Jimquisition: The Rise of YouTube Fodder

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The Great JT said:
I know of only one way to stop the flow of these things: ban PewDiePie from YouTube. I know it's cruel, but if they're giving warnings to GOOD YouTubers and shutting them down, why can't PDP get banned?
At this point, a company giving any sort of WARNING to PewDiePie is pretty dumb considering how popular he is, also, ARE YOU LISTENING TO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!? 'I don't like all these crappy games so lets punish the people they're aiming them at', fuck that. I'm all for these games being shown for what they really are even though i'm not really into lets plays (besides a bit of Game Grumps here and there) but you're talking about censoring people because you can't be bothered to wade through the crap, once again, fuck that. Crappy business practices are due to crappy businesses/business folk (duh), they should be the ones told to get stuffed.

Deadagent

Sep 14, 2011
The Great JT said:
I know of only one way to stop the flow of these things: ban PewDiePie from YouTube. I know it's cruel, but if they're giving warnings to GOOD YouTubers and shutting them down, why can't PDP get banned?
Simple, PewDiePie makes big bucks for youtube. Unless he does something illegal on camera (or off camera and the word gets out), he will stay in on youtube.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alterego-X said:
I'm still not quite sure what's the point of letting such games go viral, if evidently no one buys them. "They take up space" where? They are on the newest releases list for a very short time, and then never appear on the front page again, while better ones do, and make sales as well.

If anything, you people are letting them take up even more space, in reviews, and videos, and forum discussions, that could have been spent on popularizing good indie games and give THOSE better visibility instead, if they can be transformed into sales, instead of railing agains something that no one would have had to hear about anyways.
I imagine browsing for games will become quite the pain in the arse.
This is the point in these arguments that has always confuses me. I mean, I know because of the many people I've seen make this argument that someone, somewhere uses their steam/origin/uplay clients to browse for games... but I have no idea why, and have never seen it done myself. Every gamer I know personally uses a web browser to peruse news sites or youtube for that purpose. Steam has always been terrible for it. The only useful parts of the steam store are the wishlist and the search function... always been that way.

As far as I can tell, people have been releasing shitty games, and those games aren't selling well. That's basically as it should be, though we would all prefer if people would release good games. This has been a problem with entertainment media since the popularization of novels for light entertainment... possibly before. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... Theodore Sturgeon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law] was right.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
loc978 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alterego-X said:
I'm still not quite sure what's the point of letting such games go viral, if evidently no one buys them. "They take up space" where? They are on the newest releases list for a very short time, and then never appear on the front page again, while better ones do, and make sales as well.

If anything, you people are letting them take up even more space, in reviews, and videos, and forum discussions, that could have been spent on popularizing good indie games and give THOSE better visibility instead, if they can be transformed into sales, instead of railing agains something that no one would have had to hear about anyways.
This is the point in these arguments that has always confuses me. I mean, I know because of the many people I've seen make this argument that someone, somewhere uses their steam/origin/uplay clients to browse for games... but I have no idea why, and have never seen it done myself. Every gamer I know personally uses a web browser to peruse news sites or youtube for that purpose. Steam has always been terrible for it. The only useful parts of the steam store are the wishlist and the search function... always been that way.
And you do that because you know Steam is terrible for browsing games, BECAUSE of the current state of terribleness.

It's like you're staring the problem in the face without acknowledging it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Thanatos2k said:
loc978 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alterego-X said:

And you do that because you know Steam is terrible for browsing games, BECAUSE of the current state of terribleness.

It's like you're staring the problem in the face without acknowledging it.
I acknowledged it when I bought Portal and made a Steam account in 2007. Nothing has changed, and I have no idea why people want it to... the storefront is shitty because it's an advertising method. Advertising methods are there to lie to you, been that way since Edward Bernays revolutionized it all for the worse, long before any of us were born.

In any case, I'll admit this is just me not understanding people who don't immediately dismiss all attempts to sell them something. I've been like that since I was a kid. This is probably one of those things that does need changing, I'm just confused by the existence of that need.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Charcharo said:
Off topic:
Will you ever do a topic on PC modding Jim? Especially truly HIGH end stuff like Lost Alpha, Black Mesa, Research And Development and other such games that rival AAA games?
But why?, what would him doing an episode on mods accomplish?, him giving focus on Steam right now for what's actually going on is a good thing because that needs to be paid attention to at this moment in time, it's a bad thing for Valve in general, we keep at EA's toes for years, this is the time to do the same to Valve because no one should get the free pass, mods aren't going anywhere as a topic.

