Jimquisition: The Creepy Cull of Female Protagonists

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
wow really? really this happened? im shocked... really shocked (insert bioshock pun here) that we are in this a bad situation when its not implied but outright said by publishers "we dont want women in our games"... just wow i feel kinda sick...
oh btw about your offer jim unfortunatly i wont be at pax so i cant take you up on your promise but ill contact you next time ill be in the U.S. ;)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I've always wondered why Infinite couldn't at least have a more 'busy' cover art with other elements from the game including Elizabeth along with Booker and his gun? but I guess since they're going with the CoD/BF style then it's the minimalistic man + gun art lol...

burningdragoon said:
Though really, if I can "deal" with staring at Solid Snake's skintight buttcrack, I can "deal" with *gasp* a women going to kiss someone.
LOL I was thinking the same thing while my friend played through Metal Gear Rising. Raiden's butt was glistening in the light 90% of the game

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Magenera said:
Why does female characters not get face time on covers, or play second fiddle, or not be the playable characters? Because they don't sell at all, game is a business first, entertainer second. If you want them, you have to buy them, bitching about it won't do a damn thing, as action speaks louder than words, and as far as businesses are concern, most prefer the status quo.
That's correlation, not causation.

The fact is games with female protagonists are not even MADE at all. That and of the few games with female-only protagonists they get less marketing exposure, you see the problem isn't caused by them being on the cover.

I think it's reasonable to have the protagonist on a front cover of a game, the problem clearly is the lack of female protagonists in gaming.

It doesn't help that while the sexists oppose female being any thing other than for appearances or support, the supposed advocates of women in gaming are sniping at every aspect of their depiction.

If they don't kiss a guy it's objectification, if they kiss a guy it's conforming, if they kiss a girl it's pandering to men. Bayonetta is terrible because she is sexual. Lara Croft is terrible because she isn't sexual.

The problem is - if it isn't entirely imaginary - so blown out of proportion it has the effect that developers simply don't want to bother with women in games, it's just too much trouble and they won't be appreciated. That was their solution to race and ethnicity in games, it's all white people now.

That Ken Levine story of choosing that cover art... did the focus group reject Elizabeth from the cover JUST because she was a woman, or because she clearly wasn't the protagonist of what was most definitely a shooter? I mean if the protagonist had been Becky DeWitt, on a mission to recover the time travel scientist and young genius Elliot... would they have demanded that the male scientist supporting character be put on the cover and the gun toting female protagonist put on the back??

Sorry, I know publishers are morons, but the blame here really has to go to the publishers, why they keep making action games with male protagonists. A single case isn't the problem is it keeps happening over and over and over again.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Straight male here. Here's the amount of playthroughs I've done with females in games where I choose the protagonist's gender.
3 playthroughs (out of 6) of Mass Effect: 2 with romances with guys, one with Liara.
2 playthroughs (out of 3) of Dragon Age Origins: 1 romance with Alistair, 1 with Leliana and Alistair ultimately settling on Alistair.
2 runs (out of 3) of Dragon Age 2: 1 straight romance, 1 lesbian.
1 run (out of 2) of Jade Empire with a lesbian romance.
2 runs (out of 3) of KotOR with straight romances with Carth.
1 run (out of 1) of KotOR 2 (no romance).
8 out of 16 of my characters in SW:TOR are female and I'm planning on doing the romance subplot for all their LIs (who are only guys at the moment).
My only character for Fallout: NV is a girl.
And so is my only character for Skyrim.
Moving beyond RPGs my Halo: Reach character is a chick and my Halo 4 MP character is a chick.

I don't do this for the usual "well if I've gotta look at a character's ass, why not have it be a chick's?" reason. I hate that reasoning since it objectifies the female character. One reason I do it is for reality disconnect: it's much easier for me to get immersed in the game world if I sever most connections to reality. Thus I change gender, ethnicity (or at least most features like skin (a bit), hair, and eye color), philosophical view, morals, etc.; if I don't do this I eventually start metagming which also breaks the immersion. After I know the story I'll go back and play as a guy (or as a girl again) and not worry about that; since I already know the story from the first playthrough I'm already technically metagaming since I'll be preparing for what comes next instead of being reactionary. Besides, I paid $60 for the game, why would I restrict myself from experiencing a portion of the content?

And out of my 13 or so straight male gamer friends [i/]NONE OF THEM[/i] have a problem with this. Once during a weekend session I was playing the romance subplot for a guy love interest and two of my friends were giving me advice so I wouldn't run into any pitfalls (the romance flags had a few bugs).

So I'm blaming the publishers on this. There aren't many games out there with ONLY female protagonists so there's a view that gamers don't want female leads, yet if you allow gamers to choose they'll choose a female. Otherwise G.I.R.L.s wouldn't exist, would they?

talideon

Mar 18, 2011
oreso said:
Making women is HARD WORK
Stop making it a no-win for games designers. Female characters face ENORMOUS amounts of scrutiny for every single aspect of their design, compared to their male counterparts. Too much/little sexuality/femininity/violence/sexiness/dialogue/vulnerability/characterisation/etc. It's tedious. It's unfair.

