Jimquisition: Sony's Begging For Piracy

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Sony's Begging For Piracy

To combat piracy, your mission is clear -- provide a better service than pirates.

Watch Video

contla

Jan 17, 2012
It upsets me that a company that once ruled the market now makes such childish mistakes.And for no good reason they have proven that they can do it right .PS+ is a good service that gives a reason to give them money, yet they still get it wrong with a new product.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
To put it simply, Sony needs to start firing the people in charge of user experience and such. They're either the ***** of the people in charge of combating piracy (who also deserve to get sacked) or the higher ups who want people to jump through a bunch of hoops so their satisfied that they've gotten your money.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I loved the PS2, they did a great job with that. The PSP sucked, bored me to death and i sold that 4 months after i bought it. But they seem to be getting worse and worse as a company. As jim said, make something awesome and we will buy it......except that Sony thinks we should be lucky we get whatever crap they bring out. The whole "something is better than nothing" mentality. Same with the PS3, they brought it out for £500 (i think) and just expected people to buy it regardless of cost and the crappy game line up. Maybe they have become complacent as a company?

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
AC10 said:
Well, I guess I'll hold off getting a Vita for now.
It's not a bad device and the library of games isn't bad, the biggest problem is the frequency of releases unfortunately.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Here is the thing, there is not a single Vita game I want, and to be quite honest there probably never will be. I am however a HUGE fan of the PS1 and it's library of games, and watching the first half of this video enraged me... Good job Sony, had you given the USA the same consideration you gave the rest of the world, I would have bought your handheld and used it as a portable PS1. But apparently you don't even want me to do that. Well, **** you! I am glad I bought a 3DS XL instead. I don't even care that I already had a 3DS, that's how crappy your product is.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It's sad that fear of piracy practically kills a lot of the usability most of us hoped for in these systems. You can't copy installed PSone games and minis to a PSP anymore either, which, since the ideal is to be able to play on the big screen then take the game with you, it'd be nice to be able to do so without prior planning and extra memory cards. I've heard that sony's fee structure for hosting digital content is based on bandwitdh used, so I hope this isn't a cash grab.

I understand the need for some hoops to jump through, but it's put me off a lot of digital buying. Just the fact I can't save PS3 games to something external kills my interest as I don't see my game collection as disposable, and don't want to re-download 6 gigs of something if I get the urge to replay it. I might have bought a vita just on the promise of ditching my UMDs, but no passport feature. I won't let my 3DS off the hook either as it ties digital content to that exact 3DS so content is lost if it's damaged beyond repair (a great idea for something that's meant to leave the safety of the home). And the both really need to work on content and pricing.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I might buy the Vita, only for the PS1 games and that mainly depends if the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games are on it

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I really wish the Vita was worth owning -_- It looks so good on paper, but so shit in reality because of how it all works.

Get your shit together Sony, you're letting gamers everywhere down.

You made the PS2 for fucks sake.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kitsune Hunter said:
I might buy the Vita, only for the PS1 games and that mainly depends if the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games are on it
Crash 1-3 are on PSN, Spyro is not, at least not in the EU, some certification bullshit.

Reminds me: SONY Y NO PSN CASTLEVANIA:SotN IN EU!?

¬_¬ 4. fucking. years. after. the US.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Sony is not alone in this market, Ubisoft has been paving the way in screwing the legit paying player in a bid to protect their IP at all cost even when it goes way beyond ruining the experience of the player.

The issue is not that they are trying to protect their Ips it is the fact that they are not the only ones who do this, it's just that other companies manage to place secure anti copy protection systems on their IPs but do it without making the customer jump through hoops to then use their software.

With MS taking a real push at cross platform integration (XBox games on PC with Win 8) with their own cloud service in the next generation Sony has to get it's head out of it's backside and step up other wise they will lose customers simply because they won't be willing to put up with the nonsense.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Didn't we already talk about this? Maybe we need to say it again in order for it to sink in.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yes! This is the crap that is killing my love of Sony. Why? Why do they keep doing these dumb things?! Do they even work?!

Thank God for Tomba!, and thank Tomba! for you Jim.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
SonOfVoorhees said:
I loved the PS2, they did a great job with that. The PSP sucked, bored me to death and i sold that 4 months after i bought it. But they seem to be getting worse and worse as a company. As jim said, make something awesome and we will buy it......except that Sony thinks we should be lucky we get whatever crap they bring out. The whole "something is better than nothing" mentality. Same with the PS3, they brought it out for £500 (i think) and just expected people to buy it regardless of cost and the crappy game line up. Maybe they have become complacent as a company?
This is the reason why, in the U.S. at least, monopolies are supposed to be illegal. However, due to copyright and patent law nobody but Sony is able to produce and distribute the PS3, Vita and it's games, which is a monopoly, but I never hear anybody being arrested for it.

The reason that Sony and companies like it provides such crappy service is because they know that the only way you can legally obtain the games and systems they copyrighted is to get it through their authorized distribution channels, so they know that they can screw their customers as much as they want, charge ridiculously high prices, and have godawful service and the only option that their customers have if they still want their products is to just shut up and deal with it.

This is why piracy is actually a GOOD thing, they help stop the competitive chokehold that Sony and other similar companies have on the industry, which is more or less what Jim was saying. Whether you actually support piracy or not nobody could argue this point.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
It's pretty bad when Nintendo is more consumer friendly and has more easily accessible content. Nintendo.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Call we crazy, but I think there's been already enough talk about piracy and the way company policies cause piracy in Jimquisition. I didn't find anything "new" in this episode.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Jim plays Grandia?!?! Respect +abunch.

One of the main reasons I bought my PS3 was for the older games on the PSN, many of them RPGs. I've never considered getting the Vita simply because of the lack of games I liked on it. It's a nice device, but the only games I play nowadays on a handheld device are Pokemon.

And yes, Toomba is a hell of a game. Hope you enjoy it like I did, Jim!