Jimquisition: Revivify The Cold Vitae

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
I completely agree, but the reasoning some games like MGS are not available to buy directly through the PS Vita is because of people finding a way to implement homebrew that require such specific games because of a vulnerability, and other such as licensing as you said. I absolutely love my Vita, and I also disagree with you saying games come in drips and drabs, there's tons of great vita games coming out now that some of the much larger Japaneese catalogue is finally getting localized.

Also, the memory cards are not a huge issue. If you can afford the Vita, you should be able to afford the memory cards. I don't see why people can complain about a lack of release and the memory cards at the same time. If you can't spend the money to buy one of their memory cards, what makes you think you're going to buy a much larger sequence of game releases? The 16GB memory card is only $40 on Amazon (My 16Gb Flash drive was just about as expensive, barring discounts), and that's the price of one new Vita game. And that thing will hold 4+. If money for memory cards are an issue, you probably aren't going to be buying the games if it had SD memory.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
You know, I'd swear I remember reading something about the memory card prices where basically it was due to retail stores refusing to stock the Vita unless they *were* expensive, since everyone would just buy their games off PSN instead of buying physical copies. Seeing how petty retail stores can be... I can totally see that happening.

And I was under the impression that the whole "courting developers" thing *is* happening, since devs are actually interested in putting games out on the thing due to the Vita's insanely high attach rate in comparison to other consoles.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
wow i wish i had known about this ahead of time right now my psvita is a mobile final fantasy/mp3 player

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lillowh said:
The 16GB memory card is only $40 on Amazon (My 16Gb Flash drive was just about as expensive, barring discounts)
I paid 30 for a 64 GB SD card. If you paid 40 bucks for a 16 GB flash drive any time recently, you got ripped. But in terms of the cost vs the card? Yeah, that's kind of an issue. And honestly, it's not necessarily about what someone "can" afford. Quite often, it's about what they will pay. When someone overvalues their product, people balk. When your storage is as much as another whole game, people will balk. They also have pretty poor read/write speeds, so people will balk. Sorry.

On a related note, I could also afford the Xbox 360 HDDs, but it didn't make them ridiculously overpriced and underperforming. Nor did the fact that they held multiple games make them less so.

PMAvers said:
You know, I'd swear I remember reading something about the memory card prices where basically it was due to retail stores refusing to stock the Vita unless they *were* expensive, since everyone would just buy their games off PSN instead of buying physical copies. Seeing how petty retail stores can be... I can totally see that happening.
That makes little sense, unless retailers also cut a deal. I've been told the markup on the suckers is low at Wal-Mart, so unless other retailers are getting a special deal, it seems like Sony is the one getting the cash.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Lillowh said:
I completely agree, but the reasoning some games like MGS are not available to buy directly through the PS Vita is because of people finding a way to implement homebrew that require such specific games because of a vulnerability, and other such as licensing as you said. I absolutely love my Vita, and I also disagree with you saying games come in drips and drabs, there's tons of great vita games coming out now that some of the much larger Japaneese catalogue is finally getting localized.

Also, the memory cards are not a huge issue. If you can afford the Vita, you should be able to afford the memory cards. I don't see why people can complain about a lack of release and the memory cards at the same time. If you can't spend the money to buy one of their memory cards, what makes you think you're going to buy a much larger sequence of game releases? The 16GB memory card is only $40 on Amazon (My 16Gb Flash drive was just about as expensive, barring discounts), and that's the price of one new Vita game. And that thing will hold 4+. If money for memory cards are an issue, you probably aren't going to be buying the games if it had SD memory.
So, how many hours of play does that memory card give[footnote]Of course, granted 0 games, but that kills the joke![/footnote]?

Kidding aside, I agree; it's not a huge issue. Some disposable income discipline and goal setting, and even 32GB memory cards wouldn't be too much of an issue. While we're at it, some money discipline would resolve the complaints of just anyone griping about exclusives on consoles they don't own.

But as far as anecdotal evidence, I've upgraded memory once before; if I wanted a 32GB next, that would be $125 in memory. All in hindsight, but those are numbers that hurt; hurt enough to not want to reach it.

