Jimquisition: Rape vs. Murder

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Schadrach said:
It depends, in many jurisdictions rape isn't something a woman can do without an instrument (because rape requires one to penetrate), and a woman forcing a man into sexual activity through force, the threat of force, or while unconscious, intoxicated, or otherwise unable to consent isn't counted as rape (it isn't by the FBI/CDC statistics, for example; with the CDC using "made to penetrate" to cover that case).
Then in my opinion this kind of jurisdiction is incredibly stupid.
Rape is forcing someone to sex, if the victim is the one penetrating, or the one being penetrated is not important.
It works this way in my country (Germany) and i think that's the way it should work.
It seems really really offinsive towards male rape victims to say "Well, technically you haven't been raped."

gunslinger_king

May 29, 2012
Amazingly eloquent and almost absurdly observant. This articulates pretty much the intangible wrongness of rape in the 'is it worse than killing in pop culture' debate.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
After thinking about this a bit more I just wanted to chip in another two pence.
Looking at the comments I couldn't help noticing a lot of people using words like 'monster' and 'evil', this is a mode of thinking that is incredibly dangers not just for rape issues but for any kind of behaviour detrimental to others.
I think we can all agree that monsters don't exist and I for one don't believe in either good nor evil, there are just people, sometimes they will do constructive things and sometimes they will do destructive things. The collective thinking that individuals where monsters or evil is what led us down the dark road of the witch hunts, it's what leads certain demographics to view others as unclean or inferior, or even some kind of threat.

I'm in no way suggesting that the actions of certain individuals (lets call them wankers) are in some way not as bad as they've been made out, but calling someone a monster dehumanises them and makes it less and less clear that if we slip up we could be just like them.

I hear this kind of thinking allot when people discus the media, the way that it 'manipulates the masses, but I'm aware of it so there is no chance of me ever being manipulated by it'.
The idea that some people just aren't right in the head and that's why they do these thing and I don't.
I'm rambling so I'll just say that we can all 'fall from grace' but that dosen't make use monsters, it means that the bullied hasn't realised when they have become the bully.

[Edit]: I just wanted to add that for those of you who are just insulting '5ilver', he wins by default because you have resorted to insults.
It dosen't sound like he is trying to be offensive, it sounds like he is making a point (if a little clumsy) about the double standard that if one negative thing isn't allowed then all should be regardless of severity.
Seriously guys, just shouting someone down because they don't agree with you is't helpful.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
DiMono said:
Aardvaarkman said:
[. . .] it's rather strange that you define rape as "forcing other adults to engage in sexual intercourse" - there's nothing about rape that requires the victim to "engage in sexual intercourse" - it's physical violence that is forced upon them - not something that requires engagement in anything sexual.
Actually, yes, rape is all about sexual intercourse. Rape is the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse. Forced sex is the tool by which the rapist asserts their dominance, which allows them to get off on imposing their will upon the victim. By definition, if there's no sex involved, it's not rape. [https://www.google.ca/search?q=definition+of+rape]
his problem is in the "engage in" part, not the sexual intercourse.

Also, Treblaine.See, here's the thing man.
Treblaine said:
I said this DISCUSSION was CONCERNING rape between adults, not the issue of whether an 18 year old having sex with a 17 year old is rape or not.
The discussion was concerning rape, period. Also, there are three people you rape in rapelay, one is 10 to my knowledge. Also, statuatory rape is totally irrelevent here.

And this is the biggest, stupidest miss-wording I have ever seen
By rape, it's clear Jim (and I) were talking about adults forcing other adults to engage in sexual intercourse. There is no grey area between that rape and sex.
The word adult only exists as a way to exclude children and was entirely irrelevant unless you're saying that the rape of a child doesn't count (whether it's by an adult or another child, a 17 year old raping an 18 year old would also be excluded but yea). The "forcing" part already excludes statutory rape, the "forcing " part removes all grey area. No, he's talking about people forcing other people to have sex, the "adult" part just excludes a whole bunch of instances and I have no reason to think Jim was excluding them

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Treblaine said:
But do you actually "murder" in video games?

Is rape worse than killing your opponent in combat? Murder is UNJUSTIFIED killing.
Have you played Fable, Hitman, Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls or Prototype? Those games definitely involve murder in them.

Rtoip

Jan 15, 2011
On the note completely unrelated to the whole which is worse discussion (I think debating something like this is stupid by the way):
Anyone knows what the game at around 3:20 is, also is it available on PC (suppose not, but asking can't hurt) ??

