Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
Theopenmindedgamer said:
Love it when japanese game companies assume that their games won't sell if they don't "westernize" them. It's such a silly way of thinking. Look at games like Okami, God hand, bayonetta, Yakuza, even Metal gear solid. Would any of these games be better if they would have been "westernize"? Of course not. For me, japanese devs always at a knack at coming up with batshit crazy awesome ideas and concepts. I mean ,look at the upcoming Metal gear rising and Soul sacrifice! Only japanese devs could come up with crazy stuff like that. It's what they do best! So my dear japanese devs, stick to what you do best. Please... i don't won't to see more games like R6 and Ninja gaiden 3...
What does "westernize" even mean, I live in the west. But how do you make something more "western", thats like trying to make something "eastern", it can't be done.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's far from my favorite game at this point, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. It's not a terrible mess. It's not broken or in-serviceable. I can't help but feel that everyone's expectations must have been sky high. It's not my favorite RE game, far from it.

I feel that there are too many QTE's. There hasn't been a bullet shortage in an RE game since RE3. I would have rather they had just stuck with the weapon upgrade system that became popularized in RE4 if they had to have an upgrade system. I enjoy the Melee combat in so far as it only makes sense that when an enemy is within reaching distance you strike him with your gun or your fists, or your feet rather than frantically try to shoot something you can more easily kick.

So far I have only played Leon's campaign and I am having a lot of fun with it. I feel the FOV is too narrow and you have no situation awareness so guys sneak up on me when they should not so easily be able to. I do think that Capcom tried to put too much into a single game, but I don't think it ruins it like everyone says it does.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Bvenged said:
I'd vote for Jim to be prime minister. Or for him to replace the royal family :D
I wonder if King Jim would have the sense to, well, knock some sense into Ottawa.

I wouldn't mind Sterling worship, but I do mind United Kingdom worship.

*goes to start the groundwork on his Jimothy shrine*

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
The thing that still boggles my mind is all the people who say Resi 6 isn't so bad, or *groan* actually good. I usually ask such a person why they think that and they perform the mental equivalent of averting their eyes and slowly walking out of the room, utterly and completely incapable of having any kind of defense rooted in logic, sense, sanity. It doesn't matter if you pre-ordred, paid in full, got a discount, were super hyped, not hyped at all. It doesn't matter if you own the game, don't own the game, plan on playing it, don't. Anyone, absolutely ANYONE who defends Resident Evil 6 hates games, they hate all that is good in the world, they hate everything that creative, talented people strive to realize in their work. RE6 is now the poster child for everything wrong in the AAA big budget game industry. Years from now when the dust has settled even the people who blindly defended it will be saying "yeah, that game was fucked".

I don't hate Re6's developers, I pity them, but I don't hate them, because they were just trying to do their best at what they had been TOLD to do, not by the people doing the actual work but by the fucktards in charge who like Jim said are nothing but quivering pathetic stupid desperate fools, so terrified of not having their money they'll make a game like RE6 happen in order to feel some degree of comfort.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I liked all the little Jim faces as the stars on the flag at the end XD

Jan 22, 2011

I'm just going to leave this here and what Jim said is true. The game has to make it's bottom line or it will sadly tank, I didn't despise re6 but it will be my last purchase for any game in the franchise unless they are remakes of older games.

jamesbrown said:
Theopenmindedgamer said:
Love it when japanese game companies assume that their games won't sell if they don't "westernize" them. It's such a silly way of thinking. Look at games like Okami, God hand, bayonetta, Yakuza, even Metal gear solid. Would any of these games be better if they would have been "westernize"? Of course not. For me, japanese devs always at a knack at coming up with batshit crazy awesome ideas and concepts. I mean ,look at the upcoming Metal gear rising and Soul sacrifice! Only japanese devs could come up with crazy stuff like that. It's what they do best! So my dear japanese devs, stick to what you do best. Please... i don't won't to see more games like R6 and Ninja gaiden 3...
What does "westernize" even mean, I live in the west. But how do you make something more "western", thats like trying to make something "eastern", it can't be done.
Hmm the best way to describe this is games that appeal to audience of said country. Jrpgs with grinding such as dragon quest 1-9 are huge block buster selling hits in japan despite the linear game-play, grinding, need for strategy books etc that sell millions in 7 days of said launch date. Keep in mind hose type of games sell okay here as well however there not the norm nor are they type that appeals to the mainstream market anymore. Right now fps/3rd party action games is what eastern gamer want based on sales such as cod, fallout etc and if they want to compete in the global market this is what they have to do.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I like milk so you would have my vote
This counts for jack though because I'm not American

The problem is that this fear of not making a return on their investment often causes the game to be absolute shite like the stated example. Devs who are still a bunch of retarded monkeys think we put all the things people love in their so it must not be successful because the genre has gone stale. So ends survival horror and only very infrequently is one made like is the case for action plat formers. I wonder whoever thought quick time events were fun?