If it wasn't such a minefield of offence, then maybe that'd mean more people would try.
Or rather than writing women characters, maybe people could try, I dunno, writing... people? To quote from an interview with George R.R. Martin:

George Stephanopolous: There?s one thing that?s interesting about your books. I noticed that you write women really well and really different. Where does that come from?

George R.R. Martin: You know, I?ve always considered women to be people.
That, to a great extent, is why people go on and on about Mass Effect: the dialogue for the male and female Shepards are practically identical, differing only in delivery (owing to there being two different actors involved) and in the romance subplots. And yet, both versions are equally believable as a man and a woman because before anything else, Shepard was written as a person.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
cyvaris said:
I wish to god we had more non-sexy, single (?), female protagonists in the vein of Ripley or Samus just because it would add something different to the endless amounts of "Dude-bro" protagonists.
Would Samus really count outside of her armor?

I mean I don't know sexy so I can't really comment, but it really seems that's what they were going for when they put her in a ponytail and the skintight blue bodysuit.
Outside of her armor, no, she wouldn't (and the same goes for Ripley). The important thing, however, is that the attractiveness of both characters is basically irrelevant to the way they're presented. When you think of Samus, the first image that pops into your head is one where she's wearing her Power Suit, and that's because that image and what it represents is reinforced by the games (and their marketing, for that matter). It's fortuitous the Ripley was brought up, because she illustrates the point extremely well; she's an attractive female, but the films never use that in lieu of characterization even in the rare instances where it's addressed in the first place. Because the series refuses to treat Ripley as an object rather than a person, people respond to her as a person instead of an object. Just as you'd never see an Alien poster showing off a scantily-clad Ripley, you'd never see a suitless Samus taking up the space on a Metroid game's box art (unlike a [http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/14030/625440-tomb.jpg] certain [http://cdn1.spong.com/pack/l/a/laracroftt71361/_-Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-The-Angel-of-Darkness-PC-_.jpg] other [http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/game_art/tomb_raider:_anniversary/box_art.jpg] series [http://cdn4.spong.com/pack/t/o/tombraider287119l/_-Tomb-Raider-Underworld-PS3-_.jpg]) when the developers have an image of the Power Suit that they know will resonate much more widely. (The one exception - Other M and maybe Super Smash Bros. Brawl aside - is the inclusion of multiple endings based solely on how revealing Samus's attire is, which I honestly could do without at this point.)

Krantos said:
I has to be said that a lot of games with female protagonists don't sell well simply because they're not that good.

Lets take a look at the big games in recent years featuring female protagonists:

-Metroid: Other M
-Mirrors Edge
-Hydrophobia
-Tomb Raider
-Amy
-Final Fantasy XIII

...I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. Notice anything about them? Aside from Tomb Raider, they panned by critics and audiences alike. Not because they had a female lead, but because the games themselves were of questionable quality at best.

If publishers and developers want female protagonists to sell well, for gods sake put them in good games.
True enough, though that observation raises the question of whether games with female leads are immediately placed on a lower priority level than those with male leads, and the seemingly greater-than-average number of poor-quality titles is a result of less money, time, and manpower being devoted toward these games.

On the other hand, the inclusion of Metroid: Other M on that list raises what I regard as a far more significant issue, which is the way female characters in video games as well as other forms of popular media are so often written. That is to say, abysmally. In the original Metroid, the ending reveal that Samus was a woman worked so well because it made the point that a female is capable of being every bit the hero that a man in the same situation could. By the third game, Samus's gender was being established in the intro, and Metroid Prime peppered visual and audio reminders of it throughout the game's whole length. The best thing about the Metroid games' gender representation was that Samus's femininity was present, but totally incidental to her character. By treating the subject of her gender as no big deal, the series resoundingly demonstrated that nobody should be making a big deal about a woman being able to fill a role traditionally done by a man, and in doing so communicated a message of female empowerment via gender equality.

Come Other M, the concept of "equality" was thrown out the window, and the story chose to define Samus first and foremost not as a person, but as a female - or, rather, the warped caricature that is Yoshio Sakamoto's concept of femininity. And lo and behold, suddenly the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter became cowardly, obsessed with babies and motherhood, and irrationally fixated on the nearest male authority figure in the face of all reason. If, say, Half-Life 3 suddenly decided to give Gordon Freeman a voice and personality, no one would even think to pile those traits onto him and call it characterization. But when it comes to female characters, a depressing number of writers seem to think that "being a woman" not only counts as a personality trait in and of itself, but is the only personality trait any female character could conceivably possess. I'm not saying that gender can't be an important aspect of characterization, but only in stories where it's a relevant issue, and not crowbarred in out of a perception that femininity is somehow abnormal - a perception that people, both inside and outside of the video games industry, desperately need to get past.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
duchaked said:
I've always wondered why Infinite couldn't at least have a more 'busy' cover art with other elements from the game including Elizabeth along with Booker and his gun? but I guess since they're going with the CoD/BF style then it's the minimalistic man + gun art lol...