P.S. I just got an idea for a no right answer episode. (it's a joke by the way)

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Vegan_Doodler said:
The collective thinking that individuals where monsters or evil is what led us down the dark road of the witch hunts, it's what leads certain demographics to view others as unclean or inferior, or even some kind of threat.
No, what lead us to things like witch hunts are stereotypes used to oppress entire groups of people, not individuals and certainly not individuals who committed a crime.

Vegan_Doodler said:
I'm in no way suggesting that the actions of certain individuals (lets call them wankers) are in some way not as bad as they've been made out, but calling someone a monster dehumanises them and makes it less and less clear that if we slip up we could be just like them.
Wankers? "Oh, you raped and killed that girl? Gosh John, you're such a bloody wanker." Are you serious? You slip up and kill someone by mistake, you slip up and support a dictator or a demagogue, you don't slip up and rape someone. You have to be inhuman scum already to get to that point.

[Edit]: I just wanted to add that for those of you who are just insulting '5ilver', he wins by default because you have resorted to insults.
It dosen't sound like he is trying to be offensive, it sounds like he is making a point (if a little clumsy) about the double standard that if one negative thing isn't allowed then all should be regardless of severity.
Which is a completely moronic point to begin with. There is a reason we don't have the death penalty for parking violations. Comparing rape to a paper cut isn't a little clumsy, it's offensively retarded and he deserves to be shot down for that. He already lost, mainly the genetic lottery.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Metalrocks said:
this reminds of the book by michael crichton. he wrote a story about a woman molesting a man she was crazy about. even when the man refused her, she still sexually harassed him.
if i remember correctly, it was based on a true story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure_%28novel%29
You remember incorrectly. A primary portion of this novel uses a VR-style database which is in development. Disclosure is more about the tech industry than science fiction, sure, but it's not based on anything true.

Not to say that he doesn't do research for his novels, which he does.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Anaphyis said:
Vegan_Doodler said:
The collective thinking that individuals where monsters or evil is what led us down the dark road of the witch hunts, it's what leads certain demographics to view others as unclean or inferior, or even some kind of threat.
No, what lead us to things like witch hunts are stereotypes used to oppress entire groups of people, not individuals and certainly not individuals who committed a crime.
People accused of being witches weren't part of a particular demographic (besides female of-course).

Vegan_Doodler said:
Wankers? "Oh, you raped and killed that girl? Gosh John, you're such a bloody wanker." Are you serious? You slip up and kill someone by mistake, you slip up and support a dictator or a demagogue, you don't slip up and rape someone. You have to be inhuman scum already to get to that point.[/quote]
I use the term wanker to describe all the scum of the earth, like I said I am not trying to trivialise its just how I speak.

Which is a completely moronic point to begin with. There is a reason we don't have the death penalty for parking violations. Comparing rape to a paper cut isn't a little clumsy, it's offensively retarded and he deserves to be shot down for that. He already lost, mainly the genetic lottery.[/quote]
Well I don't think it's moronic and that it's something that should be taken into consideration more when thinking about the artistic future of games as whole.

Side note: this thread has been expectationally level headed considering the sensitive subject matter so I am not going to derail it or degrade it with a shouting match. If you want to have a discussion I'm up for that but I'm not going to respond to hostility.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
mike1921 said:
DiMono said:
Aardvaarkman said:
[. . .] it's rather strange that you define rape as "forcing other adults to engage in sexual intercourse" - there's nothing about rape that requires the victim to "engage in sexual intercourse" - it's physical violence that is forced upon them - not something that requires engagement in anything sexual.
Actually, yes, rape is all about sexual intercourse. Rape is the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse. Forced sex is the tool by which the rapist asserts their dominance, which allows them to get off on imposing their will upon the victim. By definition, if there's no sex involved, it's not rape. [https://www.google.ca/search?q=definition+of+rape]
his problem is in the "engage in" part, not the sexual intercourse.
See, I don't think that's the case. Because he specifically said "it's physical violence that is forced upon them - not something that requires engagement in anything sexual." If you were correct, then the point he would have argued would have been force vs "engage in", but instead he argued sex vs. not sex.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
macfluffers said:
Even without the serial killer aspect, a game about murder would still be interesting to me. A game about the mafia for example--destroying businesses who don't pay their protection money, human trafficking, threatening the families of rivals, and murdering prosecutors and judges. Such a game would be "edgy", but would it receive the same negative response that rape games do?
Hitman series has ALWAYS been a de-facto "murder simulator" even though obsensibly you are an "assassin" which is somehow more noble/cool a role. And you aren't killing innocent teenagers so much as drug dealers, crime lords and even pedophile politicians! Hitman series has always in rather hackneyed ways made the targets remarkably unlike-able or somehow deserving of killing them. Also the game hugely discourages killing ANYONE except the targets, which is weird because then the game suddenly turns from "Murder simulator" to an extremely non-violent game as you try every trick in the book to get the armed guards and police out of the way without harming them.

