Jimquisition: The Trap Of Gamer Gratitude

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Trap Of Gamer Gratitude

When a publisher fixes a problem, think twice before you say thanks.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
There was an unusual calmness in this episode, perhaps to give the message that you shouldn't fall for little tricks, maybe perhaps depends?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Was the last part a reference to something? It sounds so familiar, yet it seems like I've never heard it before.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I like to think of these DLC whose whole purpose is saving time as being active wealth redistribution from people who have more money than time. It's not exactly Robin Hood taking from the rich and giving to the poor, but hey, at least game developers are straightforward about how they weasel their art grants out of millionaires.

As for Joe Average, we earn our unlocks the hard way, via the in-game reward earning system, because theoretically we've got more time than money... and if the game locks too much of its entertainment potential behind too much grinding, we play something else, and the game just stagnates without its audience.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No Jim, you're wrong. These people ARE fucking stupid. And this is why I don't have any faith in consumers.

arsenalabu

Iron Maiden's backup Trombonist
May 26, 2011
Was that an ...Irish accent? I know Aidan Gillen is Irish, but I never thought Petyr Baelish used an accent like... that.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Transdude1996 said:
Was the last part a reference to something? It sounds so familiar, yet it seems like I've never heard it before.
Game of Thrones specifically, but it's invoking the larger trope of "you can't trust someone who warns you not to trust anyone, because they'll turn on you."

Jim's saying all corporations and stuff are going to watch out for themselves, and he's not wrong. He also says you can trust him, because he's your friend... but that's being done tongue-in-cheek, because he (and The Escapist), of course, wants your views and page clicks.

The difference between Jim and the Garden Warfare stuff is that Jim is trying to attract your views and page clicks by consistently producing excellent, well reasoned, and impeccably argued concepts. EA is designing games that are a pain in the ass to play in order to trick you into spending money on them.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Even worse is the idea that we should want to decrease the amount of time we spend playing a game we paid for. Shouldn't we instead buy missions, map packs etc that increase our playing time? More money = more hours of fun?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I actually thought Jim was doing a pirate impression towards the end. It didn't occur to me that it was supposed to be Littlefinger until the mention of "Sansa".

As for the episode itself, I just want to say one thing about what Jim said at the beginning: it's nice that Sony responded to your video, but as far as improvements to the Vita and its services goes it's just another case of "I'll believe it when I see it." for me.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
They don't deserve your gratitude. You don't give them money to thank them. They should be thanking you for buying their products. They should be grateful every time you shell out some of your hard-earned cash to play their game. They don't own you. They don't give you pennies from heaven. They're here to do a job, and you're the one that ultimately decides if they deserve a payday. If a game is shit, you let them know. If they fix it, you tell them "and don't let it happen again." Don't be their *****. They're YOUR *****. They bark at your command because you have the money to offer. Thank god for Jim.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
EA doing what it can to stay financially afloat in a mire of bad publicity they just can't seem to get out of. I still wonder what will happen if and when they finally sink like THQ and people have game libraries trapped on Origin.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
At least we got some good news this week, that is Sony is listening and willing to do what ir can to make things better.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
I think it's something to do with Dungeons & Dragons and/or Pokémon or some other nerdy shite.

-----
Great show, btw.; I wish I could believe that it was only children (i.e. everyone under the age of 20) that seem to be confused as to publisher-motivation regarding these business practices within the gaming industry (or any industry, for that matter). Unfortunately life has taught me otherwise.....

But, it is not yet time to become cynical. Fair business practices, respect for the consumer and overall common sense still have a chance in this world.

We can still be saved.

We can still win.

If only there was someone to lead the charge. Someone we should thank god for.

Hmmmmmmm........

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Thank God for Jim, since I'm beyond exasperated with the freemium market -- all the more when EA again charges for a game upfront then adds freemium content to it. Then again, as Kotaku shows, people find just the best rationalizations for the constant bs publishers and developers love to push. Honestly, the idea of gratitude towards a company just seems so alien, now if the game were 100% free then I'd understand it but, after that, it's a transaction, what reason is their to be so slavishly grateful?

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011

I think this needs to be updated.

It's really dirty to take advantage of other's gullibility for profit.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
Brilliant message that more people need to hear. And the closing joke almost made me choke on my tea. Please do the Baelish accent every day of your life. Please.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
"Tank God for me!"

Anyone else get a mental image of Jim as some kind of grotesquely-cool cyborg-human-tank deity combination with robot lobster hands, tank treads and laser beams coming out of his eyes?

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
This is why I gave up part way through pvz 2 and never bothered with warfare. This attitude is plastered all over EA and the mobile market. Sadly it's such old news now it's a 'thanks' or ignored response from many people. Not sure what to do at this point though?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
For shame Mike Fahey, for shame.

Sometimes I wonder why so many argue against their own self interest.