Jimquisition: SOPA Approved

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
sindremaster said:
ph0b0s123 said:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?
A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.
OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
ph0b0s123 said:
sindremaster said:
ph0b0s123 said:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?
A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.
OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.
People are worried that Europe and the rest of the world will follow suit with similar legislation of its own if this works in the US. Also considering how much business is connected internationally, non american sites/businesses would be at risk of losing their US customers by breaching an American copyright even though its legal in their native country

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Wow, this is the first Jimquisition I haven't been able to watch the entire way through since shortly after his debut...

SOPA CAN'T HAPPEN.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
sindremaster said:
ph0b0s123 said:

Look up de-SOPA. Yeah I know it'll still kill audiences, but if you get the word out it should help.

orangecharger

Nov 13, 2009
That was brill Jim keep up the good work. Sailor Jerry is a delightful bevvy to get drunk on, next time you need some medicine. :)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.
It can pass even if vetoed. Checks and balances are a go.

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Great point this week, Jim! High concept video art really is boring, shallow and pointless, isn't it?

Sometimes I wonder if Jim gets ulcers if he's too funny so he has to step back and do crap like this about every other week to even it all out.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Chilling, truly chilling.

The title terrified me, the content shocked me. Please don't let SOPA happen.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm sorry Jim, but you used music in your video, so we're gonna have to remove you and everything you've ever done from the site. Have a nice life!

I just can't understand how this bill could even exist. Hasn't the person phrasing it got a brain? I get why something like it could exist and the reason for it, but the way it is currently? Who could have possibly signed that?

And while that title is utterly terrifying, it serves its purpose and I don't agree that it should change.

Krat Arona

Jul 12, 2010
Jim, you scared the shit out of me. I read the video header before I got to watch the video and you made me think that SOPA had already passed. Don't do that to me mang. XD

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I guessed this was another joke episode and lo and behold, it was basically the same as the blackout and Skyrim episodes. It's a really laboured joke now and an excuse to be lazy...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well that title sure as hell didn't scare the shit out of me and made me panic.

Why the bill even needs to exist just boggles my mind and I seriously hope that it doesn't go through. Just thinking about what the internet will be like if it passes just depresses me and I'd rather not think about it....

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Shit was fucking hilarious.

I think I shall join you at the bottom of a bottle of scotch is SOPA is passed..

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Deadly Premonition main theme! Definitely an awesome soundtrack, though you might get shut down for that one.

Joking aside, I've already emailed the ESA and my congressmen. They'd be imbeciles to still support that garbage, so of course they will.

albear

May 18, 2009
Even though the internet is dead Jim Sterling still manages to make an interesting episode of the Jimquisition, thank God for Jim.

Also i havent had a good laugh for a while until i saw him crying, then i saw the ending and it was even better :)

Also also lol to breaking the blinds/curtains :D