Jimquisition: The Adblock Episode

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Adblock Episode

Jimquisition tackles the ever thorny issue of AdBlock, with the kind of humility and charm you've come to expect from this show.

Watch Video

Discussion of adblockers on this comment thread need to contribute to the discussion of or the purpose of adblockers. Keep in mind, saying anything about the use of adblockers or the advocacy of that use without contribution to the discussion will involve health meter ramifications.

For the sake of expediency, keep in mind that everyone's definition of what is and isn't tolerable will be different. We implore you that if you feel any wrath in this thread is undeserved, use the Contact Form [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/forums] to appeal. Fair warning, any discussion of adblocking is treading dangerous waters. -Mod

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Can mods give clarification on how we're to discuss this? Normally adblock threads are instantly closed with participants warned and if there's to even be a comments section for this video they'll have to be some sort of exception.

EDIT: Holy shit these are a lot of warnings. Thread may as well be closed, difficult to discuss something that's expressly forbidden to discuss.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Eh. As a general rule, I keep adblock and noscript on. I've had entirely too many problems with them to do otherwise.

That said, any site I visit regularly, such as this one, that offers a subscription or donation option thing, I try to make use of. I'm more than happy to throw money at things like the Jimquisition, I'd just rather do it directly than have to put up with all the bullshit that comes with advertisements.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Phrozenflame500 said:
Can mods give clarification on how we're to discuss this? Normally adblock threads are instantly closed with participants warned and if there's to even be a comments section for this video they'll have to be some sort of exception.
Briefly discussed with a moderator yesterday that exceptions would have to be made here. I cannot speak for the admins, but I would like to believe they understand that, in order to comment here, an armistice is gonna be needed.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
I do block ads. They screw up the formatting, they are noisy and they try to make you click there even if you do not want to. I could live with a couple of silent banners. I could dead with this *click to watch video* windows pops up with embedded video.

What I can absolutely fucking not accept is trying to watch a video, with an add being louder than the video and I have to invest work to close this add to enjoy my video. Or that you want to watch a video and have to watch another advertising video first.

I especially want to address you, Jim. In a way (yes, logic is flawed) the piracy offers better service than the legal way to obtain content (you will recognize this one).

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I actually *WANT* to support content creators, but the ads that are made are...dear god.

I stopped 'allowing' that guy with the glasses to run ads when I got a THREE MINUTE AD from blip that it didn't even autoplay, forcing me to press play, instead, and this on a five minute video...but then, blip's been in a state of 'open war' with adblock for awhile...in a sense that they punish people who don't use it >_>.

I *DID* turn it off for the escapist here. Because Jim asked nicely, and he's cool.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
"If everyone blocked ads from running, there'd be no show."

But... But... I'm a pub club member!

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I don't use Adblock, nor do I plan to, nor do I advocate its use, but by god, The Escapist hasn't been making it easy for me the past few months. Video ads, which play on the sides and bottom of the page, starting themselves, with SOUND, which I then have to close everytime I open a new page, have occasionally made browsing the site a downright pain in the ass.

There is no threat here, I've been visiting this site for over 5 years, and have been a member for almost as long, but please Escapist, contact whoever is responsible for the advertisements placed here, and get them to stop it, because in the long run, I'm sure it is in fact the kind of thing that will drive people away, and I'd like this place to continue thriving. Thank you.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is basically the opinion you made when you are on the co-optional podcast, so I can't say I'm surprised on your stance.
That said, how do we even comment on this without getting banned? I pay pub club so I don't get ads on the site.

To the point, I have a collection of white listed sites and content creators. I get how the world works, and if I can support content I frequently view I'm happy to put up with some ads if it means they get to keep making the content.

I do wish site owners would browse the site as a "commoner" every now and again. The ads on this site in particular got incredibly brazen and irritating. It's like the staff didn't know there were videos that were auto-playing in the corner (making sound) or just didn't give a shit.

