Jimquisition: SimShitty

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
SimShitty

DRM is back again, and it's here to stay! Games are a service, so we're told, but who do they really serve?

Watch Video

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I was waiting for Jim to rip into this:)

Hopefully it gets a shittier rep than Aliens: CM.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Or you don't have to buy the game at all. If you wait a few weeks and still buy it they'll still get the money and no lesson will have been learned.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Scumbag EA:

Says always online is needed to play the game due to calculations being done on servers.

Calculations for city building are done client side. [http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19yoxk/simcity5_does_not_have_to_be_online/]

I'm glad I didn't get it.

*installs Sim City 3000 Unlimited and Sim City 4*

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
"Like cornered dogs, we will turn and bite the hand that feeds but does not care."
-Mark Salomon

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Honestly, i don't REALLY want to see it happen, but this industry really does need another crash. Cleansing the world of the bigger most poisonous companies like EA.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I don't even buy games from EA, and I'm hoping that they will get what they deserve one day soon. They're probably the company that deserves losing customers the most. I liked Sim City 4, but I will never buy this game. Also, the always online does make it harder to pirate. I think it took quite some time before they managed to make a working version of Diablo 3, at least more than it usually takes.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
I dislike Facebook comments. :(

I don't even see why they even needed servers. It could have been handled better with p2p connections.
You have a lot of good points and I hope they're embraced by the industry this year.

I also hope that I will wake up with a hangover next to Ryan Gosling.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
A decent tech discussion here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19yoxk/simcity5_does_not_have_to_be_online/

and here

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19xx7d/trying_some_technical_analysis_of_the_server/

Jim delivered a good treatment of the complete fiasco, which will not be the last splash in the fecis pool of bad DRM. Quite temperate compared to some, and to a very good point I shall keep in mind.

Man, could I go for a Humble Bundle now. I'm certainly not getting a SimBurger.

Jan 27, 2011
You know what's the worst thing? When this game sells poorly or is pirated to hell and back, EA will blame Maxis and say it's because simcity isn't a viable property anymore and stick it in the vault forever.

And then EA will wash it's hands of the whole thing, and not learn a damn thing until the industry blows up, and then whines that it was all the consumer's fault.

Kyyshrrk

Jul 23, 2012
After seeing and reading about agent issues (mostly fire and garbage truck, bus and police car conga lines) as reported in: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19uev9/does_this_game_even_have_ai/

I've come to the conclusion that the glassbox engine was known to be fundamentally broken by the developers. As the significant rewriting required to make it work properly would consume more development resources (specifically time, have to meet that release date) than EA was likely willing to grant, every effort was put into refining the game and it's launch in such a way as to draw attention away from the fact that game simply doesn't work as a city simulator for any realistic definition of the term city.

The small city size limits the extent to which it can manifest. The region system and the online only components allow the server to be an unknowable entity that the player can attribute problems to. The closed beta limited the time of a session such that the problem likely wouldn't be seen. The press beta was not likely to include the critical number of "efficiency freaks" needed to positively confirm it's existence. And the release shit-storms have all served to obfuscate fundamental issues with gameplay.

Chiefly though, I'd site the willingness of of EA to give a "free game" away to people who purchased it (or will purchase it, given it's an offer for anyone who purchases it until the 18?!?) as a means to hopefully keep the DLC revenue stream open.

I'd love to chalk this up to humorous incompetence on EA's part, but everything here seems to be too market savvy for me to accept it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I've been watching the old House of Cards series too Jim :) Wasn't expecting that. Though I would love to see a remake starring Jim Sterling :D

OT: I'd hope companies would learn their lesson about always online DRM because of this, but the mess with Diablo III and Ubisoft games didn't help so it's a fool's hope.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Airon said:
Man, could I go for a Humble Bundle now. I'm certainly not getting a SimBurger.
Not sure if you're aware of it, but just in case, they're doing Android #5 right now [https://www.humblebundle.com/].

Seriously though, if you want to play a decent SimCity today, you could do worse than buy 2000 off of GOG.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
l3o2828 said:
Honestly, i don't REALLY want to see it happen, but this industry really does need another crash. Cleansing the world of the bigger most poisonous companies like EA.
I see one on the horizon. Microsoft isn't doing hot in PC sales or tablet sales, if the announcement of the next Xbox goes over as well as the PS4 announcement, we just may see that industry crash. Indie developers (meaning any developer that doesn't work under a publisher, not just traditional indie developers) will be left standing, and they will hopefully be able to push the market in a better direction. I believe this next console cycle will be the deciding factor. I for one am leaning towards building a new PC, because I am not impressed with what I have seen.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
EA's logic is kind of backwards. If they were really afraid of us, you'd think they'd be doing everything they could to appease us.