Just because I should be able to afford them, or even eventually afford them, memory, as far as its use for a system to play games, is tertiary; I should have no reason to never think about their cost, just as much as I'd never have to think about the cost of a good game.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Aku Aku, Crash Bandicoot. Old memories. Sony almost got me to buy a PS Vita but I'm glad they "fixed" that.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I think Jim nailed it in an earlier vid when he said that Sony is basically begging for piracy. It's such a pity that they still haven't learned their lessons.
I think it goes back to what Moviebob said in his Game Overthinker V39 "The Emperor Has No Clothes"--thanks to Nintendo and Saga majorly dropping the ball in the early 1990s Sony became a major player in the game company market without really understanding what they were doing. They were the man with one eye in a kingdom of the blind but the blindness didn't last and now it has been a case of watch Nintendo and Microsoft do a much better job of selling their consoles.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
PMAvers said:
IMHO that would be considered price fixing...something Apple just into major trouble with the DOJ with regarding the ebook market.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
You know what would also help the vita? Actual marketing. I'm a gaming enthusiast and it wasnt until earlier this year that i even knew the vita was a new console. I just thought it was a different PSP model like a slim or an XL, not a different machine.

I do think Sony has really dropped the ball with the Vita and while its not impossible to come back from it, i dont see it becoming a dominant force. I mean it doesnt help when your competition is a Nintendo Handheld console but seriously they could have invested some time into getting a classic game library (ironically something Nintendo is refusing to do with the 3ds.)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Basically, I just want to know why they fixed it. The only reason I can think of at the moment is that they're afraid of people getting pissed when they end up downloading games that weren't optimized for the Vita.
I'm seriously hoping they'll consider re-releasing all of them in a format that makes it easy to tell which games will and won't work properly, but that feels like a fool's hope there.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
You know, it pissed me off that when Sony first announced the vita they announced a plan to have you trade in old UMDs from the PSP to be a digital copy so you can play it on your Vita or PSP. Instead they removed that and made it Japan only, telling us to "buy it again on the PSN store" basically. That pissed me off so much.

I really don't get why Sony isn't investing more into the PS Vita either.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I really do want to justify buying a PS Vita - it seems to have a great library of niche games, in particular where RPGs and jRPGs are concerned. However, my current bank balance will not let to buy one. I'm hoping I get a decent sized tax rebate this year, because if so that's what I will spend it on.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Vicioussama said:
You know, it pissed me off that when Sony first announced the vita they announced a plan to have you trade in old UMDs from the PSP to be a digital copy so you can play it on your Vita or PSP. Instead they removed that and made it Japan only, telling us to "buy it again on the PSN store" basically. That pissed me off so much.

I really don't get why Sony isn't investing more into the PS Vita either.
You know I wondered about that. I remember putting off a Vita purchase when a clerk in my favourite game store told me this was in the plans. Seems like a completely shitty thing to do, but then why court us dirty foreigners with our dirty foreign money? Not like there's any money to be made in the long run.. oh wait.

By the by, I came back from Japan a couple of weeks ago. You wouldn't believe the amount of games unreleased outside of Japan, PSP and PS Vita. Granted, a lot of them were dating sims and/or visual novels, but I'd love to play those as well. In the end I picked up 3 Japan-exclusive titles of which two are fucking Tales games. You can't tell me those wouldn't sell outside of Nihon-hoku!

And all the other games I never even knew existed but would give a proverbial left nut to play. I almost burst out in tears in the store.

Seriously, Sony. Get a fucking clue.

hydrolythe

Oct 22, 2013
themilo504 said:
I think that the reason Sony is largely ignoring the vita, is because they think that the rise of mobile gaming is going to kill handhelds.
I guess so. I remembered a post in which the CEO of Sony, Shueshei Yoshida, said that they will put all their games on smartphones and tablets after the discontinuation of the PS4. Just think a little about that.

hydrolythe

Oct 22, 2013
maximara said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I think Jim nailed it in an earlier vid when he said that Sony is basically begging for piracy. It's such a pity that they still haven't learned their lessons.
I think it goes back to what Moviebob said in his Game Overthinker V39 "The Emperor Has No Clothes"--thanks to Nintendo and Saga majorly dropping the ball in the early 1990s Sony became a major player in the game company market without really understanding what they were doing. They were the man with one eye in a kingdom of the blind but the blindness didn't last and now it has been a case of watch Nintendo and Microsoft do a much better job of selling their consoles.
I don't agree with this statement. I think its bullshit since Sony was already making video games long before anyone thought that they would make a console. Granted, most of the time their games were crappy, but it would rather be idiotic on Sony's part if they did not use their time and energy to understand nintendo's policies.