Uberpig

Nov 20, 2009
I'm still kind of interested in buying it just because there are so few split-screen offline co-op games (I don't want to play a game online, I want to play it with someone in the same room).
And if Jim does go for president, his only campaign ad should be a video of him fucking that Sonic doll for five minutes.

Jan 22, 2011
I.Muir said:
I like milk so you would have my vote
This counts for jack though because I'm not American

The problem is that this fear of not making a return on their investment often causes the game to be absolute shite like the stated example. Devs who are still a bunch of retarded monkeys think we put all the things people love in their so it must not be successful because the genre has gone stale. So ends survival horror and only very infrequently is one made like is the case for action plat formers. I wonder whoever thought quick time events were fun?
those who are in partners with console makers such as Nintendo to make a profit... Hell I went through 3 controllers on my first play through of re4 due to those lovely qte's especially at the last moment on the wave rider.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
MonkeyPunch said:
What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...
Uh, what people? And what makes you think they are indeed one and the same? Besides, did you not see the shitstorm that erupted when Syndicate was revealed to be an FPS?

MiracleOfSound said:
And then it sold 4.5 million copies in the first week. Yep.
You mean shipped. Capcom still hasn't released their official sales numbers, but I don't doubt that it'll be high. The real interesting numbers will be the sales for the next few weeks and how bad that possible drop-off maybe. I can totally see RE6 going the route of DA2 and just peter out after week 2.

jimplunder

May 15, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
Being English I could be wrong but don't you have to have been born in the US to run for the Presidency?
Well, Gizmo, while that's technically true, once word of Jim's candidacy goes nationwide in the next presidential election, the Congress will run through a Constitutional amendment making an exemption to the "US-born" requirement specifically for Jim. Then after his first two terms, they'll amend the Constitution once again to eliminate the two-term limit placed on Presidents. Then Jim will then be named President-for-Life in a unanimous vote of Congress, the Electoral College, and the people, and then the real Jimquisition will begin.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
scorptatious said:
Sterling/Milk for presidency eh?

Better choice than the ones we have now in my opinion. :p

But yeah, I never really cared for Resident Evil. So this doesn't affect me at all. All I'm going to do is sit back, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the chaos this game has caused.
I'll bring beer and nachos; that cool?

captcha: by and large
My favorite one-stop shopping center! They made the WALL-E & EVE series of robots!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I just realized... Jim. Resident Evil. Milk.

Could it be a subtle implication that Capcom is "milking" the franchise? Between THREE games and TWO movies in ONE year, could Capcom be in a panic to milk every last drop out of the Resident Evil teet before savvy gamers catch on?

Captcha: Face the Music

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I really thought from that title he was gonna defend RE6. Well played Jim, well played.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
of course it sold well because its RE. hard core fans cant accept bad reviews or anything bad about there beloved RE franchise. it could have the worst graphics, gameplay, etc, and they still would like it because it has RE written on it.

i will not get it. i see more action then horror in it. RE5 was more a action packed fun game in a way but for sure nothing scary what so ever about it. at least it far more better to play then RE4. im talking about the pc version here.

well, right on there jim. today they are afraid to stick to the old roots because they are afraid they will lose customers and money. so why not add more action so it looks more exiting but ignore the horror that made the first 2 games good.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Baresark said:
So far I have only played Leon's campaign and I am having a lot of fun with it.
Trust me, once you play the other campaigns, you'll know why everyone hates this game, Leon's story is the best by far. I'll even put why here
Chris Redfields story: Zombies... with machine guns... just... no. Once you give a zombie (I know it isn't really a zombie but but they used to act pretty similar to them) a gun it ceases to be a zombie, and the game just becomes a bad Gears of War clone. It's not even like in the other games, where maybe a few have a rocket launcher, it's MOST of them that have guns, and use cover and all that nonsense