Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Sober Thal said:
newdarkcloud said:
Sober Thal said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Sober Thal said:
Fun fact. The artists and developers own 100% of their IP. They then decide to sell the rights away for money and more resources. Duh.
That's what happens when the rights-buyers have rigged the game in their favor before the artists create their art. Duh.
Creators have a choice to sign these contracts. Are we implying that these people who make games don't know how to read?
Publishers won't even look at a developer if the developer wants to keep the majority share of the rights to the IP. The only exception is when the developer has already become well known enough to have publishers compete for them.
What's wrong with that? Are publishers just supposed to gamble away money on possible crap product?
What, are consumers supposed to gamble their money away on possible crap and marketing hype? Because that's what we do with every release right now since we can't return it!

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
JMeganSnow said:
Bostur said:
Korten12 said:
... snip ...
But shouldn't there be the option to only allow some people to edit or expand on the works or none at all. For like, ever?
I don't think authors should have that power from beyond the grave. Art is for the living, not the dead. I think it's reasonable to try to make sure that the original author is credited for the original work. So for instance no one else than Tolkien can take credit for LOTR. I think it's also important to try preserve those original works of art so they can be compared to later interpretations and spinoffs.
But new artists needs to be able to renew these stories in a contemporary context. Maybe that results in a holo-deck version of LOTR where Boromir lives, thats the choice of the coming generations.
Authors should have some power from beyond the grave, but it should be *strictly limited in duration*. Otherwise, you'd have a problem where an author sells a novel or work of art, only to die a week later. It can't immediately go into public domain because then the person or persons who paid for the work have no chance to earn their deserved profits.

Now, I don't like the *current* time limitations. To me, they seem excessive. At *most*, it should be author's lifetime + 18 years, which is enough time for any of the author's minor children to reach adulthood. This should pertain even if the author retained no rights whatsoever to their work. Same expiration date. It doesn't necessarily even have to be that long--after all, IP creators can buy life insurance just like everybody else.

The principled thing to do, in my mind, would be to make the copyright last until the owner takes it out of production. If they want to keep printing new copies or maintaining the website where you can download it, they still own it. If the book is out of print or the video game servers are shut off, that seems like as good a time as any to have the copyright expire. It'd also make IP owners think long and hard about whether they're truly done with it before they shut down their site or whatever.

It'd also be a great thing to distinguish between copyright and trademark or brand. The copyright should expire. Maybe the trademark/brand should function differently. No, it SHOULD function differently, because it IS different.
In my mind, in this day and age of information sharing technology and know-how, copyrights should only be allowed something like 5 years (or some other short amount of time). You can "extend" this 5 years, by continuing to produce something from your original work for another "X" amount, up to a limit. And that limit should be low.

The point of this is for a creator to make something, make their buck off it, and then that content passes into public domain, so everyone can benefit from creating with it, and within their lifetime (mainly so they can draw upon their own experiences and learnings to create something). This way human society can grow and change with the times, rather than stagnate indefinitely...

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
Awesome. Between you, Yahtzee and MovieBob, I get more enjoyment (and thought-provoking entertainment) from The Escapist than from any other media outlet lately.

LITE992

Jun 18, 2011
Today on the news I saw on the bottom of the screen that a Canadian record label got pissed at someone for using their song in a marketing campaign. This supports Jim's views on copyright law.

mellemhund

Apr 1, 2009
Lord_Jaroh said:
The point of this is for a creator to make something, make their buck off it, and then that content passes into public domain, so everyone can benefit from creating with it, and within their lifetime (mainly so they can draw upon their own experiences and learnings to create something). This way human society can grow and change with the times, rather than stagnate indefinitely...
this. a thousand times

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
Commenting purely for the fact Jim used the coverart of the Nine Inch Nails album, The Slip.

Trent Reznor of NIN had a falling out with his record label over fans downloading songs that he himself had released freely during the ARG for the Year Zero album. After the album was released, he cut ties with Universal Music Group [and even went as far to tell fans at concerts to illegally download his music instead of giving UMG their money]

Since then he released NIN's last two albums for free download via the band's website under the Creative Commons license, as their own record label, The Null Corporation.