Besides if anything from that off topic question I was surprised you hadn't linked that video you've always seemed to link when it comes to mods and a certain STALKER game, I just don't see how him talking about STALKER and those other games and a few mods is really going to be something worthy or beneficial, especially when people know those mods exist and we already know his opinions on gaming anyway, this site and users have made that clear unless of course you originally just wanted nothing but non critical talk of mods and only praise for them while holding a massive bias of disdain for AAA games, I mean in your own off topic question you said "such games that rival AAA games", which basically just means only praise while disdain for the other side, there's nothing to really discuss there for him or for us other than to form that nice lovely little circle jerk that gets formed every time on here anyway for games like Witcher 3 and anti Nintendo/MS threads.

It would be nice if he talked about the RTS genre maybe, especially since that genre has been practically dead for a while now (actual RTS games before you or anyone else think to link RTT or other games not within the Real Time Strategy spectrum, there are different ones and different games outside of RTS) with only a few slim pickings of games compared to say the shooter or RPG genre, that topic wouldn't involve praise, it would involve asking what's happened, why has this happened, what's going to happen next.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Right on Jim. Good video. Put the spotlight on these jackasses because there's game developers out there with real talent getting buried in the menus of Greenlight. Hope you feel better dude. Stay hydrated!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
why not instead of constantly complaining about bad games you use your "internet celebrity" status to promote good games that deserve our attention

here I'll start

TOME the best "pure" roguelike ever made, super polished interface, works across every platform HUNDREDS of hours of truly interesting gameplay

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680

but the developer is so honest he lets you download the WHOLE GAME for free from his website so you can try it as long as you would like

support this guy and not corporate publishers

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I disagree Jim. I think there are some examples of games that aren't fun to play but people buy them because they were fun to watch on youtube.

Surgeon Simulator would be a big example of this.

While I agree that some of these games are pretty bad I have to say, so what? If people choose to take the risk of making a bad game and then suffer poor sales - lesson learned. It was their choice to make it just like its our choice not to buy it. If people buy games just because they enjoyed watching it on youtube and then they enjoy it for that reason - good for them I say - if they don't enjoy it - again, lesson learned I say.

Really, I don't see a problem here. People are doing silly things like they always do, and always will. Let people do whatever they want if they aren't hurting anybody. Good games will still come out. I will inform myself and buy those good games and avoid the bad ones.

If anything, bad games give critics something to promote themselves with. So its kind of a good thing for people like you Jim, but you sound so angry. I guess that's kind of your thing. You're a very angry man.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
While I agree, in part, with the crux of the argument, I've always felt like this debate is nothing more than a case of moving the goal posts.

It seems to me that the real issue is less with Steam's Storefront and publishing policies and more with web-celebrities, critics, and their respective fan-bases.

These are the people that are giving all the publicity and attention to the truly appalling "cash-grab" games and ignoring the quality indie titles; all the while complaining about the attention those crappy games are getting.

Thing is, as was pointed out in Jim's video, these awful games see negligible, almost nonexistent sales numbers. And, for that matter, they spend no more than a few days or so on the actual store-front; if they're ever there at all.

So really, I honestly fail to see what the issue is. I absolutely agree that these games are utter trite and their respective creators deserve all the mockery they get and more. However, the way to deal with them isn't to censor the Storefront, it's to ignore them. Stop bringing them to light. Stop doing LPs about them.

Just ignore them. That's it.

I know it's a reviewers job to play and review games and then present their opinions to the masses, sometimes as a "buyers beware" PSA, but these sorts of games won't even appear as a blip on most gamers' radar screens. And even among those that may have heard of them most won't even consider a purchase.

The only reason most gamers even know of the existence of these kinds of games is because reviewers and LPers keep bringing them up. They keep searching for these titles specifically to showcase them and to either complain about the sad state of game quality today or to rehash the "Amnesia" effect.

