeric value, but the overall score on Metacritic isn't like that at all.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
You know what? It took me a long long time. But I finally give in. I like this show. Did I mention long time? because it was long.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Juuel said:
I love Jimquisition's arrogant style, people seem to be taking him too seriously. I don't get all the hate he's getting.
If you love his arrogant style then surely you can understand those at the other end of the spectrum who hate it? Why must those who don't love it be taking it too seriously?

Juuel

Jun 2, 2011
Crono1973 said:
If you love his arrogant style then surely you can understand those at the other end of the spectrum who hate it? Why must those who don't love it be taking it too seriously?
I don't expect everyone to like him, and yes, you're right, some people might not take him seriously and still not like him. I'm just saying that a lot of people seem to be expecting some kind of an artistic approach to video games. After his first episodes he got a lot of crap thrown at him apparently because people didn't quite know what kind of a show we were talking about. After a couple of episodes he wasn't as despised anymore.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
If anyone ever does see Jim at a convention or anything, I only ask you do one small thing. Break your hand against his smug, self satisfied face.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
Jim, your passion is strong and your reasoning is solid. This is why I fully support this episode, even though you've been perceived as an asshole from day one.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Zom-B said:
First of all, I'd like to point out that there's a difference between a "whiny minority" and a "minority group". Perhaps it wasn't your intention to equate the people who I was referring to- the whiny people who think Metacritic is bad or ruining something- to a minority group along ethnic or religious lines, for example.
OK, I understand where you're coming from. I've found that too often, some people have it the other way around.

Zom-B said:
It's about a vocal minority who think a tool that can be abused by it's user base is necessarily a bad thing.
The public user base certainly abuses Metacritic.
I'm inclined to agree with you and I think the internet has more disinformation than useful information when it comes to quasi-reviews. Boot up Metacritic, Amazon, or something similar and you'll find a battle-of-the-scores milieu between fanboys and detractors. Metacritic itself has become infamous for review bombing by people who need to get a life, and it has simply made it harder to tell a quality product from an inferior.

Having said that, I believe people generally lend more credence to the professional review outlets and publishers have hijacked this process. I personally think that is the bigger evil, rather than those review bombing buffoons in the online community.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
I don't understand how people can still keeping hating Jim when he has used a Father Ted picture on his video?

This guy is less popular than Bishop Brennan. In my mind it just proves wrong the whole notion of 'all publicity is good publicity' and 'the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about' is bullshit. Now I haven't seen the viewing figures so maybe this series is going swimmingly despite the negative comments, it certainly is going very well on the video quality side of things.

Anyway, people tend to form their opinions first, and then find evidence and twist the image of the world to form their own preconceived prejudices. So all those unfair threads saying how terrible Jim was prejudiced many viewers against his show. Now some people watch the series determined to find fault with it. I admit that before I watched his videos I felt a dislike for him, then I watched the offending videos and was baffled by how little credence there was to the hateful comments.

Jim's right again this week, not that I paid any attention to Metacritic before.

Thammuz

Nov 21, 2010
Treblaine said:
Ever consider that he may have a point but still be an unbearable bore?
Sure, that's why i suggest that if you find him unbearable you should just stop watching his videos instead of watching every single one and then ***** about the fact that, surprise, you didn't like it. Pattern recognition is a skill that most people have, let's use it, shall we?

Treblaine said:
That's why people tune in, for his insight but they have to suffer him recycling the same overwrought "jokes" over and over again.

He's like that drunk uncle at christmas who every half an hour tells the same inappropriate joke to the same group of people. It was somewhat amusing the first time but definitely not after that. We wonder if he is thick and forgot the joke h already told, or he is just arrogant enough to think we are all too thick to remember he told the same joke 30 minutes
Except this isn't a joke, it's a character. Characters have traits, Jim's character's are those of an insufferable magalomaniacal douchebag. If you have fun watching him act like a dick for the sake of it, like i do, that's no problem. If you don't like a character, guess what, don't watch his show. If you didn't like Yahtzee's character of a passive aggressive sarcstic jaded cynic would you sit there and complain every episode that his show sucks? I assume so because that's exactly what you're doing with Jim's.

