Jimquisition: The Ten Worst Games of 2011

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
amaranth_dru said:
Hey, aside from the horribad-Batman he was, Val Kilmer is awesome.
Kilmer wasn't even particularly bad as Batman, despite the movie being particularly bad. That is, the fault really comes down to writing and such more than Kilmer. Though he should probably have never taken the job.
I'll admit he was the best Bruce Wayne of that series...
Michael Keaton is and always will be the best Bruce Wayne ever.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I don't know why you would judge a game by any standard other than whether it is fun.

DNF isn't.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
mjc0961 said:
I saw Duke Nukem Forever coming a mile away, but what rape is he talking about? I played that game and saw no rape. I saw topless women who had panties on trapped in some kind of alien slime piles or something, but it was no different than what was seen in Duke Nukem 3D. It was just better graphics.
<youtube=rmjdP57L8_Q>

This is the clip in question, where the Holsom twins are shown wrapped up and impregnated by the aliens. Just in case you missed it. And yes, it's distasteful, not funny in the least.

Not to mention due to the game's reference, it's a bit like watching the Olsen twins being raped and killed.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Does this mean I'm a bad person because I liked DNF? I found the platforming segments pretty fun and well done, better than mirror's edge' platforming

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
To make an early prediction for 2012; Final Fantasy 13-2 will make the list at #4

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
DNF is an awesome game. I read Jim's review on it on Destructoid a few weeks ago and most of what he says can easily be applied to CoD or Battlefield, but Jim *likes* those piece of shit games and DNF is a shooter that *isn't* CoD or BF so... yeah, I guess I'm accusing Jim of fanboyism.

The only legitimate complaints I've found about DNF is how its unlike its predecessor in that Duke can only carry 2 guns and regenerating health. The load times are atrocious too, making the insane difficulty pretty frustrating at times. And the fact that textures take a sec to load at the beginning of a level, but really, that's minor and doesn't detract from the gameplay at all.

There are no rape jokes. The gameplay is varied and challenging at higher difficulty levels. The game is popular enough to warrant both a sequel and DLC for a reason.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Deal with it

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
So I didn't get tricked into playing them. Except DNF, I wanted DNF to be good, but it just wasn't!
That's fair enough then, I guess I would do the same if I had the money. And I think everyone wanted DNF to be good, but 10 years of market stagnation will do that to a great franchise, look at X-Com!

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I actually discovered the new Bloodrayne game the other day and one look at the gameplay before watching this and I already KNEW it was gonna be awful. It LOOKS rather nice, but I've seen too many games like it that just don't know how to balance things out. So yeah, nice call there.

And really? They stuck some of that crap (the misogynistic lines) in the game? I remember when Duke was just a guy who liked the ladies and a good explosion, now it's like the people making his character (and the storyline) were from a certain third world country or something. I had to go and look some of the stuff up to see if it was true, and was appalled by it. I almost actually played the game when it first came out, but then heard some rumours from friends of mine who HAD played it.. and I didn't like what I heard.

Otherwise, I was kinda hoping to see more titles I'd recognize here, but most of them certainly seemed worth the scathing.

EDIT: Also, for some of the defenders of DNF... if you don't give a shit about rape in general, at least in media, then you're probably not even gonna notice them popping up. I remember pointing out to somebody that a song they were listening to actually was condoning rape (forget which one it was, this was years ago) and they dropped it like a hot potato when they looked up the lyrics.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Damn, the Duke bit was just filled with venom. It wasn't a great game hell, my favorite parts were the ones where you just dick around playing pool but geeze, it sounded like Jim himself was raped by The Duke! Either way it was a great episode and I can't wait to see more Jim in the new year.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Samus Aran but a man said:
Crazy_Dude said:
No Dragon Age 2 or Brink? Those were my two major dissapointments this year.
disappointing? sure
mass of blood-coloured spunk? no way
Yes I expected Burnout Crash to be on the list until I saw Bloodrayne which was all the disappointment of Burnout Crash but broken too. Burnout Crash would've probably been okay if it was a $3 app on my phone...but it would still be disappointing that we don't have proper big crash junctions on the ps3.

Candescence

Jan 7, 2011
I dunno, Bloodrayne: Betrayal seems to polarize reviewers. Some love it (including EDGE, which gave it an 8), but others give it as low as a 5. Weird, really.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
SpaceBat said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Obviously he didn't play half the games out there because there were a lot that were worse than DNF (Brink, Homefront, DA2, etc.), and just wanted to throw in his "DNF sucks" comments.
Please tell me that you're joking. If you honestly believe that DA2 is as bad, if not worse than DNF, then I really don't know what to say to you.

LiquidGrape said:
Kudos to Sterling for tearing into DNF for being the trite, misogynist piece of regurgitated garbage utterly void of redeeming features that it is.
Pretty much this. I simply cannot think of a single aspect of DNF that I find worthy of praise.
Well, first off, I see you removed the part about DNF being mainstream. Maybe you realized that even if you completely despise the game you still admit that it isn't mainstream at all (and again, prove that have you people complaining about it are just jumping on the bandwagon and never played the game).

DA2? Dragon Age 2? The sequel to the worst game in creation that I ever forced myself to finish. Yes, it is horrid. I only was able to get through the demo and still wanted that time I lost back. Grinding for hours in caves in Final Fantasy VII was more exciting than Dragon Age was. The combat was about as noticeable and engaging as the story in Painkiller, the story and characters were bland and boring... Hell, Duke Nukem was a more likeable character than any of them. But since you appear to be a BioWare fanboy, you probably won't understand how people can have different opinions and not like the trash they put out, so you'll probably come to tell me how I'm wrong about all that and can't play games where I have to "think" or some stupid shit.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
DeaDRabbiT said:
Srkkl said:
amaranth_dru said:
Hey, aside from the horribad-Batman he was, Val Kilmer is awesome.

Here's a list of great movies with Val Kilmer in no order in particular:

HEAT
Felon (hell you don't even know its Val Kilmer til you see him in the credits, which in that movie reminds me of Gary Oldman, an actor who you don't always recognize in a movie because he's just that awesome)

True Romance

Willow (Madmartigan anyone?)

Real Genius (best Val Kilmer Movie EVAR)

Top Gun (ok, I'm a Top Gun fan, fuck you all if you flame me for it)

Prince of Egypt (he was fucking MOSES)

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (yes it was a Nick Cage movie, but despite people's hate for Nick Cage, I love him, and this movie was great as was Val Kilmer)

and finally....

Tombstone (BEST Doc Holliday EVER)

Now... Jim, I love your show, I love your ideas... but please don't use actors being voice actors in a videogame as a reason the game is shit unless you can honestly back that statement up with good reason).
You forgot Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Great movie, and Val really made it as good as it was.
It was a team effort. Val was just a piece of it.
One of the best pieces in my opinion haha.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Why isn't Mindjack on this list?

The game has so many glitches, such bad AI, and such bad design it is barely functional at all.

The story not only doesn't make sense, I the story I swear is trying to go actively out of it's way to break all forms of logic and story telling.

About five hours into the game, the main character asks what this "mindhacking" thing is. You know, the THING HE HAS BEEN DOING THE ENTIRE GAME?

Magnus

Dec 12, 2011
I agree with everything in the top 10 but I would have expected Rage to be there what with the texture pop-ins, the vehicle based illusion of a sand-box and PC owners of the game getting shafted by id as regards to post release patches.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That two-word dismissal of Knights Contract made me laugh the most. Seriously, that steaming pile of shit doesn't even deserve this much recognition.