Jimquisition: Sony's Begging For Piracy

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Another good question is where the hell are the PS2 Classics? I understand that they want to package them together on disc in "HD collections" to mark them up, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to release an emulated version of the ROM at virtually no cost individually at a higher price than it would be on disc? Hell, I'd buy Silent Hill 2 right this second if I could get the original retail release for download, rather than the shoddy HD port. Throw 3 and 4 on there while you're at it. I know that's probably in Konami's court, but still. It would be easy.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Jim. We in Eastern Europe has it way, way worse. Sony just shit all over PAL territories in general. Come to think about it, a lot of my PS3 and Vita games are imported US or Asian versions, because EU version is either censored or does not exist.
I really don't like the idea of piracy. When I hate some company too much I just don't buy or use their products at all (Microsoft)... But really when I think about it it's obnoxious that I have to import PS Vita games from another country because SCEE just don't give a shit. Digital downloads my ass!
Sony must merge SCEE, SCEA and all other departments. This really is the only way.

Oh and let's not forget the region locked DLC. Service problem? The only way one can get DLC for Asian games that never came out in EU is either format your vita to play them, create a fake account in Asian country and add funds to it or wait till somebody crack the vita and pirate the DLC.

P.S. I may normally be considered a Sony fanboy but I agree with Jim completely and also must add that all employees of SCEE deserve to feed on feces in Hell for eternity.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
It's frankly baffling how many idiotic mistakes Sony has been making. As someone who only owns Nintendo and Sony systems, I must say I'm envious of Microsoft fans- the House of Gates isn't immune to being a big dumb corporation, lord no, but it has its sh*t together.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
This is the reason why, in the U.S. at least, monopolies are supposed to be illegal. However, due to copyright and patent law nobody but Sony is able to produce and distribute the PS3, Vita and it's games, which is a monopoly, but I never hear anybody being arrested for it.
That's not what "monopoly" means...

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
That was one epic intro there. Absolutely brilliant!
There were some classy PS1 games back in the day, I surprised they haven't just ported the who library - they're only a gig or so each.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Sony could take a lesson from Valve with Steam. I know the rules of the site, but lets just say that when I was a poor, unemployed teenager I used to acquire the few comp games (namely an RTS here or there) in less than legal ways. Now that I've pretty much converted to the Church of Steam, it is literally not worth my time to pirate a game and play around trying to get it to work, than to dish out a few bucks, get the game nicely integrated into my library with achievements and constant updates. There is a reason why my PS3 has been essentially off for a year now, and is only occasionally turned on to play a DVD.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Azuaron said:
immortalfrieza said:
This is the reason why, in the U.S. at least, monopolies are supposed to be illegal. However, due to copyright and patent law nobody but Sony is able to produce and distribute the PS3, Vita and it's games, which is a monopoly, but I never hear anybody being arrested for it.
Copied from Dictionary.com

mo·nop·o·ly
   [muh-nop-uh-lee]

noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.

an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.

the exclusive possession or control of something.

something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.

a company or group that has such control.

Which is what I said, maybe not in those exact words but I did say it. So yes, Sony and similar companies are in fact monopolies because nobody else is allowed to produce and distribute any system or game that they created and still possess the rights and patents to.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
I'm sorry, what? A company gets to control how their own products are made and sold? This is also somehow wrong?

Jan 22, 2011
UdderedAvenger said:
zelda2fanboy said:
It's pretty bad when Nintendo is more consumer friendly and has more easily accessible content. Nintendo.
Nintendo have their own amount of BS too, tbh.

On topic: I don't get why the US got only 9 PS1 titles or so, it doesn't make any sense, but at least they are rolling more out as we go on.

why do you think post people have a modded wii or psp?? They know that Sony or Nintendo can not deliver on their promises so we turn to methods that are convenient in our favor.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Hell yeah, Tomba!