burningdragoon said:
Though really, if I can "deal" with staring at Solid Snake's skintight buttcrack, I can "deal" with *gasp* a women going to kiss someone.
LOL I was thinking the same thing while my friend played through Metal Gear Rising. Raiden's butt was glistening in the light 90% of the game
Beefcake is (apparently) not gay when a dude is kicking ass.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Would this be a good time to bring up Saint's Row 2, if it hasn't been mentioned yet? (and probably just as much The Third?) I remember playing through the whole game with both a male and a female character, and in cutscenes, they had the exact same lines. (British-accent male, hispanic female, at least, can't say I've gone through with all 6) The Boss was the exact same vengeful, psychotic sociopath whether they were male or female, their gender made no difference to anyone but the player, near as I can tell.
EDIT: And perhaps not even them.

Though I guess that might just have been to save time, not having to write/record everyone's different reactions? They don't seem to mind when you show up to missions in pink combat boots and a zombie mask, either.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
I would love to play a game with an interesting female lead and I am looking forward to Remember Me. To be honest, I already tend to make female characters in RPGs because I am bored with playing some dude-bro. Although, I tend to make her a bit manly and have her drink and knock people over and be generally bad-ass.

I think that the publishers are just afraid to scare away the thirteen year old dumbass demographic who are afraid of thinking of women as human beings.
I do this as well, I really enjoy playing female characters in Skyrim for example. When so inclined I'll even marry them to a male character, though my lack of enthusiasm for that is more because the game tends to overwrite any and all badass personalities with a generic lovey dovey housewife one the moment you do so.

Personally I think strong female leads in games are awesome, and that we need more of it. Not really for gender equality reasons, but because I'm sick of it almost always being some big muscle man these days. It's not like that's a character I can identify with as the industry seems to insist, so instead let's just focus on making these leads more awesome in general. And sometimes that will mean making them female.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Krantos said:
*Snip*

Um... What?

I think you need to reread my post, because that was the point I was making. The only big name games featuring female protagonists have failed due to reasons other than the lead. I outright said:
Aside from Tomb Raider, they panned by critics and audiences alike. Not because they had a female lead, but because the games themselves were of questionable quality at best.
So unless I'm missing something, I don't understand why you seem to be refuting a stance I didn't take, and in fact, you reiterated what I said.
That would be because apparently I wasn't paying very much attention and I got distracted in the middle of reading your post and missed those bits.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
oreso said:
Making women is HARD WORK
Stop making it a no-win for games designers. Female characters face ENORMOUS amounts of scrutiny for every single aspect of their design, compared to their male counterparts. Too much/little sexuality/femininity/violence/sexiness/dialogue/vulnerability/characterisation/etc. It's tedious. It's unfair.

If it wasn't such a minefield of offence, then maybe that'd mean more people would try.
Making GAMES is hard work. If you want a successful game you have to put in the work and take the risks. But you shouldn't imply that female characters specifically represent a big aspect of the difficulty, because ultimately they don't. So long as you write them properly and keep your game from being a steaming mass of misogyny you should be fine, I haven't seen people offend easily at female leads unless the developers went out of their way to make it that way.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Legion said:
If Lara Croft wore a bikini throughout the latest Tomb Raider, she wouldn't be objectified. Sexist? Sure, you could argue that, but sexism and objectification are not synonymous.

Being sexy =/= being an object.
This kind of depends on context, and particularly 'why' lara is in a bikini.

For example?

'she's on a beach, relaxing, chilling out.what is she wearing?'

'Bikini.'

'ok, makes sense.' - not objectification

'she's climbing a mountain, snows up to her ankles, and there's going to be wolves and people with guns attacking her, what is she wearing.'

'bikini.'

'are you sure? i'm sure she'd want something warmer-'

'bikini.'

'what about armour or padding for-'

'bikini.'

'but it doesn't make sense'

'I want her in a bikini, bikini it is.' - objectification. what the character would choose is taken out of her hands over what someone else wants in case of titilation.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Abomination said:
From what I understand it isn't the "Industry" as a whole that is like this but the marketing dickheads and publishers (not developers). But that's just common of the suits in any industry, frequently seeing themselves as "so far above" or are so detached from the actual work that takes place in the industry they view everything as just numbers on a spreadsheet.

On the flip side we have just seen a staggering number of female protagonists and important characters in AAA game releases suddenly. We've got Kerrigan of Star Craft II, Lara in Tomb Raider and now Elizabeth in Bioshock: Infinite. There is also Last of Us in the works with a very significant female character who is essentially going to follow the same formula as Elizabeth. These female characters have flaws but none of the stereotypical negative feminine flaws that media likes to portray all women as suffering from. They are balanced and fine examples of powerful women ? even Kerrigan.

This article by Jim is just another highlight as to how the suits are so disconnected from the industry they are ?masters? of.
To be fair though, three is hardly a staggering number.