I want the escapist to live, so I pay them the pub club fee, but if your ads get too annoying people ARE going to block it, that's reality.

Again on the point, from a consumer's point of view with bandwith limits tightening and costs rising, you can reduce traffic when browsing by cutting out ads and stopping social media tracking.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I never use adblock, because if I like the video enough to watch it, I will watch an ad to see it.

There are some ads that are terrible and I really, really would love to block only certain ads.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I put up with these dreadful, dreadful ads attempting not to sell a product or service but to render me death. Because I feel that the hard work behind this site is well worth help funding, albeit only with my battered ear drums.

It is hard sometimes. But I know better than to talk about it.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Ah, well. Compromise is an important part of life. Also, I agree with the sentiments above - can this comments section be an exception to the rule: Ad Blockers - Do not link to, advocate, or admit to using ad blockers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct]?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Adblock Episode
Wouldn't the most direct way of supporting you be to buy a Pub Club subscription to The Escapist? Doing it via advertisers seems much more circuitous than just directly supporting the site with money.

Why didn't you ask people to take out an Escapist subscription instead of turning off adblock? It's the much more ethical model, and the one that's better for the industry. If more people paid for their content, the terrible advertising-driven model wouldn't be necessary.

And you say you don't like advertising, which makes it all the more perplexing why you didn't ask people to subscribe.

Onelove4iandi

Nov 5, 2013
I do use adblock. I also subscribe to the site along with many others and I also support many content creators on Subbable. I will also turn Adblock off for content that I can't directly support. But when I'm generally surfing the internet and see 30+ blocked ads on a single site, I don't feel too bad.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Excellently put, Jim. I don't use AdBlock, but I totally understand why someone would, so I don't judge them, but it would be nice if everyone that enjoys their "free" online content, to support said online content with a little inconvenience. Personally, I sometimes enjoy/appreciate ads, but more often than not, I mute them and/or click to another tab to multitask until it's over.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Before I used to be adblock free. That changed for me when a huge site I frequented and trusted let in numerous ads that infected and fucked my computer numerous times. I assumed at first that it was simply a link. But nope, it was the actual ads on the site. Now I'm paranoid as hell. Especially since then I continued to have close call. In general a lot of websites don't monitor what kinds of ads grace their site. The constraints in quality control has steadily dropped.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
I dont use ad block jim but i have to say most recently on the escapist i am considering it. add's constantly replaying in the back round with sound with out a mute pause or stop while i try and listen to the very content on the site. massive pop up for assassins creed with music while a add for it plays before the video and then its also playing in the small window on the side of the screen that just blasts music and shit at me.

most recently this level of annoyance is driving me to consider it.and i have been a member for years with out ad block watched a huge amount of content and never have they been as bad as recently.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I make sure the whitelist sites I frequently visit like The Escapist, Screwattack, and Destructoid. Everything else is SOL. That said if a particularly annoying ad is running I may turn it back on for a while, at least until the ad is replaced with something more tolerable.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
On a side note, if there is an ad for a company I hate that shows up, I click it. I will click the ad, because I know it costs the advertiser more money every time someone clicks it. It's a great way to give content providers a little bit more money while sticking it to people you hate.

Also, as a tip for Jim, don't look at poor on the internet. Download it from usenet and browse it off your hard drive. (Or use a flash drive so you can keep it away from prying eyes.)

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I don't use ad block because I know that's how people get paid. However, it's a daily struggle to not cave in and be selfish. I don't actually deal with external advertisers, but I've always wondered why it appears that sites have absolutely no editorial control over the types of ads on their page. I assume they have no control because, if they have any control, why would they have video-based ads running at the same time as their content that only serves to negatively affect the content I'm trying to consume? and that they are trying to publish?

I begrudgingly put up with it, but a site would really win me over by exercising more control over the ads it uses to prevent the content itself from being affected (wink wink nudge nudge). A picture ad is fine, but when you're streaming video ads while I'm trying to watch video content, the site turns into a mess.