I sure hope Sony can get its shit together, they've been letting me down for quite a few years now.
Then again, Nintendo has been doing that to me since the N64 (and Microsoft has been doing that to me forever).

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Hmmm, slightly off topic but was Tomba on one of the PS1 demo discs? If so I may have just found an excuse to get a PSVita..

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Azuaron said:
immortalfrieza said:
Copied from Dictionary.com

mo·nop·o·ly
   [muh-nop-uh-lee]

noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.

an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.

the exclusive possession or control of something.

something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.

a company or group that has such control.

Which is what I said, maybe not in those exact words but I did say it. So yes, Sony and similar companies are in fact monopolies because nobody else is allowed to produce and distribute any system or game that they created and still possess the rights and patents to.
EH?

It is not having a monopoly to have exclusive rights to sell something you create. The Playstation, Vita, et al are games and systems to which Sony has ownership of. They have competition from Nintendo and Microsoft in the form of the systems and games they have ownership of. Saying that Sony has a Monopoly because only they have the right to sell a Playstation is like saying Ford has a Monopoly because only they can sell a ford model car. It's ludicrous statement. To say something like this is to have no understanding whatsoever of the definition you just quoted.

An example of a monopoly would be like in my area we have only one power utility company. One company provides the power for the entire province. That is a monopoly. They would lose that monopoly if another utility opened up and provided a similar service.

Nintendo and Microsoft provide a similar service with their own technologies therefore Sony as much as I hate those cheeky anti consumer bastards do not have a monopoly.

OT

Jim, right on the nail. Keep it up and keep hammering those idiotic bastards.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Gatx said:
immortalfrieza said:
I'm sorry, what? A company gets to control how their own products are made and sold? This is also somehow wrong?
It's wrong when they and only they are permitted to make and sell a product. Monopolies cause companies to have no motivation whatsoever to provide fair prices for their product, to provide a very well functioning product, or to provide adequate customer service or to even provide customer service at all. Only when actual competition exists to companies have any reason to NOT charge ridiculously exorbitant prices and to make sure their product actually works.

In short, Sony and similar companies have a license to screw their customers over as much as they like and nobody can do anything about it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
NightHawk21 said:
Sony could take a lesson from Valve with Steam. I know the rules of the site, but lets just say that when I was a poor, unemployed teenager I used to acquire the few comp games (namely an RTS here or there) in less than legal ways. Now that I've pretty much converted to the Church of Steam, it is literally not worth my time to pirate a game and play around trying to get it to work, than to dish out a few bucks, get the game nicely integrated into my library with achievements and constant updates. There is a reason why my PS3 has been essentially off for a year now, and is only occasionally turned on to play a DVD.
Trust me you're not alone, I pirated a ton of stuff when I was younger and didn't have a job but after getting some work and finally getting into Steam I haven't pirated anything since. I still remember the moment I saw Deus Ex: HR, wanted it, and just booted up Steam and bought the damn thing without even considering torrenting it. Since then I've bought all the games I torrented (minus Duke Nukem Forever) off steam and haven't been on Pirate Bay since. Just why would I even consider messing around with crack file placement, fake server files, and mounting fake disk files when I can spend less money than I use to go out to eat, push a button, and watch Youtube videos until it's done? It's pretty much gotten me to be a PC only game with my 360 gathering dust for two years and my Xbox gold account canceled.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Gatx said:
immortalfrieza said:
It's wrong when they and only they are permitted to make and sell a product. Monopolies cause companies to have no motivation whatsoever to provide fair prices for their product, to provide a very well functioning product, or to provide adequate customer service or to even provide customer service at all. Only when actual competition exists to companies have any reason to NOT charge ridiculously exorbitant prices and to make sure their product actually works.

In short, Sony and similar companies have a license to screw their customers over as much as they like and nobody can do anything about it.
You understand Sony has competition in the form of Microsoft and Nintendo right? If people don't like Sony's service with the PS3 or Vita they go buy a 360, a Wii, or a 3DS.