Jimquisition: Revivify The Cold Vitae

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Revivify The Cold Vitae

It is time we had a little chat about the PlayStation Vita. The headline is an Old World of Darkness reference. I have geek cred.

Watch Video

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Hell, even my cellphone can play Crash Bandicoot (it's an Xperia Play, the game came pre-installed)

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Talking about Sony and Crash Bandicoot, why did they toss him in a ditch? Sure Wrath of Cortex wasn't the best, but why abandon him?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Hutzpah Chicken said:
Talking about Sony and Crash Bandicoot, why did they toss him in a ditch? Sure Wrath of Cortex wasn't the best, but why abandon him?
They never owned him. Crash was Universal's property. Universal was sold to Vivendi, which was sold to Activision, the current owners who are doing fucking nothing with him.

OT: I seriously hope someone important at Sony watches this. It's perfect.
You're really a lucky bastard if you actually managed to get Crash on your Vita. I was a day late to exploit the "glitch".

Also this pissed me off a bit:

He tweets this and then never acknowledges that it's actually playable on Vita after it was "fixed".

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I think Jim nailed it in an earlier vid when he said that Sony is basically begging for piracy. It's such a pity that they still haven't learned their lessons.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Glad someone here mentioned this. Sony seems to sabotage this thing pretty badly. Other than what you said, Content manager's less than stellar. They only recently upped the limit on apps on the front to more than 100 (perhaps because 20 are now mandatory and can't be removed), and that doesn't cover old things that have been fixed like adding folders, and not having you apps rearange when you swap memory cards.

I love my vita to pieces, but boy Sony doesn't make that easy. Hell, they lost a few overpriced memory card sales from me by "fixing" that library glitch, but all the software I'd planned to buy to add to my vita. Good job Sony. You must have my money.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Under_your_bed said:
Any chance of a gif of those last 5 seconds or so where Jim enters full Sassy-Black-woman mode?
I swear he does these purely for the gifs that come out of it.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
This also doesn't just apply to Sony though. Nintendo is also quite guilty of this right now. The Wii U's VC updates each week have become a complete and utter joke to the point where people kept saying "This weeks VC update: Not SMB3" for a while. And, looking at the what Japan has in their VC library, people are wondering what's going on. Granted, it has gotten a bit better as of late, but there should be no excuse of this.

Along with releasing content universally, there's also the problem with the announcement of the latest Fatal Frame leaving people wondering if NoA will localize it or just leave it be.

mada7

May 14, 2009
It really is a shame. I just got the Vita a few weeks ago to play persona 4 golden (this happened a little before they announced persona 4 will be available on psn) and Im amazed at just how beautiful things look on it and Ive been trying to find more stuff for it because it really is a useful machine but Im not finding much. It's a really impressive piece of tech but it needs more software to really take off

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
I should be getting a Vita for my birthday this week. This harshed my buzz a little, not gonna lie.

Seriously, you can't even get Spyro on it?

CaptainBill22

Nov 18, 2009
Come on Sony, I'd love to own one of your consoles again but you have to pull it together. Even the Nintendo 3DS uses regular SD cards. There is no reason to use a proprietary card for the Vita.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
You forgot to mention Depths of Fear: Knossos on that list of games that should be on the PSVita. Dat level complete song.

But yeah, I'm thinking whether I should get a PSVita or a Wii U, I'm leaning more to the PSVita side, but both of them need more love and care from the companies that created them. I hope Sony makes and effort to enchance the Vita and don't just go "Oh well, we fucked up, so let's just leave it like that and focus on the PS4".

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
I was seriously getting convinced that I should buy a Vita during the few seconds between being told that a bunch of PS1 titles were released for free and being told that the "bug" has been fixed.

I guess I should have recognised that that was too good to be true.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I skipped quite a few handheld generations, my last being a Gameboy Advance. But, I did buy a Vita and I love the crap out of the thing.

Except for the price of those memory cards. Those things were purely designed for greed.

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
A large part of the reason I got a Vita was to develop games on (for which Unity is now an option and that's hella sweet) but I feel like there's a lot of unused potential to it.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
I love my PS Vita and do not regret buying it, but I agree wholeheartedly with the criticism that its game library and apps library do not live up to the hand-held console's potential. With all the flood of stuff that is available on iOS and Google Play, and mobile titles hitting Steam now, why can't they also exist for a system that is actually made for gaming?

And it should not just stop at PS One and PSP Games. The Vita is powerful enough to run PS2 Games! Give me Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 in the palm of my hands!

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I bought Vita in January because I had too much disposable income and I REALLY wanted to play Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa. I thoroughly expected it to gather dust after that, but to my surprise, I actually fell in love with it. It's a great piece of hardware, and I was pleasantly surprised with some other titles on it (Tearaway retroactively got my personal 2013 GOTY award, just a lovely game).

That being said, I agree with you 100% on this one, Jim. When I noticed the PS One and PSP titles in the store I almost pissed myself from happiness, only to be let down just a few hours later. I really do hope Sony will pull their shit together at some point, because, when fully working, it could become one of the best consoles ever (not just portable). Here's hoping someone in Sony higher ups actually watch this show and takes notes. Probably not, but a man can dream...

Apr 28, 2008
Wait, hold up, there was a moment where I could get PS1 Crash and Spyro on my Vita? And I can't now because they "fixed" the glitch? Dammit. Fucking DAMMIT. DAMMIT! Sony, I want those games on the Vita. I will gladly pay real people money for these games. I'll go through your whack-ass system that doesn't allow me, a 22 year old man with my own money to buy stuff with my own debit card because I'm a sub account, and you don't give any way for master accounts to let sub accounts buy whatever/whenever because I guess you didn't take into account people grow up as time goes on in order to play these games on my Vita. Also Legend of Dragoon.

Just... god dammit, Sony.