If we just collectively ignore them they'll end up being relocated to the dark, forgotten corner of Steam and disappear from memory. (assuming anyone even noticed them) And, after a time, these lazy, jerk-bag devs that keep shitting out these awful games will begin to see there's no money or celebrity to be made in continuing. In the end, most will simply stop making them.

Then we all win.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All that said, sorry to hear of your illness Jim. Get better soon. We need someone out there fighting the good fight!

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I completely disapprove of this episode.

Not because I don't see your point about shameless "Yub Tub" games, see.

But noone, not even YOU, Jim, have the right to slag off Putt-Putt. I'm afraid I can not thank god for you today when you abuse my childhood so.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
DataSnake said:
Opportunity cost. If someone offers you a choice between $100 and $1, choosing the latter has an opportunity cost of $99, even with no "real" expenses. Every spot on the front page wasted on shit nobody will buy is a slot that could be generating more money if it linked to one of the many non-terrible games in Steam's arsenal.
I couldn't have said it better. If a bad game takes up space on the front page it will hurt sales of more deserving games while not generating sales itself. This is bad for Valve's bottom line.

Worse still, if Steam gets a reputation for selling bad games, it will hurt sales overall. Fewer people will take chances on smaller games and Indie developers will suffer the most.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions. While I won't deny that what Jim says has a lot of truth to it, I think part of the issue is that Horror games are making a come back, but they tend to be fairly difficult to design, and as a result despite the genius of certain games that helped get the ball rolling in the genera again, a lot of crap is being produced. To be honest games generally don't *DO* real horror, they just recycle tropes for the most part, as horror is by definition and uncomfortable experience, and only something comparatively few people can appreciate and seek out, for the most part most so called "horror fans" will attack things like torture, rape, graphic violence, "insensitive" depictions of people and religions, and all kinds of other things. Rather than being able to enjoy having their buttons pushed and being taken seriously outside of their usual comfort zone, they tend to get upset when someone REALLY scares them, creeps them out, or makes them uncomfortable, all the while denying what actually happened. As a result most "horror" tends to recycle the same kinds of generically creepy environments, jump scares, and possible implications, and generally comes across like the same kind of low grade kitsch you see in a Halloween spook house. That kind of thing can still be good when done well, but it's very hard to do those things well when you know what's coming, which is a big problem with real world spook houses as well as video games that are kind of following in their footsteps. The use of internet celebrities "hamming it up" is not surprising, as those kinds of ridiculous reactions being faked and/or recorded is how spook houses advertise themselves as well.

To put things into a certain perspective, look at say "Silent Hill". The game series succeeded because it was willing to push the envelope at first and took a somewhat irreverent attitude towards freaking people out. The problem was when "Silent Hill 2" came around the stuff they did in the first game got attention, and furthermore the audience who had seen the first game had become jaded and of course needed even more intense content to get the same effect. While "Silent Hill 2" itself went on to become a classic, it was edited heavily due to complaints about the bludgeoning of evil knife wielding undead children and such, which was removed from the game after appearing in the first one and earth SH2 demos. "SH2" succeeded post edit because of the strength of the story, but after that point the series was dialing it in as it was largely re-treading the same material deemed "safe" and no longer pushing the envelope as horror needs to. The series lingered on, but has generally been one comparative failure after another.... this is a series that has generally commanded a decent budget and can at least turn out a cool monster, and do the deserted buildings and eerie atmosphere at a top notch level. A game recycling these kinds of tropes and trying to be scary while being inoffensive (kind of contradictory) that doesn't even have that is of course going to be outright crap.

To put things into even more perspective, let's look at one of the generally more successful horror games of the current batch... Outlast. Outlast worked because it didn't give much of a crap about who it offended. You had dudes running around with their junk hanging out, being immolated on cruicifixian devices, and perhaps most impressively the creepy way how mental patients would shamble around "doing their thing" and beating themselves slowly to death slamming their heads into walls or whatever. Those kinds of details were all kinds of messed up, but are just begging for attention when someone goes after the game for being insensitive about the mentally ill, and playing up the worst stereotypes about them, no matter what kind of in game justification is presented. Sort of like how the context didn't really affect the complaints about the child-stomping in "Silent Hill 2", "Outlast" getting by, largely because it hasn't been so successful to get the same kind of attention, and as a result a sequel at least has the potential to be even more freaky than the original by raising the intensity as a horror series needs to. That said most developers don't have the talent to make things look as cool, or the guts to even try and go there, hence the reliance on tired tropes, and jump scares, with them going throught the motions like a cut rate spook house.