Treblaine said:
My opinion: Jim Sterling should stay behind camera, behind the scenes as an editor. His attitude is sure to make life hell for the staff but he's likely to inject some liveliness into things. He's like J Jonah Jameson, he's a harsh motivator but not someone the audience would actually like to hear directly from except to see ridiculed.
Good for you. Now what? You do realize that your opinion has no bearing on Jim's presence on this site and that saying "he should be behind the camera" doesn't mean he's not goign to have the same exact persona in, say, an audio podcast or a written article, right?

To sum it up: I get it, you don't like his delivery. If you can ignore it and enjoy the content (which is the important part anyway) good, if not, stop watching his videos and for fuck's sake stop complaining about it. You're fighting windmills.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Thammuz said:
i suggest that if you find him unbearable you should just stop watching his videos instead of watching every single one and then ***** about

Except this isn't a joke, it's a character. Characters have traits, Jim's character's are those of an insufferable magalomaniacal douchebag. If you have fun watching him act like a dick for the sake of it, like i do, that's no problem. If you don't like a character, guess what, don't watch his show. If you didn't like Yahtzee's character of a passive aggressive sarcstic jaded cynic would you sit there and complain every episode that his show sucks? I assume so because that's exactly what you're doing with Jim's.

Good for you. Now what? You do realize that your opinion has no bearing on Jim's presence on this site and that saying "he should be behind the camera" doesn't mean he's not goign to have the same exact persona in, say, an audio podcast or a written article, right?

To sum it up: I get it, you don't like his delivery. If you can ignore it and enjoy the content (which is the important part anyway) good, if not, stop watching his videos and for fuck's sake stop complaining about it. You're fighting windmills.
If you don't like my opinion, get off this forum. I won't be watching his vids any more, I only watched a few giving him the benefit of the doubt that he had a bad start.

Oh, so you say his fascist act ISN'T a joke!? Even though Jim explicitly "claimed" that it is supposed to be a joke and used that as another opportunity to hurl belittling insults at his critics.

Ah, but you say don't like him for any humour but because he is "fun". Sounds like you like his fascist routine because it is fascist! Sure, you didn't "actually" say that, you'd never explicitly admit that - who ever would - but you've said as much already. You like him because he acts like a dick, not in an ironic but a truly vindictive sense.

Hey, we all like Dr Evil (the Austin Powers character) because his megalomania is ridiculous, Jim plays it straight and acts like it is a good thing. All Jim Sterling is doing is taking the most basic popular concept that people can't disagree with and using that as a platform to launch a tide of bile, contention and aggression.

HE has made one obvious point, one point many others have made as only a small part of a larger argument. Only he just uses this as an opportunity to make utterly baseless and condescending accusations of hypocrisy against us and casual insults as well. You really think it is a "serving from the truth kitchen" to say that publishers paying dividends based on metascore is the same as blaming video games for violent crime?!?! He doesn't explain how they are the same.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Ace IV said:
Metacritic removed The Escapist's negative review of Black Ops because the 2/5 score was only for the single player, and Metacritic only believes in black & white good or bad.
That sees pretty fair considering that Black Ops' single player was (with a few shining moments) absolute bilge. Really after the Russian Gulag you can quit right there.

BUT on the other hand, everyone knows that CoD series sell so well for their competitive multiplayer mode, so a review score that only considers the single player is not a helpful criticism to people looking to buy the game. After all, it IS one game, you can't buy multiplayer and single-player separately.

I have the same problem with Hideo Kojima asking that Metal-Gear-Online be reviewed separately to spite not sold separately. Oh, excuse me, would you like us to review the 14 hours of crappy cutscenes separately! Nope. One box, one price, one review.

Now, CoD4 had a really good single-player and story and it had to be to get that ground-swell of people owning the game so that there is a large online community. Valve did the same thing bundling TF2 in the orange box, people are wary of multiplayer only games.

But since COD4 built that market there single player doesn't have to be good, I think most people don't even play it. All the other modes like Zombies, Spec-ops and that arcade mode are filler, box ticking to lure a critic into saying "such great value" or "wow, 3 games in one".

If a game ever wants to take COD's crown it needs to hook people with an amazing single player then reel them in with Online Mode.