Treblaine said:
Look the most basic video game, Asteroids. You have polygons and you shoot pixels at other polygons. The Shapes are of course spaceship and the pixels are rockets, this is violence and it makes for a compelling and challenging game of shooting at people in form a competition. From Doom through to Quake to Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2, you set the precedent of shooting pixels at people and them shooting pixels at you in part of the competitive nature.

Rape is essentially hugely mismatched wrestling. Mismatched from the start destroys any competitive element and video games have never been good wrestling simulators. Far better at jumping and shooting simulators, direct polygon interaction falls apart. Replay isn't really a "game" as far as I can tell, it's a choose your own adventure story with live 3D animation. It's just ridiculous to have a scenario of two sides mutually trying to rape each other as if they both wanted to have sex with each other... then they would.
This is a good analysis of the situation. I guess the ultimate reason rape in media is received so poorly is that killing in games tend to be a sort of competition, while from the start, rape can only have one "winner" and "loser", if you'll pardon the terms.

That said, I like to think about Monster Girl Quest in this context, as well as other games were rape is the "penalty" for losing fights. Obviously, it's not really a penalty for the player (especially for MCG because the protagonist is a guy), but in these games, rapes can be prevented by winning fights, a more normal brand of violence. I don't know if I'm bringing up these examples for or against the depiction of rape in games, but it comes to mind.
Yeah, Monster Girl Quest doesn't have actual rape, he's only ever putting up mock resistance or dismay. It's the "bodice ripper" type scenario only with a submissive man instead.

But you're right, Rape could exist not in a player-vs-player scenario as if they both want to screw each other then they just would. But in an asymmetrical "survival scenario" such as a 'Deliverance' type scenario or rape being a motivation for the villains to hunt the protagonist and rape being of course the motivator to overcome them. Could work. Seems to be hinted at in the new Tomb Raider game though we should wait and see on that one.

The reason such a subject has not been seen in video games so much so far could be many fold:
-Protagonists in video games have usually been men, and I don't think the typical male gamer quite is mature enough to face the prospect of male rape... until perhaps recently. Though film has been able to tackle this maturely since the 1970's with Deliverance and that wasn't a one off, it is also addressed in Pulp Fiction and American History X.
(The closest this ever got in any game was Uncharted 2 where two male characters joke in subtle ways about what'll happen to them if thrown in a Turkish Prison)
-Video games for most of their existence have suffered from the wider media's impression that they have to be child suitable, so NO sexual violence ever. Only recently with many public battles like "Mass Effect Sideboob sex scene" has it finally been begrudgingly accepted by the media that games, like film, have adult themes for adult audiences.

But I think most importantly:
-I don't think players want to have to deal with their character suffering such a loss as to be sexually brutalised and humiliated like being raped. People can deal with dying and having to load from a save. But I don't think they can deal with something like... that.

For example are Mass Effect players ready to accept a scenario where Shepard might be captured and raped by perverts? That depends on what kind of attitude you take to the game, if most players approach the series as just a fun space adventure where they think their character can get through without any real suffering beyond some scars and bullet wounds, then that would UTTERLY shatter it. I don't think Mass Effect players are ready for even the threat of that happening, and how many of their beloved crew-members would they sacrifice to avoid their own character suffering that fate? Would they boycott the game demanding they change it? That, I don't know.

The closest equivalent scene in any game I can think of is the torture scene in Metal Gear Solid 3. It was awful, I had to watch Snake - the character I played - being slowly broken apart in front of me and be permanently damaged.

But it left in no doubt at all what kind of evil bastard Volgin was, and it emphasised all that snake (aka Big Boss) had lost to compelte his mission.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Because In most games the killings are often justified (even if its only within the logic of the game) rape however can't possibly be justified.
Rape is someone losing control over themselves as they lust after their victim. Its a personal thing for the attacker that can't be justified by society.
Its also a perversion of one of the most natural and beautiful things that two people can do.
Murder is forced death, because death is the natural evolution of life, it is easier to deal with.
Rape is forced sex, its a twisted form of what should be one of the greatest/most important moments in two people's lives.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Just make the rape game about Hermaprodites so there wont be any distintions about men and woman. Alternatively, make a the game about Lovecraftian Horrors raping each other, it will be so fucked up that there wont be anyone mentally sane to complain how many tentacles can enter in the..........thing throat?