I'll also say that while controversial, I think a bit part of the problem is simply quality control and STEAM allowing anyone to crap out anything with a basic building engine and put it on their service (though I can see why it does this with Souce specifically). I think a big part of this is that your looking at horror games that would have at one time been a labor of love, and put up on the internet for free, with the devs virtually begging people to play it so their work could be appreciated. Nowadays anything anyone puts a halfway decent effort into has a price tag attached and starts glutting services like STEAM. Look back at some of the horror mods/games that helped push the horror trend, things like the SCP games, containment breach, and that stairwell thing based on SCP files from the SCP site. Fairly low quality, but high concept works that caught on and became sort of cult classics, but did so in part because they were free and something that people did just to be cool, not because it was intended as a serious product. The source/half-life mod/adventure "Cry For Fear" is another very similar example (though one which did spawn a higher quality, paid, re-build if I remember... though I could be wrong). This stuff was cool in part because of the ideas and that they were done for fun, not sold as a product, a lot of the garbage being critiqued here is mostly bad because it's being presented as a product that people are expected to pay real money for, not something done by a bunch of fanboys with time on their hands and wanting to entertain/amuse people.

I guess the short version is I think a lot of this stuff is just objectively crap, I don't think the low-end developers that do this kind of thing are all trying to bait famous let's players. It doubtlessly does happen, and I think Jim is right that it is a problem, but I don't think it's as frequently pre-meditated as he puts forward.

The problem with horror games in particular is going to be a lack of guts and people being unwilling to go into the right territory without trying to get needlessly artsy by was of justifying it. Of course in some cases, lack of ability is also likely a factor. Basically an unwillingness to risk offending people and getting backlash means a horror game is likely to blow chips. As a general rule if your concerned about being "offensive towards the mentally ill and those who champion them" your not going to be able to turn out a freaky Asylum game. Simply expecting reality to carry something like that isn't going to work when the basic facts have been re-treaded so heavily already throughout the genera. Likewise when dealing with evil cults, witches, etc... or whatever else, the idea is to shock and offend, if your concerned about offending new agers, your also going to fail. Horror is by definition scary and offensive. If someone had decided to be sympathetic to the realities of the poor and rural south "Texas Chansaw Massacre" would have been an episode of "King Of The Hill".... and going half way with it would have just been lame and turned it from a classic ino the cinematic equivalent of one of these games. Of course at the same time, it was relatively new at the time, so it didn't have to push too hard, at that point simply meathooking someone was enough, now that people have seen that, the ante has to be raised to get the same kind of shocked reaction especially from genera fans.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well Pc gaming was always like that. somone makes something great, a bunch of other people try to copy it badly. one or two of these copies turn out to actually be great instead. this was true in the 90s, in the 2000s and its still true in the 10s.

Fat_Hippo said:
Hah, I do love Totalbiscuit's insane love for a well-developed set of options which less than 1% of people will spend more than 30 seconds looking at and hardly anyone needs, but at least he's passionate about it. Although when I do watch his videos, I usually skip it after 2 minutes, and I doubt I'm in the minority there.
ech, its easy to not value something you take for granted, but let me tell you if those options were actually missing shit would be hitting the fan big time.
considering he gets average of 296,019 views per day, i doubt many people stop watching his videos.

then again, escapist youtube channel is actually more popular than total bisquits :p

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Infernal Lawyer said:
I completely disapprove of this episode.

Not because I don't see your point about shameless "Yub Tub" games, see.

But noone, not even YOU, Jim, have the right to slag off Putt-Putt. I'm afraid I can not thank god for you today when you abuse my childhood so.
What the hell is Putt-Putt? I've never seen so many Jimquisition fans throw down the gauntlet over a little jab at a game; guess I need to go give Putt-Putt a try.

Edit: Oh my god, I haven't thought of this game in years! I used to play it at a daycare center forever ago. I want to say in the 90's, I remember taking turns between this and pokemon red.