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
Major, major, MAJOR kudos for knowing Metal Arms and reporting it's demise. I'd always wondered why I never saw a sequel. You could see some of it's influence in Starcraft: Ghost before they post-poned it (look for some of the footage online, the marine's walking animation is really reminiscent of the droids walking for some reason, but I can't explain how exactly).

dbenoy

Jul 7, 2011
Caverat said:
Also, anyone who is okay with copyright infringement against big time publishers, but in anyway changes their tone when discussing indie developers is a ****. Period. (See what I did there?)
Good for you for being morally consistent like that :) It's difficult to be morally consistent and also be a copyright supporter like that.

There are lots of unpleasant implications to the notion that someone can control the property and actions of a peaceful person, just because he's inspired to recreate the works that originated from someone else.

Individuals propagating and reproducing the good parts of the world around them is how human society grows. We all give up a lot when that gets banned and punished.

You could say that it's fine to restrict people's ability to reproduce the ideas and expressions around them, so long as you don't go to far; so long as you pick and choose when it's okay and when it isn't. But you don't do that :) You're morally consistent. I like that.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
mellemhund said:
Well if McD serves bad food, you can get a refund. If a game is crap, it's just too bad. So it is only natural to test if the product is actually what is promised. How else would one know what publishers to avoid?
Why can't you get a refund on a game? It happens all the time.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
You know Jim, when you're not pretending to masturbate to yourself day and night (jesus, I hope you're pretending), you can make a damn good point.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
It's good to be critical and rebellious of big corporations, but always be cautious when rallying against them. Even though Jim didn't say so, I'm sure some viewers interpreted his message as 'make laws that restrain the publishers!' Well okay, I guess Jim kind of DID imply that the Copyright law needs to be changed.

Here's the thing, artists willingly sold their creative ideas to the publisher. If the company decides to take the creation away from the artist, they totally can if the contract they both agreed to allows that. Like imagine selling all your belongings to some guy, then complaining that he ran away with all of it.

Jim mentioned that artists can distribute their creations themselves nowadays, and that publishers are becoming less relevant. Yeah, that's pretty much the whole solution right there. If enough game designers stop selling their souls to EA and Activision, we'll be able to get by without the big companies. Actually, what will inevitably happen is that those companies will start treating their artists much better in order to compete, and then everything will be a million times better for everybody.

The solution is absolutely not to strangle the corporations down with laws. Likely, the first corporation that figures out how to slip past or even abuse the new law will be the corporation to take back the oppressive, destructive monopoly. But even if that didn't happen; it's so much better and so much easier to just let the free market work on its own.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Awesome episode.

Not only Jim's best episode, but one of the best things on this website, far better than the things that came out from "extra credits" if you remember that show.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Well, not to completely miss the message here (Which I got), but that was probably the MOST dildos I have ever seen in a single video...EVER.

obiwanchernobi

Jun 18, 2012
Sober Thal,

Your comments on this thread seem to indicate that you like to be punched in the nuts.
All this nonsense about how its the developers fault and yada yada. You seriously care that much for giant money-raking publishers and so little for the people that make the games you love?

You're like a wife who apologizes for being beat by her husband.

Look, I get that you're just looking at this from a logical, scientific, action-reaction stand point. Your logic is sound in many cases but sometimes empathy has to play a part in your decision. You're really not helping anyone by making these arguments.

sometimes facts don't matter. They really don't, because the world is made of people, not information.

Sure, the developers could have made a different decision about selling their rights away, but I guarantee they didn't think they would have their game would be ripped away from them in the blink of an eye.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Although I don't support piracy for the most part I have to agree. Can't criticize people from stealing from an already broken system.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Stemer said:
Hang on if anyone said this on the forums they would get banned faster than you could say "hypocrisy".

I completely agree with Jim though, and that was a great episode.
I know this is old but you said it man.