Jimquisition: The Adblock Episode

travis9

May 10, 2014
You know what? Because you asked... I'm turning off adblock. I'm even removing it. Because a lot of the online content I enjoy IS supported by ad's and I want it to keep being supported. I'm doing this for YOU Jim Sterling. Because you're awesome.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
I only have one site whitelisted at the moment. They asked, I tried and the adds aren't up in my face. Now that Jim asked I will whitelist The Escapist and see how it works out. I will never, ever whitelist Youtube, so Jim's channel will be "pirated" by me FOREVER!

Update: Ok, this is not going to work out. Those video adds you have to click to shut up, which opens a new window, are a no-go. Well, I tried.

mindkeep

Aug 9, 2012
For whatever it's worth, you've converted an AdBlock user. (Though I'm still going to hold onto RequestPolicy to block everything facebook.) Great video and love your work in general.

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
I watch advertisements, they're tolerable enough.

But if the ads around here start seriously asking me to update my software in order to see them, I'm drawing the line.

brkntl

Nov 27, 2009
I've used AdBlock for so long I forget I have it. However, I've switched it off for several webocmics and, after watching this episode, I guiltily whitelisted the whole Escapist domain.

rillerullarrunt

Aug 27, 2014
well there we go. i subscribed to the escapist thanks to this video. a decent honest request if you ask me. keep the sweet, sweet anger flowing!

Gokuofuin

Jan 6, 2010
Hang on a second, I see a lot of people complaining about adverts but I do not see any adverts on my version of the Escapist? I don't use any sort of blocking program or anything but all I see is .... well the escapists content?

Someone enlighten me please.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Gokuofuin said:
Someone enlighten me please.
Ads are region-specific. Meaning, you only see ads that are specifically targeted to your region. (Because it's no use advertising things to you that aren't available where you are.)

If however, there are no ads for the region you're accessing the Escapist from, then you just see generic Escapist-side placeholder ads instead. That's what you're seeing.

Gokuofuin

Jan 6, 2010
IceForce said:
Ads are region-specific. Meaning, you only see ads that are specifically targeted to your region. (Because it's no use advertising things to you that aren't available where you are.)

If however, there are no ads for the region you're accessing the Escapist from, then you just see generic Escapist-side placeholder ads instead. That's what you're seeing.
Ah I see, that is awesome for people like me, I suppose there are not a lot of adverts for South Africa :D lol